Author Topic: Seems people here are the only ones that understand  (Read 8079 times)

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
Seems people here are the only ones that understand
« on: July 05, 2007, 04:04:46 am »
As most of you have read, I lost my 11 year old Dane Tisha a few weeks ago. Well it is killing me. I miss her sooo much. I have gotten where I get through a day or 2 without crying, but I am still sad. Yesterday My male Dane Thorn had what I think was a very mild seizure. I freaked out, I cannot handle going through this again. He seems fine now, he is eating playing etc. He is a very healthy dog and I think he may have had low blood sugar.
Anyway I was crying last night about Tisha, and my husband tells me I need to go to counceling! Then I guess he said something to my parents, because my dad says today... are you OK? Do you think you need to see a doctor and get a physical? Your husband is worried about you still being so upset about your dog....WTF???? It has been 2 1/2 weeks since I lost her, doesn't it take time to grieve? I am able to function, Its not like I am sitting in a dark room hiding away. She was my best friend. After my dad says that I am crying again. I said it has only been 2 weeks, she was my best friend, am I not allowed to be sad? He says I guess you just handle things different than us... (I could feel the "it's just a dog tension). My mom was nice, she was crying a bit and said Tisha was a great dog, she had a great life, better than other dogs etc. Am I supposed to stuff my emotions? Hide it all away till I explode or have a breakdown???? I am so upset and sad now. I guess I have to hide and cry to myself so they don't try and commit me to an institution or something. Sorry for the rant, I am just so mad that I have to hide my feelings because no one wants to see me upset.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
Re: Seems people here are the only ones that understand
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 04:10:31 am »
((Hugs))  I know exactly how you feel.  when I  lost  my  Husky It  t ook  me along time to get over it and  no one really cared around  me. Sheldon  knew I was upset the day  we had to put her down I sat  outside next to her house and just sat there. It is hard to lose a dog  and in all seriousness i Think If  a person  who has never  got atttached to a dog  and then it passes they will never know the pain us ppl who  care so much  for are animals and  they will never know what its like  to lose a loved one  even though it  may  just be a dog in there eyes, its a family memeber in are's.
It will take time to pass, Just think Of the good days you had with your pup and  tahht she is in a great place now.  :-*
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 04:15:32 am »
Awwwww!!!

I can totally relate to what you're saying. Bo has been gone for 2 years and I STILL sometimes break down and cry like a fool. Mark's favorite kitty died like, 10 years ago, and he STILL sometimes breaks down over him. When they take a piece of your heart like that, you can't help but cry sometimes.

Screw 'em! They don't know what it feels like and they don't have to! Don't worry about what they think. Focus on yourself!

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 04:19:03 am »
My husband just called and I went off on him about talking to my parents. He said "I just want you to get over it" I said I'm not going to get over it, I will accept it , but all that comes in time, and i need to grieve now. He said "there is a difference between grieving and dwelling on it" WTH is 2 weeks dwelling on it??? I want to leave my house an not come back. I feel like I don't even know these people that call themselves my family. This is where Tisha came in...when everyone else was being stupid/mean/etc. she was always there. :(
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 04:20:13 am by zchic »
-Jodi
Mom to:
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup

1996-2007

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 04:23:30 am »
Awww Jodi, I'm so sorry.  I have been there and it took me months to stop crying every time I thought of Halley, so you are not alone!  They are our very best friends, with us through thick & thin with no judgement, just total love and devotion, so why wouldn't we mourn their loss so deeply?  Lean on us, we do understand.  It sounds like your mom understands pretty well too, so she is probably another good support system for you.  I've found that there are those people in my life that do understand and those that don't.  I don't know how some people can feel differently, but somehow some people just do and I guess IMHO that is their loss not to have known our buddy's love like we do.  Please just know that you are not alone and I don't see anything unusual to be mourning your best friend that you lost so recently.  ((hugs))
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 06:44:10 am »
Thanks for the kind words...they mean a lot
-Jodi
Mom to:
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup

1996-2007

Offline Jas2Cats

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All my babies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 07:45:15 am »
Take the time you need to grieve Jodi.  It's unfortunate that your DH doesn't understand the connection you had with your puppers~!  We'll all be here for you here  :)  It took me over 2 1/2 months to come to grips with losing my dog Jasper, and then, I really only did so because I got Woody.  I couldn't stand being without a dog any longer.
Alyce

Woody  (aka Big Dog) (12 1/2) Shorthaired Laberaimer (1/2 German Shorthair, 1/4 Lab, 1/4 Weimaraimer)
Maple (aka Princess Poo) (7 1/2) Boxer/ GS mix
Fuzzy (15 1/2)long haired tabby cat
Trouble & Double 3 1/2 year old African Leopard Tortoises.
Ed (17+) and Cris (13+) skin kids

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 08:37:13 am »
Jodi,

Know that we are here for you.  I'm so sorry that in addition to your loss you do not have support from those closest to you. 

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 08:38:51 am »
Jodi, there isnt a "set" time for you to greive and be done with it- I lost my beloved Tank last February- it was a bad week- I buried my dad on Tuesday and Tank of Friday.
I had read the following article that was printed in the newspaper the following month and it just made sense. I have posted this before but here it is again.
No, she was not just a dog.

The Death of Miles
I cannot and will not feel embarrassed at feeling bereft because of the death of my dog.

By Marc Gellman
Special to Newsweek
Updated: 5:33 p.m. ET March 15, 2006
March 15, 2006 - A letter to Dr. Alan Coren, chief veterinarian of West Hills Animal Hospital, Huntington, N.Y., who is my friend and who was the veterinarian for my dog Miles who just died..
Dear Alan,

I could not write to you until now to thank you properly and personally for your compassion and care for Miles through his life and up to his last moments, when Miles died on the blanket you had spread out for us in room No. 2. Miles's debilitating renal failure was a death sentence, and thankfully his suffering is now over. As Miles turned cold in my arms and entered a breathless eternal sleep, I was utterly unprepared for the flood of tears and grief I felt at his death. Now I can only begin to sort out my feelings and the first feeling I need to express is a deep thankfulness for your care and love.

You have cared for all the guide dogs we have raised up from puppiehood to faithful service. One of them, Topper, who flunked out of Guide Dog School because he was an inveterate cat chaser, now pads around the house looking for his pal. I still find myself instinctively moving my feet under my desk expecting to slip them under Miles's head. Topper is some consolation, but Miles was less like a dog and more like a person in a dog suit. As you know, Miles came to us from my son Max, whose move to New York City could not accommodate Miles's need to chase rabbits and FedEx delivery guys.

I bury people, and I know that grief at the death of a pet is not the same as grief at the death of a person, but it is still grief. It is still deep and raw and shattering to our admittedly irrational expectations that we will never be separated from those we love. I tell people I counsel through their grief to try to give thanks for the pain they feel, because the pain is a measure of their love. Buddhists teach that the first Noble Truth is that suffering (dukkah) arises from our attachments to the beings of the world. Unlike Buddhists, I do not seek the removal of attachment (tanhakaya). I am happy to be a mess of tears now because I was, and my family was, loved by Miles unconditionall y, and I savor this grief as the way the gift of unconditional love is painfully but properly repaid.

I also understand the bewilderment and impatience of those who have never loved an animal. Many of them openly or privately harbor condescending thoughts about pet lovers who often seem to them so willing to lavish love and attention on animals that they cannot seem to summon up for the souls for other human beings. My message to them is, “Shut up! Get a pet. Then you will understand.”
I attended a rally to stop the killing in Darfur yesterday, and I was moved and deeply saddened and angered by the inability of the so-called civilized world to stop yet another genocide in the Sudan (and also in the Congo). However, I admit that I could not cry for the dead of Darfur the way I cried for Miles. At first I was embarrassed and ashamed at the constrictions of my grief for human beings, and the lavishness of my grief for a dog. Then I slowly came to understand that the reason for the difference was the distance and the invisibility of Darfur compared with the immediate and devastating absence of Miles's head on my feet. I remember what Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote, “What seems to us more important, more painful, and more unendurable is really not what is more important, more painful and more unendurable, but merely that which is closer to home. Everything distant which for all its moans and muffled cries, its ruined lives and millions of victims, that does not threaten to come rolling up to our threshold today, we consider endurable and of tolerable dimensions.”

So I hope that the cries from Sudan and Congo are not just distant but present and compelling, but I cannot and will not feel embarrassed at feeling bereft because of the death of my dog. I know. I know that they are not on the same moral level, but I remain convinced that the ability to cry for one tutors the tears for the other.

Alan, I know that you help families move through the grief of the death of a pet as often as I help families move through the grief of the death of a person. I know they need my steady soul to make it through the valley of the shadow. I just wanted you to know how much I needed you and how much I love you and thank you.  You were a rabbi to a rabbi, and you were the steady soul of caring for a very good dog whom I loved more than I ever understood until this sad but healing moment.

God bless you,
Marc

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 11:47:58 am »
oh that completly sucks jodi. you just make sure and get it all out of your system on the board every day. we all care and want to listen and help you through this terrible time. i think you're doing wonderfully. if you start packing your emotions away the feelings will just get worse. every one knows that. and whoever says that you are acting in appropriate about the situation well poo on them. you have every right to mourne. no it hasnt been long at all. and .....um honestly be kinda wierd, (i think) if a person just popped right back out of it and was back to normal with in the first month or 2 of loosing a loved dog. the ending of a beautiful relationship is a very worthy thing to mourn for and dont feel like you are over reacting or anything of the sort. im sorry that you have no people around you 'not including bpo' that understand and support you, and  i know that none of us bpo'ers are with you in person, but were here for you all the same, so talk about her to us all you want and anything else that you need to get out of your system. and continue to let your heart heal like it should, and when your heart is healed there will be a little scar there that will be the memory of her. just like all precious things in life leave their mark upon us.
 hang in there girl, and dont be afraid to be mad about the stupidity of people either!
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 12:46:29 pm »
I'm just going to ditto what everyone else has said.  Especially the respect thing.  You need to tell your DH that you appreciate his concern, that you will be fine but not yet and no you don't know when, he doesn't have to understand but he needs to respect that you still need time and to just leave you be.  Like you said, it's not like you aren't functioning; if that happens, then worry!!  His hearts in the right place, his mouth just gets in the way! 

You'll be fine.  Just come on here and vent when you need too.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 09:31:02 pm »
I want to say to everyone that I really appreciate your kind words and support. It means a lot.

My husband said...I don't know how to help you, thats why I suggested a councelor... I said you can't help me. i am going to be sad, that is my way of dealing with it. You can't "fix" me. All I ask is that if I am sad, give me a hug. My daughter is 10, she totally gets it. When I was upset yesterday about everyone acting like I was crazy, she was ready to go kick some @ss. LOL She was mad that no one else was upset. I told her that everyone handles death differently, and that is OK. I can respect that some people don't seem to get upset at all...but they all need to respect that I am sad and I will heal when I am ready. I almost think that they all think I have a house full of animals, so why be sad. Well she was the first of the group, she was here before my kids. She was the Alpha of the group...One animal doesn't take the place of the others...they help with the pain, but they don't just fill in the empty space. I even told them all when Tisha was still here that I was going to be a mess when she died. She was always with me. She hated being out in the yard if I was inside...she even would climb the 6 foot privacy fence at one house we had to run around the house and scratch at the front door to come in. LOL She ripped a whole in the screendoor and jumped through it to get in to be with me another time. She was a mammas girl.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup

1996-2007

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 09:35:57 pm »
Jodi, it will take some time, keep grieving. She was very special to you and you were special to her. Sending malahugs and malkisses your way.

Offline DroolGirl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 06:22:44 am »
Jodi, I am sorry for your loss, and glad that you are surrounded by people who love you enough to want you to be "fine"-- even if they do not understand the depth of your mourning. It sounds like you are communicating your feelings well, which is the best gift you can give your family, and yourself. Your daughter sounds like an awesome young woman, whose spirit will surely buoy you through the sadness that lies ahead.

I can still recall every detail of the day I held my precious Samantha while the pink juice was injected into her vein; the smell of her fur- ocean and cedar; the soft fur over too-prominent bones; the silly sigh she let out when she tucked her head under my hair to hide, and seek comfort; and the last painful breath she ever took...

We honor our loved ones by remembering, and treasuring those menories and what they brought to our lives. Remember the love you shared, and the joy you shared, and never let anyone minimize your loss. And be good to yourself!!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 11:00:24 am »
I just wanted to tell you that I completely understand what you are going through.  I however am one of the people that buries their pain in jokes and laughs.  I keep the tears and sadness hidden from everyone around me.  I want you to know that it's more painful to bury it and not go through it than it is just to grieve openly.  I don't admit this weakness of mine but if it helps you not to feel like you have to hide from your feelings then it's worth it.  You have every right to grieve for Tisha anyway you want because she sounds like an awesome girl.  Big hugs to you and to your daughter for standing up for you.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience