Author Topic: So, okay like an idiot...  (Read 4267 times)

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
So, okay like an idiot...
« on: June 02, 2007, 11:19:01 pm »
I threw away the IAMS large puppy breed dogfood bag that shows the serving size amount on it...and Peyton keeps looking hungrier everytime she eats.  :-\ I am thinking that maybe since she is growing bigger, she should get more food. I thought I remembered seeing that age is more of an issue in serving size, but now I am thinking weight!  :P

If anyone has "IAMS Large Breed Puppy Food" (and still has the bag), can someone please tell me how much we should be feeding her????!!!!  :D She weighs (aprx.) 22-25 lbs. and she is now 14 weeks old.

THANKS!!! (I tried google-ing it and I came up with nothing!)  ;)
Your house isn't a home until you have made a bed for a dog.

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: So, okay like an idiot...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 06:19:43 am »
THANKS guys!!! So now a new question, what brand should we be feeding her? My mom keeps saying Eucanuba (sp) but yeah...which one is better? I don't want to get into the really expensive ones...I want to keep it at about the same price range. Anyway, gotta run. Thanks!

Offline Bernertomboi

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 06:36:02 am »
I feed my little man Innova, but we were feeding him Purina One Large Breed Puppy.  He seemed to get full after about 2 cups of it (he was 12lbs and 9 weeks old).  We are pretty lucky though Maddax (supervised) self regulates. 

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 07:27:11 am »
I have never been one to follow the feeding directions on the bags of dog food.  I've always considered that just a suggestion and let my puppy dictate how much they need to eat.  So I would say that if Peyton is still acting really hungry after eating her amount of food I would put more down and see at what amount she starts to act full. 

Also if you are looking at changing brands but want a moderate priced food that Natural Balance is a good food.  I had my dogs on it for a long time and I never had any problems with it.  I changed mine to Innova EVO because Kaila was losing weight due to her meds and Natural Balance wasn't putting any weight back on her.  EVO has changed all that and my 3 love their food and look great too. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 07:30:45 am »
Thanks for the info on good pet food distributors, Julie!  I'm going to be needing them soon!

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 08:02:16 am »
Ouch! Guess glad I don't live in Canada! Here I pay about $43 for a 40 lb bag of Canidae. A feed store where my sister lives (1.5 hour from me) has it for $35 and Innova for a couple bucks cheaper! I can't find Innova that cheap anywhere around me unfortunately. Mine are 5 mos old now and they eat 5 cups a day each.

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 07:34:53 pm »
For puppies I NEVER follow the directions on the bag  They are only guidelines and each puppy needs to be considered differently.  For each meal I always feed enough so that there is a little left over in the bowl. That might be 2 cups for one puppy- 4 cups for another. So I don't measure - I just fill up the bowls- what is left over can be for the next meal.  The puppies are always in excellant condition- not fat, not thin.  I also feed a high quality food with minimal grains and they do eat less in volume. 

Offline Sweetkisses07

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 02:45:21 am »
IM feeding Madisyn Canidae All Stages. It contains no wheat,soy,corn or fillers. She loves it and its good for her. It contains healthy ingredients and it dide make the list for the top dog foods. It isnt that much more than the regular brands of dog food that you buy at WalMart or the grocery. THe regular All Stages (which contains fish,lamb,chicken and another meat product) is about 22-23 for a 20lb bag and about 34 for a 40lb bag. The Chicken and Rice is a little cheaper but it only contains just that chicken and rice. My dogs have gotten bored with it honestly.

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 07:21:45 am »
hahaha! i never knew there was SO much to think about in chosing DOG food! i don't mean that as an issult to the canine species...but ya'll understand right?!

i am gonna check out the Pet Supplies on S. Emerson tomorrow after work. Thanks SO SO SO much with all the info and advice and ideas! you truely have helped me out LOTS already...and she is only 14 weeks! hehehe!  ;D