Author Topic: The Poop Rules  (Read 3922 times)

Offline DoDadsandDanes

• Ankle Biter
  • every time a bell rings, an angels gets its wings
    • View Profile
    • MySpace.com/dodadsandchotskiestuff
The Poop Rules
« on: June 20, 2007, 12:19:07 am »
Ok everyone.. what are the poop rules in your house ?
(For your dogs...not the humans,that would be another post entirely)
Do they have go in one area of the yard? or are they free to go whenever and where ever the spirit moves them? hence the need for a daily poop patrol..
Now Im not asking what you prefer Id prefer they poop on the toilet since they're tall enough (well Mags is anyway) Im asking what is your acceotable practice? Just having a little debate with DH (who would follow them around with a shovel so they could go right on it if he could)
Lisa
Maggie 11 mo Dane
Faye 3 mo Dane
Disclaimer: If this post includes anything resembling advice, please note that it most likely has been borrowed from someone more knowledgeable than myself..

mama23+pyrs2

Re: The Poop Rules
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 01:55:49 am »
My dogs have a pattern. They usually will poop around the perimeter of the fence and about about 3 feet out from it. They did that for a couple months and then one day they started pooping through the rest of the yard..but only one one basic area. After that was cleaned up, they went back to the perimeters which we love since it's easy to find. I don't know what their latest habit is since I'm not the one scooping these days. It's a breed thing with them, why they mark all around the fence. I assume once they get that covered they decide to mark the rest too, who knows.

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 01:58:31 am »
When Rosie poops in our backyard, it's usually around the same general vicinity. She has about a 10'x10' spot and she sticks to it. She's got a system and we're guessing it works for her. Now when she doesn't poop in our yard (hence in other people's yards), it's equal opportunity.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 01:59:49 am »
Teddy is a "perimeter pooper".  
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 02:06:48 am by PennyK »
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline DoDadsandDanes

• Ankle Biter
  • every time a bell rings, an angels gets its wings
    • View Profile
    • MySpace.com/dodadsandchotskiestuff
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 02:13:33 am »
AAAHHH the things that we talk about... too too funny..
Lisa
Maggie 11 mo Dane
Faye 3 mo Dane
Disclaimer: If this post includes anything resembling advice, please note that it most likely has been borrowed from someone more knowledgeable than myself..

Offline Jas2Cats

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All my babies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 02:16:04 am »
Woody prefers the lawn (DH hates that~!), and Maple only will go on the gravel pathway or in the dirt behind our RV trailer.  I would prefer to have a single spot, but, am not home enough to monitor them.  We patrol about 1-2 times a week, or, when their prefered spot gets crowded, they'll find somewhere else to go.

My brothers dogs have a specific pea gravel area and he takes them out at specific times (they're show dogs and as such, need to be able to go on command/where he directs)

My friend is a stay at home mom, and has her dog trained to go only in the dog run.  Don't worry, he never actually stays in the dog run LOL
Alyce

Woody  (aka Big Dog) (12 1/2) Shorthaired Laberaimer (1/2 German Shorthair, 1/4 Lab, 1/4 Weimaraimer)
Maple (aka Princess Poo) (7 1/2) Boxer/ GS mix
Fuzzy (15 1/2)long haired tabby cat
Trouble & Double 3 1/2 year old African Leopard Tortoises.
Ed (17+) and Cris (13+) skin kids

Offline fivestartaylor

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Scooby & Kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 09:23:41 pm »
My dogs have set there own area's, for example...my lab well she likes to go in the back corner of the yard around the garage where no one can see her.My dane now he's an entirely diffrent story.. typically he will go right in front of our backgates making it near impossible to open the gates without cleaning up a mountain of poo first but then sometimes he will squat 5 or 6 times throughout the yard just because! Needless to say because I do not make them go in there dog run( I figure its more for hanging out in, not pooping in) I scoop poop 2 times a day to keep up on it. FUN!!
Mom To :

Scooby 18mo. Great Dane
          &
Lucy   7yr old Labrador Retriever

2 Kids & 1 Husband -(might as well be another kid)

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 12:15:20 am »
our dogs have been assigned a specific poo area seperate from the rest of the yard but with 3 dogs i end up going out on poo patroll daily, i cant stand flies, blech!
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 04:36:03 am »
HAHAHA! Darrin (boyfriend) and I was just talking about this last night! Too funny! Peyton changes hers every so often. But it's usually in one area for about 3 weeks. Even when we pick it all up, she changes it. But, we do have her trained that if she has to go and we are visiting our neighbors, she is to go in OUR yard ONLY and she will drag us and pull across the street to go into our yard and as soon as she is done, we are crossing the street to visit some more!
Your house isn't a home until you have made a bed for a dog.

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 04:39:31 am »
Well zeus is a where ever  its going to go its going to go pooper.  I  go with a shovel at least  once  a doy or every  two  days and take it  far from  the house,  He is  getting  better now though he is starting to poop  farther away  from the house  and starting to go closer towards where i throw the poo, BUT we do  get some in the kids play area excpecially the morrning poo.
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline marypr2

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 07:10:02 am »
Hi-
I am the newcomer here, and I am happy to say that for now, Kuma poops in the back forty of our lot,in English Ivy, so we dont' have to scoop.  YAY!

However, I was told by my brother, a dog breeder, that in order to get the dog to go where you want him to, you leash them 15 minutes after they eat, then take them to where you WANT them to poop.  Stay there till they poop, then praise them.  Sounded good to me, but I didn't have to try it.

The dog will poop on other people's yards when my husband is walking him, but won't when I walk him.  I have a pretty quick pace I guess, and I don't let him meander too much.  Since I don't have to scoop in my yard, I would prefer he not poop in someone else's yard for me to pick up.

I do laugh at my husband carrying a shovel when he walks the dog.  He doesn't apparently think a plastic bag provides sufficient protection for his hands. 
Take care,
Mary

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 09:04:46 am »
We tried to train Sierra to go in a specific out of the way corner of the yard, and when we take her to that spot she knows exactly why she's there and usually does her thing. In the front yard she usually goes in the vicinity of "her spot", but the back yard, any spot is fair game.

However, she FINALLY understands that pooping in the house is a no-no and to be honest, we've cleaned up so much in the house since we've had her, we're just relieved that she does it outside at all! 
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer