Author Topic: Outside Dogs.. Question Concerns etc..  (Read 26427 times)

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
Outside Dogs.. Question Concerns etc..
« on: June 19, 2007, 02:20:42 am »
Ok I will start by  saying I have grown up   with  dogs  from  Great danes - Yorkies. Blue Hellers, Black labs,and Dobbies. They were all outside dogs only inside  in the boot  room part in the winter when it was to cold  for them to be outside.

Before  Zeus I had a husky  who wouldn't come in the house  even  if you tried  bribbing her with a treat she wouldn't  step in. Even on the coldest days and blizzarding weather  she would  stay out  never wanted in we tried to get her to come in  but no way.

She (Nikki) ended up passing away 2 years ago :( She was a great dog  loved to run.

Well I have  been looking things  up  and  have read  lots that  rotti's  should  not be an outside only  dog that  they well  dominate etc.. and they  need  to be  in the house  with there owner all the time.. If i could I would have him as an indoor dog but he seems to love it outside also  Letting him  be an inside dog would not go over good  due to my hubby  doesnt  like  big dogs in the house and believe there best place is outside. In the winter sence i live in  Northern Alberta he will be in the porch on them  cold cold days
Well  I dont know  if there is any one else on  here that s dogs are outside only and I know on another  message  board I was  reading at that is for rottis only I Was alarmed how ppl  got  very ignorant  with a question about  a dog spending  most time outside.
Zeus has a huge  dog house that sheldon  built  him  for out side with  a big  blanket in it. He is feed all the time and  We go outside with him for long periods at a time. Of course when it is raining we dont go out as much to see him but we still go out and play with him a little. We do  take him  with us to town  and also  will be taking him on holidays  like  camping  etc.  Im  just  now  even  more so worrie dthat Im  going to mess up on him and he wont  be a good dog if he is  outside only does any one have or know of any one that has or had a rotti that was outside only? 

~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

angelsmama

Re: Outside Dogs.. Question Concerns etc..
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 02:34:02 am »
I have a Rottweiler mix who is an outside dog (she hates cats, we have 2 inside, and my mom is allergic to her). She is just fine.. Actually she isn't happy inside, I sneak her in sometimes but she always ends up at the door wanting outside pretty quick.. Here's a pic of her on her leash during bath time :)

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 02:38:41 am »
i think wherever the dog is happy is where it should be, i used to have a dachshund that HATED to be inside he would pout and sit by the back door untill i let him back out. it's just personal..er dog preferance
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 03:55:00 am »
My dog loves winter and spends days and some nights sleeping on the deck in the snow. The summer is different though, and there is no way I can push her outside in 95F.

I am with Stella...I don't see the point of having a dog and to keep it outside 24/7 unless it is the dog's choice
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Nicole

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 04:08:03 am »
I also don't wish to be argumentative, but I agree with Stella and PeopleWhispere r.

I don't think that its ignorant to say that dogs are domesticated animals, no longer equipped to handle the elements and all that goes with them. The elements aren't the only issue with outside dogs. There are predators, stray dogs, rotten kids with sticks and rocks, A-hole neighbors that want to poison your dog for barking, snakes, etc.

Your dog is your responsibility, and you can't be fully responsible for them if they're outside all of the time. I've never thought outside dogs were OK, and I'm only telling you because you asked.

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 04:18:07 am »
Certain dogs are better equiped to handle weather conditions. A husky or Sammy generally likes the cold...I don't own a rott, But my danes would kill me in my sleep if I left them out in cold weather. DOgs are pack animals, they want to be with their pack(In most cases we are the pack). There are exceptions... we have 2 smaller dogs that refuse to house train. They have a shadded kennel the is about 40X40 with a dog house and trees for shade. During the summer they spend 90% of their time out there. They get daily attention and they have each other to keep company.  I don't agree with chaining any dog unless it is just a tie out for potty time. JMO
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 04:27:14 am »
Zeus is  never tied up out side he has  free range of the yard,  water and  food. His  dog  house is right  next to the house  were there is always  shade.  In the winter he will probely be  in the house  due to  it  gets to cold here in the winter.  We have  NO neighbours we live way out in the sticks.  Will be no pesky  childeren  but my own two  and they  are allready  good  with him  there only 3 and 1.  This is not my first dog and I know that  the  dog is my responcebility . He gets the same amount of attention outside from us as he would indoors.

angelsmama,
Your  dog is adorable
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 04:30:44 am by Britz »
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Nicole

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 04:37:41 am »
Zeus is  never tied up out side he has  free range of the yard,  water and  food. His  dog  house is right  next to the house  were there is always  shade.  In the winter he will probely be  in the house  due to  it  gets to cold here in the winter.  We have  NO neighbours we live way out in the sticks.  Will be no pesky  childeren  but my own two  and they  are allready  good  with him  there only 3 and 1.  This is not my first dog and I know that  the  dog is my responcebility . He gets the same amount of attention outside from us as he would indoors.

angelsmama,
Your  dog is adorable

Well, you asked us for our concerns. I was just listing what came to mind. :)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 04:45:58 am »
Maybe if he had a playmate? He could be a little happier 
Just a thought ;)
Mary W. Crane

Offline DoDadsandDanes

• Ankle Biter
  • every time a bell rings, an angels gets its wings
    • View Profile
    • MySpace.com/dodadsandchotskiestuff
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 04:59:06 am »
I too am a non-confrontational person
My dogs are inside dogs period. When they are out one of us is out there with them within a few minutes. I freak outif I dont know where they are..

There is a family across the street from us with 2 rotties. They are outside from early morning until late evening year round. They eat outside and go under the deck in bad weather or to get away from the sun. They sleep in the garage so that they dont ruin their hardwood floors. They say they are great dogs and would never hurt anyone. My only thoughts are, how do they even know? With very limited human contact how do they know?
Im not comparing this to anyone elses situation here at all.. these dogs dont have a dog house and their humans are never outside with them..just telling a story that in my opinion seems very sad for the dogs..  :( again,why bother having any dogs at all?
If your dogs are happy and dont like to be inside then that is another story entirely..  :) :) :)

Lisa
Maggie 11 mo Dane
Faye 3 mo Dane
Disclaimer: If this post includes anything resembling advice, please note that it most likely has been borrowed from someone more knowledgeable than myself..

Icerotti

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 05:10:37 am »
Puck our rotti loves to be outside. He does not stay out all night but when the weather is nice he likes to be out for most of the day. It is probably to get away from Farley...lol He also loves being with us inside. He loves to get on the couch and cuddle with us until he gets too hot or has had enough. This seems to be a good mix of inside outside time for him.

Offline RacheH

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 05:24:46 am »
Hello,

I'm afraid i have to agree with Jodi, Nicole, People whisperer, gr8dame, jacksmom, and all the rest who are for dogs being indoors. I don't want to reiterate all the points made, but just to give a small example:

our next-door neighbours rottie is kept out all year round and just 2 weeks ago a snake bit him and if it hadn't been for my mom who just happened to be in our garden and saw the snake and then a few minutes later realized that he was drooling too much and unsteady on his feet, he would have died. It was 6AM. He also gets very sick during winter (he has a huge dog house also, and a big garden and access to his food and water and a thick blanket), but he's always shaking so badly that at times i sit with him under the rain to keep him company.

As winter is pouring with rain half the time i cant' see how you'd be able to spend much time with him, and that'll be very hard on him being away from his loved ones. It's great though that you take him places with you, that's a plus, but really, think about moving him indoors, at least into the kitchen but not the rest of the house if your hubby is THAT uncomfortable with him being indoors. Just a thought. Ta.
"There is no such thing as a Bad Dog..."

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 06:30:55 am »
Here is an example of a dog which is totally happy outside, LMAO!!! People, you have to agree!

Mary W. Crane

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 06:43:26 am »
there's gunner the weiner,i got a dachshund for an indoor dog, and this was where he always ended up outdoors. he would cry by the back door if id make him come in. of course, we also had the apropriate acommodations for him outside too since dachshunds are NOT outdoor dogs, he had a big heated shed for wintertime, and of course was gladly let in when ever he'd come in. i do think that most dogs like to be with the rest of the pack as stated earlier, and that is the way it should be. my 3 boys do not like being out alone at all! they are fairly put out by the idea. but since ive had the dachshund experience, i guess there can be acceptions.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 06:47:33 am »
that's a wonderfull pic i love it
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog