Author Topic: hi guys!  (Read 10536 times)

Offline miss dobby

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
hi guys!
« on: June 26, 2007, 02:36:38 am »
I'm back, I'm the newbiefoundlan d that posted the other day but had a busy day and could not stay online. well busy day over now if my I.W pup will let me maybe now I can chat. thanks to all the welcomes from the people who have been on the boards for a while, I'm not quite sure how to post a picture of my wolfhound puppy. I'm somewhat computer illiterate LoL but I can describe him for you. he is 9 weeks old and already the height of my beagle cockerspaniel mix. he is the color of a light sandy beach with whisps of long black hairs so when you view him from a distance he looks as if he is outlined in black. I guess you would call him a light wheaten. he's acting aggressively towards the other two dogs I have ( they scold him but it does no good)
he likes to sleep in the bathroom behind the toilet so needless to say he no longer has that sweet puppy smell we all know and love. right now he is in his crate hiccuping and crying I am trying to ignore him untill he calms down but I can't anymore, excuse me while I let him outside.  :-[

Offline miss dobby

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: hi guys!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 03:00:58 am »
o.k I'm back again I can't believe how hot it is outside, I also can't believe I'm replying to my own post ::) anyway where is everybody? I think I will go over to the i.w board and check in over there. see ya in the wolfhound park!  :D

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 03:10:50 am »
My wolfhound pup will be 5 months old on the 28th. She is a tan/grey brindle for now, but should be shades of grey when grown. She is very submissive to the other animals here, and even plays with the cats. I post my photos from photobucket, but I think you can attach them to your post directly from here.
Her mane is Morgayne:
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline miss dobby

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 03:42:00 am »
oh! she is so cute :D everywhere I take my puppy people react as if it were an honer to see an Irish wolfhound,I guess its rare to see them, even rarer to see a scottish deerhound. I tried to post this in the wolfhound board but it would not let me make a new post? but I was wondering if irish wolfies are supposed to be skinny? like whippet or greyhound skinny? I don't like skinny dogs and I was told that the european I.W's have a more bulky build like a rottwieler has while american breed I.W are very slim. and they don't seem so tall to me? they are supposed to be the tallest of all dog breeds right? but they seem no taller than the great danes? ???

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 03:53:35 am »
yes they are to be the tallest of all breeds, but they are very closly followed by a couple, so much that the taller danes are larger than the smaller iw's. but for average heigth the iw is the tallest. Gibson(great dane) is the tallest dog in the world right now. 42 1/2' @ shoulders i think. he's on youtube. you know ive never seen an irish wolfhound in person before. but ive never ever heard anything negeative about the breed either. zchic your Morgayne is a beauty.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 03:55:10 am »
The adult dogs at the place I got Morgayne were pretty large, especially the males. They are a sighthound, and built for speed like other sight hounds, so they do have a sleeker build (like a greyhound, afgan etc.). I think the shaggy fur gives the look of a fuller body. They are a huge dog, so they have a somewhat bigger frame, but never bulky like a Rottie etc.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup

1996-2007

Offline miss dobby

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 04:05:02 am »
wow thanks for telling me that I have no doubt that the breeder is a reputable one. and wolfhounds are my favorite.
and yes I saw that big harlequinn dane on oprah sometime ago. does neutering make dogs more bulky? when we neutered our other male dogs (through the years and various breeds) we noticed they would get a bulkier build even the females. after spaying our coonhound female she appeared to be getting fat. we feed her diet food but she never took off the extra weight. that when I first notice the change in weight or body shape after neutering and spaying. has anyone else experienced this??

Offline miss dobby

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 04:14:16 am »
still the i.w's on the dog shows seem much bulkier and huge! I hope my puppy will be tall his dad was only 35 at the shoulder is it possible he may surpass his dad? his mom is a european bred I.w. but its a erie feeling to pet this pup's dad and feel its vertebrae underneath it's skin no muscle, he was 5 years old. oh and zic how old is your dane in the picture??? I was told they get grey in the face as they age. my next dog will be a harlequinn dane :)

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 05:05:13 am »
I have heard that spay/neuter too young stunts the growth somewhat.LOL Who knows...
You shouldn't be able to feel vertebrae on a dog, so perhaps he was underweight. They are a sleek dog but should still have plenty of muscle/meat covering their bones.
In that picture, Morgayne was just over 4 months. I just took it like a week ago.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup

1996-2007

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 10:54:58 am »
zchic how old was your lovie in your avatar? was that taken recently?

max is starting to get a touch of white around his mouth already and he's 16 months.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 11:17:46 am »
The whole neutering debate is quite confusing.  If I remember right, it is said that if you spay or neuter too young they will grow too tall for the breed standard.  This is for all breeds, not IWs in particular.

My personal opinion on the weight gain after spay/neuter is that they have lost a certain 'drive' which helps regulate the weight.  Most dogs will become more calm after spay/neuter, which is helpful with training and behavior.  They don't have all those hormones dictating what they do.  But it also can cause them to be a bit more sedate.

We asked are vet  about the bulking and he said the same thing  Sence  we are  getting  zeus  done on the  6th of july my hubby was  wondering about it.  He  said (the vet) that  sence the male hormone wont  get a big  chance to show up in the  dog that  he wont  bulk  up as mush without the testosterone (sp?)  But  He will get taller.  HE is  allready  bulking  but he is a rotti  not a wolf hound.

BY the way  my  uncle once  had a wolfhound he was a wonderfull dog  iwth a giant  heart  the only  problem they  had  with there s is that he thought  he was a tea cup poodle lol   
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 08:04:32 pm »
zchic how old was your lovie in your avatar? was that taken recently?

max is starting to get a touch of white around his mouth already and he's 16 months.
I think I took that pic about a yer ago. She would have been 10 then. Thorn has grey lips...and some grey on his face now and he is 7 1/2. Your Max may just naturally have some white hairs, I can't imagine he is getting grey. LOL Thorn has a few strange spots of white and a bit lighter tan that pop up after he sheds in the spring.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup

1996-2007

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 09:55:13 am »
I just wanted to welcome you to the board and congrats on your new pup.  I don't have an IW so I can't help with any specific breed questions.  I can say that I have two spayed females that haven't bulked out since their spay surgeries and one neutered male.  He's in my avatar pic and he still has the puppy face.  Since he was neutered so young I've been told that he will always have the puppy face because he has no testosterone to cause the changes to the bulkier adult features.  Not sure if that helps you out or not.

Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience