Author Topic: Do all dogs turn one and then get naughty? or is Lucy just special?  (Read 5298 times)

Offline pink2378

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Lucy turned one this week and we've discovered that she's been going upstairs and peeing in a room that we don't use all that often (well, her crate is in there but we don't spend a lot of time in that room) and she's started chewing on my shoes (which have always been safe before and of course she's picking my cutest and newest!!), and for the first time ever she started chewing on my furniture! 

We've recently been giving her a little more freedom and haven't been watching her as closely because she's been doing so well, but now we are bringing the baby gates back out because we just can't trust the little stinker.

Is this a phase she is going through?  Or will she never be able to be trusted with freedom in the house (and we don't have a big house, less than 1,000 sq ft so it's not like she's wander all along through some huge mansion!)

Thoughts?  Advice?

k2campbell

Re: Do all dogs turn one and then get naughty? or is Lucy just special?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 07:02:25 am »
Lucy you little stinker!!! ;)

I can't remember exactly at what point we started letting Kate have free roam of the entire house while we're not home...I'm guessing it was not too long after she turned 1. She wasn't bad, EXCEPT for the garbage. We had this huge garbage can in our kitchen that wasn't under the sink (just stood freely in the room) and she got into it a few times. Once we got a new garbage can (for under the sink) she's been fine  ;)

BUT - Kate also doesn't move much during the day. She basically sleeps until around 3PM, literally. She rarely gets off the couch, she's lazy!!! :D

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 07:09:45 am »
what a rebel ;D with max we got super super lucky in that area, ive never had an easier dog in my life. but i think that boog is going to be the exact oposite so im sure ill be where you are a year from now. so remember any good advice cuz im sure i'll be needing it. good luck with the little rebel!
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline pink2378

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 07:10:38 am »
*shudder*

I can't even IMAGINE leaving Lu home alone and not in her crate.  She's doing everything I described while we are HOME! We think she's on the floor chewing on her bone - nope - my favorite new pair of cute kitten heel flats!  We think she ran upstairs to get a toy from her crate, well, yes, but also to pee.  ARGH!

So I don't know what is going on with her.  I want to ground her to her room - no tv, no phone, no tail chasing!!

Offline DoDadsandDanes

• Ankle Biter
  • every time a bell rings, an angels gets its wings
    • View Profile
    • MySpace.com/dodadsandchotskiestuff
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 08:25:07 am »
Maybe it is the age..Maggie will be one on July 4th.. she would do dumb stuff for attention sometimes but since we got Faye shes been great (very well distracted).. THEN just the past few days shes back to stealing pillows, blankets, rolling up in the runner trying to chew it up..I mean right to my face..shes not even trying to sneak.. and you know she knows for heavens sake.. just makes you wonder what the heck they're thinking... ???
Lisa
Maggie 11 mo Dane
Faye 3 mo Dane
Disclaimer: If this post includes anything resembling advice, please note that it most likely has been borrowed from someone more knowledgeable than myself..

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 08:31:52 am »
Welcome to pre adolescence.  Grace did that at one...AND two.  :)

Saint Butterfly

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 09:26:23 am »
I Do have some advice that worked well for me, But as we all know all dogs are different.. You can try putting Lucy on a Leash in the House in whatever room you are in or where she can see you... Put the leash around a Chair or something that will not move... Give her a bone or something that can Occupy her, and keep her from being bored... Take her all over the house like that in different rooms... Teach her how to respect your things, being near you will keep her happy.. You will know when she is ready for complete freedom... I did that with my Dog Butterfly, and it worked very well... Now i am doing it with my new Puppy Honey Bee.

Tonight when i cooked dinner i had the puppy leashed to a chair in the kitchen, and gave her a Kong... This way i knew she was not making a mess and her space was small so she would not pee on the floor... It worked well... I also leash her near me while i am sitting watching television, or even on the Computer.... When i am able i let her Run free, But you can believe i have my eye on her at all times.. Don't worry your Pup is still young, and willing to learn.. Teach her what you expect..

Good Luck,
Shell
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 09:30:42 am by Saint Butterfly »

Offline pink2378

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 09:55:20 am »
Well, I'm feeling a bit better that she's just going through a phase.  It's nice to know there are other stinkers out there that got better.

It's just so frustrating because it was like "halleluiah! we can finally relax a little because she's potty trained and isn't teething any more".  Then she's like "SUCKERS!!"  LOL!

So now we are back to watching her like a hawk!  Every time she leaves the room we've been stealthy ninja's following her allover the place!  As soon as one of us sees her go, we are up and after her.  Of course, she's being a perfect angel!

*sigh* so we are back to phase 1 of training (and I HATE phase 1!)  We aren't umbilical leashing her to us but we are keeping her downstairs with us and baby gating off the stairs so she can't go upstairs where my shoes are and her newly initiated toilet room.

Well, now I have renewed hope that she will get better!  Thanks for the encouragement!

Saint Butterfly

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 10:51:08 am »
One more piece of advice...(If my smileys worked i would have put one there).  Be careful following your Pup into rooms, She will soon start to see it as a game, and the routine will get harder to break... She may enjoy the attention she gets For shocking you with torn shoes or pee on the floor...1 year old Pups are very Playful... They love to play Games, But they also Love to learn and Follow rules when you are willing to set them...It can be a lot of fun Training A dog, It does take time, Comittment,And patience, But it very much worth it.

You are not back into Phase one again, You have entered Phase Two. Pups go through Stages, and they still need to be consistantly trained thrugh each stage, so that they know what you expect of them. ( I would have put a smiley with a Wink here).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 08:59:00 pm by Saint Butterfly »

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 11:13:23 am »
*** GROAN ***

Is this what I have to look forward to in 7 months with Sierra???

She already chews everything she thinks she can get away with....  You mean to tell me it's gonna get worse??  OH NO!!  Bitter Apple didn't faze her at all either!
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Saint Butterfly

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 08:25:31 pm »
You know, The "umbilical" leash thing is not so bad.. You do not do it all day long, Just during certain times of the day, Your dog obviously is not ready for complete freedom yet. You can  keep her in a gated area when you are not able to keep an eye on her, And the leash in the house is just a way to train her when you have the time to take her with you when you are in different rooms of the house... You could always give her a Bully stick while she is on it to keep her busy.. A lot of people on here get those for their dogs, and apparently Dogs love them.. Anything that will keep her mind off of your Shoes, and other stuff. Praise her while she is chewing on it, and give her the Firm "No" when she chews on the stuff you want her to stay away from. Replace the shoe she is chewing on, and replace it with what she is allowed to chew on, and then praise her like crazy.

The leash is only so you can have Sierra with you when you are cooking dinner, or just sitting down hanging out.. Praise her for her behavior when she is laying beside you being a good girl, and she will soon learn what makes you happy,But keeping her in one area of the house because she is chewing everything up is not going to teach her how not to do it... You will need to show her.

I wish Teenage girls could train as easily as Teenage Pups do.
(Big Smile)

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2007, 10:01:24 pm »
aaaa   so  this is what ill have to look  forawrd to  after i  have agot him  broke from  chewing  are  shoes.. NOw im scared lol
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti