Author Topic: New here and new puppy and Question  (Read 12236 times)

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
New here and new puppy and Question
« on: June 10, 2007, 12:18:10 pm »
HEllo all. MY name is  Britainy.  I  just adopted a 8 week ol' Rotti x  but  mostly  rotti  puppy  from the  spca about a week ago. His name  is  Zeus.
THis is not are first  pup  but are first  rotti. and I am a little worried, I have two  childern  3yrs ol' and 1' yr  and I   just woudl liek to know  of any one else  with small childeren and rottis also  ones that  got  brought up with  kids if all worked out ok 
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: New here and new puppy and Question
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 12:56:42 pm »
Welcome to BPO and congrats on the cute addition!!
 As far as Rotts and kids go....

We got our Rottie pup (Bear~ now deceased) when my son was 2yo (this was 15 years ago). He was wonderful with him and later with the arrival of my second child some 5 years later. Bear was a wonderfil dog with everything and everyone he met the secret is supervision, training, and socialization.

I will caution you though...if a Rottie is allowed to play "ref" for games involving your kids and their friends your children will ALWAYS win so keep a VERY close eye or have that be crate time for him.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 02:43:09 pm »
Welcome!  Zeus is adorable!!  I don't have any Rotti experience, but you are getting some wonderful feedback from people that have had or do have them.  I'd second (or third) the "socialize" advice.  I just think that is so important for all breeds of dogs.  I'm so glad that you adopted Zeus and that he has a loving home.  Congratulation s and I'm glad that you found BPO.

Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 11:05:49 pm »
Thank  you all for the wonderfull advice and the welcomes.  Zeus and  my kiddos is  one thing that  kinda  worries me it  never did untill every one   started  looking at me  funny when I  said  i got him.  THere comments always  were "What you want him to eat your childeren" 

I see  some of you all  have Great Danes..   I  grew up  with a great  Dane  bless his heart  he had to get  put  down  do to  heart  problems  when  he was only  4. 
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 11:14:31 pm »

Oh, yeah.  You'll start to find that you meet ALL sorts of people with weird opinions.  I'll bet that a good portion of us with big dogs have gotten those kinds of comments.  And if we don't have kids yet its "Well what will you do with him once you have kids!?"  ::)

Just ignore them and enjoy your new pup!!!  ;D

Thanks..  Yeah   some  ppl  really are bull headed when it  comes to bigger  dogs. MY grandfather  wasnt  happy at all when  he s een  zeus.. Sence  we  were at  first  looking for a golden  Retiever. BUt when I seen  Zeus at the SPCA i Feel in love  with him and  my hubby  did to .  i have been  doing a lot of  research on the  breed and  training etc.. 
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 03:11:01 am »
What a cute puppy!!!!!!!  i don't have small kids but Grace loves kids.  When i had her and Lady they both loved the neighbor kids.  :)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 03:25:09 am »
Welcome!
I have no experience with your breed except for my mother in laws brother who always had one since they had kids and when their first one died, they got another because they loved them so much. I know she's a big sweetheart when I've been around her and they've never had an issue with any kids, my oldest daughter has been around her since she was a toddler. You've gotten some great advice about socialization and not just with your kids but outside kids, I know I've been told that many times when it comes to my dogs too. I have an almost 3 year old and a 1 yr old too and my dogs mostly ignore them when they are around them hahah, if they don't it's because they've got food or they want to smother them in kisses as they walk past. :D My pups are 5 mos old and of course dwarf the kids already but they're great with them. My kids are a bit intimidated by their size and don't like kisses so much but I figure they'll get used to it. ;)

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 03:48:37 am »
Thank you  everyone  for your comments. IM   sure Zeus will be great  with the kids in no time I have been  keeping h im  socialized with  my childeren  and  we will be taking  him  with us  camping etc  this year. As  for s ocializing with  other  dogs it may be alittle more tricker  due to my moms  dog is a  Little  yorkie and my  grandmother  has two  baby  pugs. LOL so   well  him and my  grams  one  pug  are the same  age and well his paw is the same  size as her lill girl  lmao
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 04:41:06 am »
we want more pictures. 
he's got huge paws!  looks like a really big boy in the making. 

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 04:52:44 am »
LOve the photos..  to  cute  so many  ppl  are bull heade don them and think  thereo nly meet  for  killing, and  gaurding when they are  just like  any other  dog.

LOL Lin Ill go post  some in the photos  right away I  gotta  take  soem  new ones  too lol  His  front  Paws are  huge. HE has avet appt on thursday  due to  his one  back  paw  keeps  causing him  problems the one  toe  sticks  out  way farther than the rest and  when  he jumps and hits it in the right  spot  he will  yelp IM hopping its nothing terrible but  I know  that  him and  his mom and other  siblings  were toook  away  from the recent owners  before they  came to the spca
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 07:06:41 am »
when Michelle reads this she'll have a lot of good advise.  she's got a little girl and a male rott. 
and Blair would know about this too.

i love him in his camp chair. 

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 07:10:05 am »
LOL  LIn about the chap chair.. Zeus  is  aturd  when it  comes to  are fold out  chairs he will try to sit in them  before  us as soon as I get  up he has to sit there lol

Any advice  will be great..
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 09:28:11 am »
Awwwwe, Zeus is so cute!

I can't give advice on raising kids around dogs as I don't have kids of my own, but usually if the dog is of a friendly personality and well socialized, they should be fine even around strange kids.......... ..at least I've found that the case with my own dogs.

I wouldn't worry about socializing him around other dogs either, even small dogs.  Most small dogs can hold their own just fine and tolerate puppies much more than adults.  Heck, Gunther outweighs my smallest, Posey, by about 120 lbs and they have decided they are boyfriend and girlfriend and adore one another (even if Posey is still occasionally intimidated)............lo l.

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 09:43:27 am »
Yeah  we may   wait awile  before  he meets the bugs sence  there so little yet  But  my moms  yorkie  will probley  meet  him soon sence  we tend to go camping 2gether  for  The july long lol
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 12:05:38 pm »
Thank you  everyone  for your comments. IM sure Zeus will be great with the kids in no time I have been keeping him  socialized with my childeren and we will be taking him  with us camping etc this year. As for socializing with  other dogs it may be alittle more tricker due to my moms  dog is a Little yorkie and my grandmother has two baby  pugs. LOL so well him and my grams one pug arethe same age and well his paw is the same size as her lill girl  lmao

I highly suggest signing up for a puppy class. Being socialized to only a few dogs is not enough. Also as soon as he has 2 vaccines (or more if your vet says so) start getting him out in public serveral times a week to meet people of all shapes, ages, color, ect....