Author Topic: New Here  (Read 10023 times)

Nicole

Re: New Here
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 02:45:02 am »
hahah...well, there are bacteria in the lake, but unless the dogs drink a whole bunch of lake water, there isn't any problems. And even then, they just get runny poo for a little while if anything. Ask Julie, her Dane Gweck insists on drinking boatloads of the water every time he goes to the beach!

Don't worry...I used to work for the Health Department and now for the Soil and Water Conservation District, so I'm an "expert" on this issue! And we've been taking Cabeza to the beach for about 6 years now!

Did you just move to the area?

Offline Sweetkisses07

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 03:03:06 am »
hahah...well, there are bacteria in the lake, but unless the dogs drink a whole bunch of lake water, there isn't any problems. And even then, they just get runny poo for a little while if anything. Ask Julie, her Dane Gweck insists on drinking boatloads of the water every time he goes to the beach!

Don't worry...I used to work for the Health Department and now for the Soil and Water Conservation District, so I'm an "expert" on this issue! And we've been taking Cabeza to the beach for about 6 years now!

Did you just move to the area?

I moved here in Dec 04. And I have never been in a lake period...let alone here. All I know is that the close certain beaches alot during the summer. Im originally from here...but we moved when I was 2 and was raised in FL. I spent like 19 yrs in FL (Im 23 now). And this is MY first puppy. We`ve had dogs my whole life but Madisyn is my first just being mine and only mine and I just tend to worry about her. If shes eating enough,gaining enough weight,getting appropriate exercise....al l that fun stuff.

Nicole

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 03:55:35 am »
Oh ya had to go and get me started...;)

They close the beaches due to high e.coli counts. e.coli is a fecal coliform bacteria (it lives in fecal matter) that in and of itself isn't really a big problem but is an indicator of other types of intestional critters that CAN cause some problems.

Here's the thing with the beach closings, they collect the water samples early in the morning. The test is a 24 hour culture test. If the culture shows high bacteria, they close the beach. So, they'r closing the beach on the day AFTER the bacteria was collected, you see what I'm saying? They never know what the ACTUAL bacteria counts are until the day after they close the beach.

And that is only certain beaches that have that problem. The e.coli comes from the poop of birds and stuff. So, its highest at Washington Park and some of the beaches in the state park.

I understand you being concerned about your first pup! But, don't worry about Lake Michigan. She'll be fine swimming in the lake. And so will you! It doesn't get warm until like, the end of July or August, though! So, it might be fun for Madi but not you!!!

Offline Sweetkisses07

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 09:53:47 pm »
Oh ya had to go and get me started...;)

They close the beaches due to high e.coli counts. e.coli is a fecal coliform bacteria (it lives in fecal matter) that in and of itself isn't really a big problem but is an indicator of other types of intestional critters that CAN cause some problems.

Here's the thing with the beach closings, they collect the water samples early in the morning. The test is a 24 hour culture test. If the culture shows high bacteria, they close the beach. So, they'r closing the beach on the day AFTER the bacteria was collected, you see what I'm saying? They never know what the ACTUAL bacteria counts are until the day after they close the beach.

And that is only certain beaches that have that problem. The e.coli comes from the poop of birds and stuff. So, its highest at Washington Park and some of the beaches in the state park.

I understand you being concerned about your first pup! But, don't worry about Lake Michigan. She'll be fine swimming in the lake. And so will you! It doesn't get warm until like, the end of July or August, though! So, it might be fun for Madi but not you!!!

Thanks for the information. I guess it ouldnt hurt to let Madie go in. Its probably no better than ocean water. And I already know she loves water. She has a little wading pool (the kid kind) and its filled up. We were outside playing Sunday and she jumped in and started splashing and trying to eat the water. She did the same thing last night when we were outside. Shes so goofy

Nicole

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2007, 09:56:15 pm »
I would say that its about the same as ocean water, really. Without the salt, that is.

Offline Sweetkisses07

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2007, 02:01:59 am »
I would say that its about the same as ocean water, really. Without the salt, that is.

IS it an actual dog "beach"?? Are there alot of people that bring their pups?

Nicole

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2007, 02:37:25 am »
It is the only beach in the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore where you can bring dogs.

They are technically supposed to be leashed. I never leash Cabeza unless there's a lot of people there. We go there all winter and he's unleashed.

A LOT of people bring their dogs there. Its sort of the unofficial dog beach. Everyone with dogs knows about it, and everyone tries really hard to keep it clean so that we don't get booted.

Offline Sweetkisses07

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2007, 02:54:32 am »
OK thank you for all the info. Madisyn stays leashed all the time unless we are at home in our fenced in yard. She tends not to like to come in or come back when you call her unless you say "come get a biscuit" We might try there Saturday. I havent decided yet. Depends on the weather and how many more baths I have to give her before Friday. Since last friday she has had 3.Im trying not to do damage to her skin but she gets so nasty. She jumps in her pool and rolls in the dirt and comes out completely filthy. I even had to get a new collar for her b/c of it becoming just plain nasty and to the point where it looks dirty even when its clean.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2007, 08:29:33 am »
Hello and welcome to BPO!

Sounds like you are finding your way around fine here, already making plans to meet people........ lol.

My name is Chris, and my crew consists of Keiko (my first dog) a 9 yr old husky/shep mix, Gunther, a 2 yr old great dane, and Nigel and Posey, two 1 yr old rat terriers.