Author Topic: Leave it command  (Read 2872 times)

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
Leave it command
« on: June 24, 2007, 01:17:22 am »
I  brought this up in another thread  about  Zeus  bugging  are cat. I have been trying to get  Zeus to leave it  and  bribe him with  other things  but  nothing   is seeming to work  when it  comes to the cat.. Any  opinions
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Leave it command
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 01:39:30 am »
Thanks  JEnn Im looking at that sit  now and am  going order  the dog training  clicker kit i think .. HEHEHEH  will tell hubby after I order it. I have allways heard  good things about the  clicker and have wanted to try it out.. THAnk you for the advice.
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 04:18:36 am »
I use the leave it command for my pups with the cats but my cats also have their claws and will use a little negative reinforcement if the dogs persist in being pests.  Another thing I like to use with leave it is the look command.  I teach my pups to focus on me with the look command.  So if they are focussed on something really intently I can have them look at me long enough to break their concentration and then use the leave it command.  The look works great when you see the stare down happening and you know the cat is fixing to break and run and the puppy is going to chase at that point. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 07:12:26 am »
Don't forget to teach "take it" too. When you are rewarding him for leaving something with a treat, or giving him a treat for anything really, make sure that you tell him "take it". Leave it is not as effective alone as it is with take it - if you teach take it well, then eventually he will think he's not supposed to have anything that he doesn't KNOW belongs to him unless you have told him to take it
RIP former BPO

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 08:16:49 am »
Thank you all for all the advice im going to try it out on him after  dinner. We are just  getting the hang of stay  lol   have him sit and stay for his  food so  he doesnt jump  up on  me and  waits  patiently for it of course i put it  down as soon as  he is  sitting  nicely.. Today  he started  sitting pretty it is to cute I will  have to get  shelodn to take a pic of me getting him to sit  pretty.  With the command "take it"  I  have been  saying  "Kay  get it"   Or "get it"  Is that ok Or should I  start  saying "Take it"

~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti