Author Topic: Bully sticks  (Read 12838 times)

Lyn

Re: Bully sticks
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2007, 12:11:49 am »
I too love to torment people with bully sticks. LOL Expecially my uppity relatives. Muhahahahaah! :D

Abby has a horrible habit of bringing people her bully stick so they can hold it for her while she chews it. hehe Then you hear.. "Pheew this thing stinks!! What is it?!" Followed by them chucking in across the floor and Abby chasing it thinking they are playing fetch with her. So of  course she just has to bring it back so they can throw it again. LMFAO!

I don't buy them too often for Bubba or Lola since they eat it them in 2 seconds flat.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2007, 01:31:00 am »
Ugh, I can't bring myself to feed a trachea..never thought I'd do a bully stick either but the trachea is just going a bit too far to me, ugh..gross! Anyway, I think I'll stick to bones now that the bully sticks are gone..they didn't last long, but long enough for me lol.

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2007, 03:45:36 am »
where are you all finding this stuff at?
ive never even heard of this stuff before.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2007, 03:56:59 am »
Hmmmm aren't there parts of an animal you wouldn't want your dogs eating? I know for me there are..like what about all the animal by products in nasty food.. I guess I'd have to know the nutritional value in certain parts to feel good about giving them. It just seems really odd to me to give my dog strange parts of animals.. I realize I could just be weird for thinking this way, but I still do. :P I was vegetarian and vegan for many years and eventhough I'm not anymore, I hardly ever eat meat and if I do it can't resemble meat in any way...I can't even watch people eat ribs or gross stuff like that...so I've never been the same and I know that affects some of my views and what I can't get past.

But I was just wondering. I tried those bully sticks just to give them a variety from the same bones they always get but I still think it's super weird for a dog to be chewing on a ya know what, lol.. I don't know, I guess I just can't get into this stuff as much as some people. I try! But it doesn't come easy for me. They'll have to be sheltered and just get bones I guess. Life is tough. ;)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2007, 04:07:29 am »
I honestly have no problem letting my dogs eat weird parts of animals. Heck humans eat sheeps heads and eyeballs and cow tongue and testicles. I have no problems with my dogs doing it at all. I can not see how a pigs heart or bulls penis can be unhealthy. JMO

Yeah but I'm not one of those humans lol. I guess because I'm not and I do think that is completely abnormal (for humans to eat that stuff) I have a problem with my dogs doing it (yeah, I know they're dogs). I don't know that it's unhealthy or healthy, I was just wondering. I know they like it, but then again yesterday Yukon was chowing down on my toddlers dirty diaper he pulled outa the trash..so I'm not counting his judgment lol.

Was just curious!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2007, 04:09:37 am »
I think it's awesome that they are using the entire carcass.  The reality is that the organs are the highest fat and protein areas of the body.  All predators will take the internals including the brain then go for the muscle meat if it's a large animal.  I've never tried the trachea but I don't think I've seen them any place yet to get them.  I'm going to have to find those and try them out with my pups.  I'm always looking for unique things to let them chew on or have as a treat.  Has anyone seen any rabbit treats or pheasant treats?  
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2007, 04:17:30 am »
Yeah, I don't know..I'm not easy to convince. ;) I see all your points though! and I completely understand the differences but it still doesn't stop me from thinking it's weird. Maybe if my dogs had to go catch and kill their meals I'd feel differently. ::)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2007, 04:25:56 am »
Yeah, well that would be different. Handling raw meat makes me gag, it's uncontrollable . I guess if you did it enough you'd eventually get used to it. I have an incredibly weak stomach when it comes to blood where it shouldn't be or things that should be on the inside and are not. I've been this way since I was just a kid so I guess I'm not changing lol. Needless to say I've neve watched horror movies. ;)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2007, 04:39:03 am »
Well, I have a stomach of steel. lol

My degree is in Forensics.  I've interned with medical examiners to work crime scenes and assist with autopsies.  I've studied maggots and beetles on pig carcasses.  I used to eat lunch in the hall outside of the cadaver lab between classes.  So, organs, trachea and the like really don't phase me much. ;)

OMG, you should have been a Dr. or something, surgeon? Haha. My mother in law is the same way, she teaches CPR and first aid and all sorts of things and loves all those forensic shows etc..like the grosser the better, meanwhile I'm covering my eyes at the music getting scary in fear of something gross might happen, can't deal with that stuff, noooooooooope. I can deal with my own blood and stuff and my kids, but then a line is drawn there lol. Oh and I can handle all the stuff that happens when people have babies and watch that just fine, none of that phases me, but that's because it's normal. lol :P
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 04:40:19 am by mama2many »

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2007, 04:43:51 am »
Well, I have a stomach of steel. lol

My degree is in Forensics.  I've interned with medical examiners to work crime scenes and assist with autopsies.  I've studied maggots and beetles on pig carcasses.  I used to eat lunch in the hall outside of the cadaver lab between classes.  So, organs, trachea and the like really don't phase me much. ;)

Ah Jenn isn't that what I was suppose to do at the one camp? :P I think it's silly that people are grossed out by Bully sticks. I've never been one to gross out by major things, you can send me running with chewed gum though, but I've also cut off a frozen salmon head(mind you I'm terrified of fish) and watched Maggie eat it all. I can't deny something she loves because I think it's gross, that's like almost cruelty!
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2007, 04:49:46 am »
I'm a zookeeper so seeing the insides of animals and feeding out weird stuff is normal for me.  I've also helped with necropsies of the animals that I have raised and taken care of at work.  So really feeding out a organ treat or body part is nothing. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2007, 04:54:24 am »
I'll send my guys off to you guys for treats then, hehe. ;D

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2007, 05:02:44 am »
Send em on up, I'm ready! :P
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2007, 06:45:26 am »
There are local stores here (sort of dog boutiques). I don't get them at big name stores. You can totally get a lot of the stuff online at PetFoodDirect. com I order a good amount of stuff, I get a lot of Merrick brand bones and chews!

hmm i'll have to check that out. i almost woke up the kids laughing at you guys describing what the dogs are chewing on. swelling up in the pool, you know that is bound to give every one an instant visual of something realy bad. :P
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline Bernertomboi

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2007, 05:39:03 pm »
So after reading the reviews you guys gave of bully sticks I thought that they were something i had to try.  It took me a day to get over what it was, now it is just another toy to be found in the most random spots.  You were all right though he loves it.  We got him the 12" one and he carries it around the house and will even lay on the couch and munch it.   ;D ;D