Author Topic: Cat and dog not friends or are they  (Read 5290 times)

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
Cat and dog not friends or are they
« on: June 23, 2007, 11:45:28 pm »
ok  this just seems wierd to me.
Zeus is now around 11-12 weeks ol' and  well are cat is  1 year. Well at first  the cat  hated  Zeus.  Zeus  woudl go near and the cat owuld get mad sence  zeus woudl jusp on him and the cat woudl stick up for himself. Well  recently they  have been getting along great. THey  sleep 2gether  eat  2gether  everything  that is untill we are in  view.  When we are in  view its like  zeus has to go show off and beat  up his friend. HE will seriously  jump on the cats  back and grab him by the head and the cat now  sits/lays there and takes it.  We have  gave him trouble for this and time outs  sence the cat  howels in  pain and cryies.  NOw why isnt the cat  fighting back no more? I know Zeus is alot  bigger than  he was in the begging but  he*l I dont wanthim to think he can  sit ther and attack  the cat im  scared that one day  he will actually  kill it by  play  with it to death.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 12:35:21 am by Jacksmom »
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Cat and dog not friends or are they
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 01:12:51 am »
Jenn,  Thank  I have been  working  with the  leave it  command  but havent  had  much  luck  I guess ill start another thread lol and ask  for advice or is there any threads in here  to help  train the leave it  command. Zeus  was  doing  very  g ood  coming when  called sitting when told  we just started  sitting pretty  lol  Like abeg   but  it seems like all of a sudden  he thinks  he shouldnt have to do  all this any more argg.. He is one bull headed male lmao  But Im keeping on top of him .   
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline Ice Blue

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 01:15:03 am »
I have that problem with Remy and my sister's cat, George. Mind you George incises Remy to no end, which was fine when they were the same size, but now Remy is so much bigger and stronger he doesn't realize he hurts George. We leash Remy before any kind of situation starts, and practice the "leave it" command as Jenn suggested. We know that Remy is going to chase the cat, so we try to stop the behaviour before it even starts, which is working really well. We can also control contact between them, to show Remy he has to be/play nice to/with the cat. He's really getting the hang of it, when George suddenly appears and we don't have Remy on the leash he's resists the urge to charge, and it's only been two days. I hope that helps! Good luck!
Caitlin

Remy - German Shepherd (7 mths)
Copper - Shetland Sheepdog (14 yrs)
Birch - Lizard (Mali Uromastyx)

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 01:22:38 am »
Ice Blue.. I will have to try that hopefully it will work. Are husky was terirble with  cats allways  played with them till the death, untill she was  two then  she  loved the cats and  never hurt them 
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 04:17:36 am »
My dogs, Sadie and Riley, chase one of my cats-Bevo (pronounced Bee-vo, named after UT's mascot because he's the darkest orange cat my ex-bf and I had ever seen). Thomas and Turbo, the other two cats, are the most dominant animals in my house, with Thomas being alpha, then comes Riley, Sadie, and poor Bevo. (For those of you that remember Thomas' cancer story, he's still hanging on and doing just fine. We've been very lucky. :))

Thomas pretty much gets his way all the time. Here's a picture of him eating dog food with Sadie (out of Riley's giant bowl-Riley had claimed Sadie's bowl). He popped her shortly after the picture was taken... I guess for taking up too much space, so I had to take a handful of food out for him and move the bowl for Sadie. LOL Obviously, he has me trained, too. He often prefers to sleep in my bedroom on the bed with the dogs while I'm away, while the other two cats sleep on the couch or dining room chairs. He also likes to claim Riley's giant dog bed at night, and he likes to walk as slowly as he can down the hall when the dogs are behind him, b/c he knows they won't pass him. He will saunter down the hall, fluffing his tail, stopping to stretch, just so that they can't move any faster. He's a character.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 04:38:59 am by macybean »

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 04:24:51 am »
I forgot to mention that you can also teach a gentle command for Zeus when he's playing with the cat.  You are wanting the play to decrease in intensity.  My Rott/Shepherd boy was great with the gentle command for playing with small dogs and the cats. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience