Author Topic: The dreaded Car...  (Read 6434 times)

Offline Ice Blue

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
The dreaded Car...
« on: June 17, 2007, 10:48:27 pm »
I have no idea what to do about Remy's hatred of the car. He dreads going near it, and when on the back seat, he drools profusely, which I know is a stress response. That's the only time he drools, and I swear he was a newf. Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can help Remy with his fear? I've thought about going and sitting in the car with him, just sitting not moving, but I don't know how much that would help. I also make a little den for him with a towel, which helps somewhat. I make sure to have a lot of towel on the seat. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have so much driving to do, but I have to go a long way for his training. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!! Thanks!

Caitlin
Caitlin

Remy - German Shepherd (7 mths)
Copper - Shetland Sheepdog (14 yrs)
Birch - Lizard (Mali Uromastyx)

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: The dreaded Car...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 11:31:21 pm »
i think the sitting in the car sounds like a good idea, like practicing, and maybe you could try to make it fun, incorporate some treats, and a toy or something, try to get the mind on something other than the dreaded car. maybe pupper will decide it's something fun instead. maybe if you opened all the doors, i wonder if its the small space, or the movement? good luck!!
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 11:42:17 pm »
Do you think that he gets car sick? My brother's beagle used to be like that about the car, and once they started giving her dramamine for the rides, she was much better. Just a thought.

The den idea is probably a pretty good one. You might want to take it a step further and add a travel crate, if you can. It might make him feel more secure. Also, I'd say lots and lots of treats! Associate the car with num-nums and fun!

Offline Ice Blue

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 02:34:39 am »
He really gets car sick, he has vomited on several occasions, so we give him Gravol. It help with his nausea, but not the drooling. It's a pretty small car so I don't know if crate would fit, we have a seat belt for him and think that helps with him feeling secure, especially with turn. I think sitting in the car with treats would be best, that's a really good idea! I'm going to try everything you guys suggested! lol  ;D Thanks!

Caitlin
Caitlin

Gemz

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 04:31:27 am »
Ginger is a really good natural remedy for car sickness, maybe some of his treats could include ginger biscuits?

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 05:38:51 am »
Ginger is a really good natural remedy for car sickness, maybe some of his treats could include ginger biscuits?
you know ive heard of that before...you're right
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline Ice Blue

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 01:49:30 am »
Really good idea about the ginger biscuits, thanks! I feel so badly for him, I'll try anything. Thanks Katie, I'm going to watch the video right now!  :) He's such a silly boy, when he hears the car unlock, he drops down on the front grass and won't move! It's kinda funny, in a not so good way.
Caitlin

Icerotti

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 01:57:06 am »
Rosie is not too hot on car rides either. I find if I take her for a walk  and tire her out a bit before getting in the car helps..althoug h it not alwlays convient to go for a walk beforehand.

Offline Ice Blue

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 03:15:20 am »
Rescue Remedy is a great idea, especially since I happen to have some in the house already  ;D I think I just need to keep at it with him. It was the same with his crate, he hated it at first, and now he loves it, so hopefully the car will be the same.
Caitlin