Author Topic: NEWFIE OWNERS!! HELP!  (Read 21470 times)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
NEWFIE OWNERS!! HELP!
« on: June 19, 2007, 11:56:52 pm »
I took Sierra to puppy kindergarten class last night and the trainers said something that has been bugging me.  theywere playing with her and noticed that she is starting to get her adult teeth in.  They said that's usually when a dog stops growing and that I'll be lucky if she grows another inch or so and that she will be tiny for a Newf.  She is just about as tall as our Black Lab right now.  And all of the research I've done says that Newfs grow in height for the first year and muscle up the second year.  Now if that's true, then she's got 7 more months of growing left.  And I know it may have nothing to do with it, but her parents were massive dogs...

Anyway I was hoping that since she is my first Newf and most of you have had more experience with this, can you tell me if the trainers are right?  Or his her growth rate normal?  Here are her stats:

She is 20 inches at the shoulder, 49 pounds and she is just about 5 months old.

These trainers have been training dogs for 34 years, are reputable and they breed Belgian Turverns (I know I spelled it wrong!).  I trust what they say about training dogs and caring for dogs, but hope they are mistaken because they don't deal with Newfs.  One of the major factors in my decision to get a Newf is because they are such large dogs.  I love my girl no matter what, but I will be sorely disappointed if she is going to stay this small.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 11:58:44 pm by Newly Newfed »
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: NEWFIE OWNERS!! HELP!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 12:00:27 am »
Were they specifically talking about Newfs??  I thought all dogs typically lost their baby teeth around the same time.  If that statement is true, then most dogs wouldn't go past their size at 5-7months!!  My GSD is losing/getting teeth now and she's 4months and only weighs 23lbs!!  I really hope that the trainer just mis-spoke, if not I think I'd be looking for a different trainer!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 12:41:56 am »
I didn't think that sounded right either.  But I worry, it's what I do best...  LOL!  I didn't see Sierra's siblings, so she could have been the runt for all I know, but I still can't imagine that she would only be as tall as a Labrador Retriever.  Especially when she's still so young.  That's why I decided to ask everyone here.  Like I said, the trainers have limited experience with Newfs...only the ones they train.  They don't have breeding experience with them.  Thank you all for putting my mind at ease and pointing out things that my worrisome self didn't think about in my panic.  LOL!

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 12:58:20 am »
Most puppies start losing baby teeth at or around 6 mos- the loss of the teeth does not mean that they are no longer growing. My vet says that usually what the puppy weighs at about 6 mos, you can double that, and that will be around the size when they are full grown. Bailey was the exception to this- she grew very fast and at 6 months weighed 60 pounds, she leveled off at about 80, which was fine. She is 1/2 Newf and 1/2 Golden Retriever and is the size of a really large Golden. Jake the Dane continued to grow until he was 2 and I am thinking that he is now full grown- so maybe the trainer just isnt familiar with the extra large dogs.

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 01:46:46 am »
My vet says that usually what the puppy weighs at about 6 mos, you can double that, and that will be around the size when they are full grown.

I hope that's the case because I guess-timate that she will be around 55 lbs at 6 months...

I feel so much better.  I'm glad I posted this on BPO.  You have to admit though...in the picture below she DOES look a bit stubby!  LOL!

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 01:55:48 am »
I highly doubt the applicability of what your trainer said to your Newf. I've never heard such a thing actually.
Rosie - Newfoundland

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 02:42:18 am »
Well now  you are just going to have to post more pics- she is just way too cute. Bailey is still stubby, she has that big barrel body of a Newf on the Golden Retriever legs.

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 02:47:53 am »
I did post more pics in a different thread...  The topic is that she graduated...

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline pink2378

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 05:03:49 am »
I know that my girl, Lucy, at 1 year is not "that" much taller some of the labs at the dog park  (maybe 2 or 3 inches) but she is way bigger than them in terms of bone structure and stuff like that.  She's about 100 pounds now.  So weight wise she's not too tiny.  And she looked pretty much like your girl when she was 5 months. 

Offline Cazzie

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Slave to Amba
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 06:26:31 am »
Storm's just got most of her "big teeth" and she's still growing daily me tinx LOL

never heard that one before, your vet sounds more on the ball!!

she sooo cute give her hugs for me!!
Proudly owned by Amba - Boston terrier
                 Merlin - Exotic Short hair cat
                 Harley - Ragdoll cat
RIP...Stormy & Balki - my Newfoundland Angels

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 09:50:39 am »
I wouldn't worry, she sounds alot like  how Kali was. She probably won't be bhuge but she isn't gonna be a Little Paw. Kali's parents were big also and she has topped out at around 105#s.

Offline Moore1125

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 08:17:15 pm »
Never heard that one! Rudder lost his baby teeth by 6 months...he STILL continues to grow and he is 14 months now he is weighing in at 160 pounds and he is about He stopped growing height wise at about 11 months old but still growing muscle etc....so that tooth idea is rediculous! Hope that helps:)

Offline philernest01

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 11:37:50 pm »
Hey there!  I believe you were given some false information about your newfie.  I have a pup that will be two next month and i have been monitoring his growth very carefully.  At 5 months, he was about 21 inches and 55 lbs.  He continued growing in height until about 16 months and is still gaining weight by the month.  At one year he was 28 in and 110 lbs. and is now 30 in and weighs 145.  I have several good friends and family who own newfies as well and they tell me to expect about another 15-20 lbs as his chest develops over the next 8-12 months.  I'm sure your newf is growing at a perfectly normal rate.  Hope this helped ease your mind.   
Philip, Shenandoah Valley, Va

Offline philernest01

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 11:51:57 pm »
Here is a picture of My Newf River in Jackson Hole at 15 months and 120 lbs.

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 11:53:16 pm »
Puppies loose their teeth at about 5 months old they still have plenty of growing to do. My IW Morgayne will be 5 months in a week, and she has lost all her canines and is getting in her big teeth. I have had about10 puppies in my life and they all lost their teeth between 4-6 months of age. Your girl has plenty of growing to do still.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.