Author Topic: Outside Dogs.. Question Concerns etc..  (Read 26354 times)

angelsmama

Re: Outside Dogs.. Question Concerns etc..
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 06:54:15 am »
angel is very happy outside. she has a pen , a nice house (insulated , shingles , siding and everything) , plenty of toys , shaded..  and i go out with her daily. she gets almost daily walks.

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 06:56:49 am »
The people on the other form were not ignorant, they just didn't agree with you. Two totally different things.

Actually I didn't  ask anything on  the  other  forum  I was  reading  some stuff on the subject  in  the archives.

I  understand  everything you guys are saying here and i do  agree with you  don't get me  wrong in this matter at  all. I will actually  be  talking to hubby tonight and  getting him to read your guys  comments on this matter  I had  brought it up to him  but  He didn't  really like the idea. But  maybe  once  he reads  everything  things might  change. I seriously  don't  know what to  say IM  not  a horrible  person, Its just that  we have always  had out side  dogs h*ll I have had outdoor  dogs sense i can  remember, But  no matter what  we have welcomed them to come in  to the house its not like  they are  bounded outside at all times they  can  come in for a little bit.. h*ll  Zeus was  just  running  in are downstairs an hour are so ago  trying to  hid are shoes on  us. Of course he rather  go back outside to play with cat * ill have to get  pics IT  really  cute*   Thank you all for your input and I'm sorry if i sounded upset  earlier I was i wont lie I have been  having a h*ll of a day  and  it  just  felt like  Ya all thought I  was   the worst person  in the world  and that  I was some one that  shouldn't have animals what  upset me I Was  the child bringing  home orphaned Ducklings, kittens,  Dogs.  I  got  Zeus  from  the Shelter sence i wanted to get one  from a shelter that  was abandoned.

I really hope you all  don't look at me  horribly  due to this matter

~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007, 07:04:47 am »
no no body said that at all, opinions were given honestly and openly :) that's what i like about this site, you can ask any question and trust to get true honest answers. it's like your one good friend who tells you you accualy look like a chub in the dress, when every one else says you look great. it's good there's at least one place we can all go for honesty! ;D
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2007, 07:06:02 am »
You are not a horrible person! Don't even go there!!! We all live in different surroundings with different people. Communication is the key. We all are learning things daily from each other. And it is the most important! Good luck talking her hubby into bringing your dog in your lifes for real!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Icerotti

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2007, 07:09:19 am »
You are not a horrible person. Everyone walks in different shoes. People have to do what works for them and thier situation. Whatever you decide it sounds like your baby will be well cared for.  :)

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2007, 07:13:46 am »
no no body said that at all, opinions were given honestly and openly :) that's what i like about this site, you can ask any question and trust to get true honest answers. it's like your one good friend who tells you you accualy look like a chub in the dress, when every one else says you look great. it's good there's at least one place we can all go for honesty! ;D

LMAO   Ok Im going to have to go take  a pic of myself in  some raddy ol' dress and see  about  that  hahahaha  j/k

You are not a horrible person! Don't even go there!!! We all live in different surroundings with different people. Communication is the key. We all are learning things daily from each other. And it is the most important! Good luck talking her hubby into bringing your dog in your lifes for real!

I  surely will try  Im hopping if  he reads all this and a bunch of info I found earlier he may  let  Zeus in for awile OR if  he doesnt  ill just  have to  let him  in  durring the day  lol .. Im sure Sheldon wouldnt  mind  at night  for a bit or something.
You are not a horrible person. Everyone walks in different shoes. People have to do what works for them and thier situation. Whatever you decide it sounds like your baby will be well cared for. :)

Thank you..  The whole indoor / outdoor is a debatable  subject i guess lol. I know I have seen  many times  how ppl  dont care for there dogs at all out doors my INlawas are like that I actually took  there dog to the vet   a couple  times to make sure she  got all her shots.  Zeus is  loved and we are allready  so attached to him.. 
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2007, 07:25:48 am »
Sorry People Whisperer... I made it really tiny.  Here it is again. And, BTW, I'm totally LMAO...I didn't see Lilly in her kennel at first!
I thought Lily had that 12 pack...he-hee
Mary W. Crane

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2007, 08:00:38 am »
I just thought I would throw in my .02 worth too.  I had outside dogs only when I was growing up.  My mom didn't want them in the house except on really cold days or really bad weather.  They were well taken care of and happy campers.  My dogs now are indoor dogs and I love it.  I have my pups with me and really they only want to be where I am anyway so it works out great for us. 
Perhaps if your husband is opposed to the idea of an indoor dog compromise with him and do set up times that the pup will be inside.  Then slowly build up those times until Zeus is inside full time.  I think both you and Zeus would be happiest if he was with you all the time. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2007, 08:06:05 am »
I just thought I would throw in my .02 worth too.  I had outside dogs only when I was growing up.  My mom didn't want them in the house except on really cold days or really bad weather.  They were well taken care of and happy campers.  My dogs now are indoor dogs and I love it.  I have my pups with me and really they only want to be where I am anyway so it works out great for us. 
Perhaps if your husband is opposed to the idea of an indoor dog compromise with him and do set up times that the pup will be inside.  Then slowly build up those times until Zeus is inside full time.  I think both you and Zeus would be happiest if he was with you all the time. 

Thats  a great  idea lol Just  cant  let  him  see these last posts hahaha  so he has no clue what im going to try out  lol  TO train the hubby,& the dog.   
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2007, 08:13:52 am »

Thats  a great  idea lol Just  cant  let  him  see these last posts hahaha  so he has no clue what im going to try out  lol  TO train the hubby,& the dog.   
When I was 12 my parents told me that I can't have a dog and I really worked hard and got one a year later! There are some people on this board who made their loved ones love what they love. It takes time and stubbornness,you will get there girl! 
Mary W. Crane

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2007, 08:16:30 am »
i agree with people whisperer
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2007, 08:34:49 am »
People whisperer,
well I am  mighty stubborn I was the only child  for  8  years lol
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2007, 11:30:15 am »
I think you should just work on hubby for awhile!!  Maybe if he realizes Zeus has been in the house and the house is still in one piece he'll let up!

As for the board and replies.  You have to remember that you're reading, you're not hearing HOW the person is saying things!!  That is hard to do sometimes!  This board is FABULOUS!!!!  Another board that I read from time to time, that is breed specific, people will actually start arguing over something that is basically a difference of opinion (like how to teach a dog to heel) and will get VERY rude!!  Needless to say I really don't go on there much!  Bottom line, what works for some may not work for you and nobody else is living your life.  Try some of the advice, if it doesn't work move on to the next advice!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2007, 12:30:20 pm »
Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents on this issue too. I know I don't post often, but I feel I need to speak on this.

First of all, if it were possible, I would have my 2 dogs inside with me all the time. I enjoy their company. However, I am not home all the time and they cannot be trusted inside. Secondly, my parents do not want them inside all the time, and because this is their home, I respect that. Lastly, the dogs themselves do not like to be inside all the time, so they come in occasionally for a treat, or if it's too hot or too cold. Now, with that all pointed out, I will share my very honest opinion.

An outside dog is just fine. He will not be damaged simply because he is left outside all the time. He will not have training difficulties simply because he is left outside all the time. He will not necessarily be any more unhealthy becuase he is outside all the time. And he will not be any less of a good, loving, social, happy dog because he is an outdoor dog necessarily.

However, if kept in a 4 x 4 kennel ALL the time, never exercised, never played with, never trained, never interracted with, and never really loved, that WILL damage him, he WILL misbehave, he WILL NOT be socialized, and he will NOT be happy himself. Please believe me, I can't stand to drive by houses that have dogs chained outside all the time if I know the owner never interacts with them or plays with them or loves on them and all they can do with the dog is throw food in a bowl for him. Or in a small kennel that way either. That is no life for a dog. They deserve better than to be a lawn decoration. (And if the owner seldom does any of these things, it's as good as "never" in my opinion)

If I didn't want a dog around the house, I wouldn't have a dog.
Stella

This person's question is not whether they want a dog "around" the house; it's simply between inside the house or outside the house. The dog will be "around" either way. And from what I've read from this person, the dog sounds like he will have plenty of love, affection, attention, and care from his owner whether he is inside or outside the house.

"Your dog is your responsibility, and you can't be fully responsible for them if they're outside all of the time."

To be quite honest- not true. You can be irresponsible for your dog while you're standing right there too! I can think of many dog park incidents where the owner was right there and their dog attacked another dog. So even being right there doesn't guarantee nothing will happen to the dog. There are all kinds of dog-dangers inside a house too! So do you stay home all hours of the day because you can't guarantee the dog's safety otherwise? I doubt it. At least, I know I sure wouldn't. That doesn't make me any less of a responsible dog-lover though; it lets me have a life.

"When you have dogs in the house, you have a lot of chances to teach "No", "Leave it", "Down", "Sit", "Go to your crate", etc., just in every day circumstances.  It would take considerable amount of effort to match that with a dog that stays outside 24/7."

To be honest again-not true. Training a dog automatically involves a considerable amount of effort, if done right anyway. Whether you teach a dog sit in the living room or in the park, do you honestly think it makes a difference to the dog? The dog needs to learn those basic commands whether he is outside or inside, and they should be reinforced in all different kinds of settings. So either way, an outside dog should know that commands apply inside. And an inside dog should know that commands apply outside. But don't try to tell me that the setting of this teaching makes it take more time for the dog to learn or inhibits his ability to learn the commands at all.

"But will he get the proper socialization and training if he is not with you in the house?  Will he learn the intricate personalities of your household?  So-and-so likes to cuddle, but that one doesn't, Mom gives treats, but the kids give better treats.  Get my meaning? Unless he is with you 24/7, that will not happen."

And one last time to be honest again-not true! Please tell me how any of those things you mentioned will necessarily not be learned by being with you outside too? Now, if we're talking about someone wanting to own an outside dog and they never go outside, then we have a problem with teaching these things. But if you make a point of going outside to be with your dog because he is outside, then there is no problem.

As far as socialization goes, I don't care where the dog lives. It must go outside its home, wherever that may be, to get further socialization. Period. Take it to the parade. The park. A busy parking lot. A nursing home. Near the school playground. A dog park. Wherever! Guess what! All of this socialization happens away from the home. The majority of a puppy's socialization, in fact, occurs away from home. A small part, but still an important part, happens at home with the dog's family, environment, and friends. So whether inside dog or outside dog, the main part of his socializing will take place away from home. Meaning where he resides 24/7 isn't directly related to it.

When I am older and have my own home, don't get me wrong! I hope to have some full-time indoor dogs. But I will also have some outdoor only dogs. It does not harm them so long as they have a loving, caring owner who takes the time to be with them and look out for them. And that seems to be the case here. There are pros and cons either way. Choose the living environment for your dog that suits you and the dog best. But whether your dog is inside or out doesn't make you any better or less of a good owner.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 01:10:07 pm by Saint and Mal mom »
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline happiday

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All I ever do is SMILE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2007, 01:38:09 pm »
 :-X   Such a hot topic! 
Britz, I think you need to do what is best for your family.  If your top-dog (hubby) isn't cool with having dogs in the house now, his opinion needs to be respected.  As you spend time training the pup, and he becomes more used to the pup being in the house on occasion, he may warm up to Zeus being in more.  Have you thought of crate training him in the house so there's less chance of him having a 'heyday' when he's inside?  Puppies DO make messes.  I know my hubby isn't too fond of those, but he LOVES his dog!  We had a husky that, in the Summer when it was 100 degrees plus, would lay directly in the path of the cooler all day long until evening, and when it was cooler outside would refuse to come in for the night.  She liked being outside in the fresh, cool air. She even preferred to be out during the winter, except when it was raining!  She was also one that couldn't be trusted inside when we were away, but did great in our backyard until we got home.  Let me clarify that I was at home with our children most of the time, and Cheyanne would go outside for a few hours at a time when I had to be gone.  It was our routine.  She came in when we were home, which was most of the time, but out when we weren't home.  That was what was best for our family.  As I said before, you should do what is best for your family.  Every family situation is unique.  Every dog is unique.  We know you love Zeus!  It's all good!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 01:39:47 pm by happiday »
Salli, Annie's mama!