Author Topic: Camping with a Big Paw  (Read 3987 times)

Offline pink2378

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Camping with a Big Paw
« on: June 22, 2007, 04:51:19 am »
My husband and I are going camping in a couple weeks and we are planning on taking Lucy (aka Stinker) with us.  It will be the first time we've gone camping in 4 years and the first time I've ever camped with a dog.

Any tips?

We were planning on bringing her crate with us and setting it up next to our tent for her to sleep in.  Is that ok?  I don't want her sleeping in the tent with us because I'm a super light sleeper and well...my hubs snores so I don't need one more thing in my tent to keep me up!  We thought about tying her up outside while we slept but I didn't like that option much either.  What do you all do with your dogs at night when you camp?

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: Camping with a Big Paw
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 05:03:59 am »
we all sleep in the tent. get a big tent!...with multiple rooms! sorry that prabibly isnt much help. if you are camping in an area that your vehicle has access too, you could let her sleep in the vehicle with the windows cracked (weather permitting) that's the only idea that i can think of.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline happiday

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All I ever do is SMILE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 05:15:02 am »
(Disclaimer:  The following story in no way infers or implies that this is what camping with dogs will be like for you!)  
We took Cheyanne, our husky, camping with us to Wyoming in '92.  (Makes me sound old, huh?!)  At that time, we didn't know about crate training, and hubby was in love with the idea of taking his husky to the wilds of Wyoming... (cue Western theme music here!)  She stayed tied on a lead during the day, and at night she slept in the tent with us: me, Mike and 3 kids: 1yo, 3yo & 7yo (who still wet the bed).  What an ADVENTURE!  Well, one day she got hold of a bad piece of meat that a previous camper had tossed into the bushes, and that night hubby was up every hour, climbing over the rest of us to take her out of the tent to puke.  (repeat: WHAT an adventure!)  I wasn't so enamored of taking dogs camping after that trip, so we found a wonderful dog sitter to come to our home for the next few vacations.  Then we took the dogs to a Doggie Spa Resort.  They had better accomodations than we did that time!
I think the crate is a GREAT idea!  Tying her up might not be as safe for her, esp. at night when wild critters may be about.  Most campgrounds have rules that dogs must be leashed at all times.  I hope you have a wonderful time!
Salli, Annie's mama!

Offline pink2378

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 05:17:26 am »
you could let her sleep in the vehicle with the windows cracked (weather permitting) that's the only idea that i can think of

hmmm....you obviously haven't read my troubles with my naughty girl.  She turned one and then turned into a royal pain in the patootie.  So I definitely don't trust her to sleep in my car, I'd toss and turn all night wondering what damage she was doing! LOL!

Maybe I should get her a "pup tent"  HA HA!

OH, happiday,  what a horrible experience for everyone involved!  After hearing that I will take extra precautions to keep her away from wierdo food in the bushes!  yucka. 

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 05:29:50 am »
ok so the car idea is definatly a nix!! but the pup tent sounds good! or if you have 2 tents you could put her kennel inside the 2nd
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

Offline happiday

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 05:35:16 am »
ROFLMBO!!!! 
What is the deal that dogs have to save the 'barfs' for camping?!?!?!  Is it a secret rule that all dogs know but their owners are not privvy to?
What if Lucy stayed in her crate in the screen porch part of your tent?  Wouldn't that be like she had her own room, but not too far from you?
One more question:  what makes you think you'll get good sleep while camping?  How are you gonna have any good stories to tell us when you get home?   ;)
Salli, Annie's mama!

Offline pink2378

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 05:58:26 am »
Hmmm...I guess I had worried too much about the elements since she loves being outside with the exception being in the full on sun or when it rains and since I'd never ever leave her in her crate in the sun and we'd bring a tarp to throw over her crate if it rained I figured the elements wouldn't be a big deal.  I think I was more worried about an animal of some sort getting her..but it's not like she'd have much more protection in the tent with us.  Heck she'd probably have more since she'd actually have metal separately her from it and we'd just have some flimsy fabric!

One more question:  what makes you think you'll get good sleep while camping?  How are you gonna have any good stories to tell us when you get home? 
  Good question!!  I'm not! LOL But anything I can do to up my chances I will take.

I'll make sure to take lots of pictures but I'm hoping (fingers crossed) not to have TOO many stories to share (especially the variety that only becomes funny years later, you know...ones involving vomit or other bodily functions).

Offline happiday

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 06:02:37 am »
 ;D  Here's hopin' for good sleep and NO vomit stories! 
Are you going to the wilderness?
Salli, Annie's mama!

Offline pink2378

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 06:16:40 am »
I don't know where exactly we are going.  Somewhere along the Snake River on the Idaho/Washington border, I think.  My husband is planning it and when he's talked about the location I've kind tuned him out (I know! I'm such a bad wife!!) He showed me pictures from the internet and it looks really pretty, though.

I think it will be kind of wilderness-ish but not like backpacking or anything.  Somewhere in between full service with showers & toilets  and in the middle of nowhere with no running water and squatting in the bushes.

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 06:51:25 am »
here's to no misquitoes and good weather!
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 07:48:43 am »

hmmm....you obviously haven't read my troubles with my naughty girl.  She turned one and then turned into a royal pain in the patootie.   

Look at that face.  How could she be a pain in the rear???  Then again...Sierra's cuteness is the only thing that saves her sometimes...  LOL!

Here's hoping you have a FUN camping trip with no barfing and no puppy destroying things!
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

lorim2

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 10:26:50 am »
Good Luck!  Camping is my thing and since I am a teacher, I usually camp all summer...but I do have a camper and that makes it easier.  I take my two chihuahuas and Laney and Marley..so even though its 33 feet with 2 bp's and two little guys, two teenagers and hubby it gets rather small.  I do carry a portable fence for the chi's and boy is that a lifesaver.  I would  take her crate and put it in the tent with me.  I dont think I would leave her outside crated...but then again I watch way to many scarey movies...hahah  Good Luck!!

Icerotti

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 10:33:05 am »
I hope you have an adventerous, fun filled camping trip. I could just see our crew camping Farley and Rosie would somehow destroy the tent prob on the first night. Puck would fill the tent with a nouxious odour...lol
I have to  go with the others and say have her in the tent. It should provide us with a laugh or two..... ;)
Have fun!!!!!!