Author Topic: question for the mommys ( current and expecting)  (Read 6968 times)

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: question for the mommys ( current and expecting)
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 11:04:47 pm »
I have done both. My first was BF for 18m. With my second daughter my milk didn't come in so she was a formula baby. Bo is my last and we are still breast feeding at almost 7 months. He loves his milk over formula. He gets a bottle about once a month when I need a break and DH is left to watch the kids. All three are healthy and normal. I nurse in public and DH is very supportive. I also make my own baby food. We just started this and all is well. I can't say I prefer one over the other as both have benefits. Oh and about EBF being birth control for 6m... hehe I can tell you I know a few women who are prego now and they thought the same thing. lol
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

k2campbell

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2007, 12:18:33 am »
I am completely set on breastfeeding, I'm going to try my darndest and work very hard at it. That's my plan  ;)

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 12:54:57 am »
Well , the LLL says that if you nurse every 4 hours , especially during the night , it's 99.8% effective I believe . So just as good as any other form I guess . LOL But my sister in law has become pregnant 3 times on hormonal birth controls so they all have a glitch I guess . It's always worked for me which is kind of a bummer because I would love to be pregnant again !
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

angelsmama

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2007, 02:23:59 am »
I am completely set on breastfeeding, I'm going to try my darndest and work very hard at it. That's my plan  ;)

yay ;D if you make past the first 2 weeks you have it beat  :P just gotta learn hw to get em there just right so they dont have a bad latch or anything (cheeks sucking in , clicking sounds) sure im not a pro at it only have done it 2 months but still.. i know my stuff :D

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2007, 05:01:12 am »
Make sure you insist on nursing ASAP after giving birth . Don't let the nurses sneek the baby bottles either . I've had them try to do that even when I've told them not to .
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2007, 05:26:34 am »
good for you!
i'd like to tell you what happened with my first so nothing of the sort will happen to you.
when i had my c-cection. the nurses took the baby and did all the normal tests and measuring. but before they brought her back to me they poped a bottle into her mouth! she never did latch on to my breast after that. i tried so hard, for three days in the recovery room i worked with her and the lactation consultant. and finaly i had to bottle feed her because she just couldnt do it. so make sure that all nurses and doctors know you are breast feeding ONLY. and if they have to seperate mom from baby, just send hubby with baby so that he can be there to look over. i know it prabably sounds silly. but i had my heart set on breast feeding. but seeing her struggle so much and still fail broke my heart. so dont let those nurses decide things for you!
so i am a bottle feeder exclusivly.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

k2campbell

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2007, 06:49:45 am »
yay ;D if you make past the first 2 weeks you have it beat  :P just gotta learn hw to get em there just right so they dont have a bad latch or anything (cheeks sucking in , clicking sounds) sure im not a pro at it only have done it 2 months but still.. i know my stuff :D

Make sure you insist on nursing ASAP after giving birth . Don't let the nurses sneek the baby bottles either . I've had them try to do that even when I've told them not to .

good for you!
i'd like to tell you what happened with my first so nothing of the sort will happen to you.
when i had my c-cection. the nurses took the baby and did all the normal tests and measuring. but before they brought her back to me they poped a bottle into her mouth! she never did latch on to my breast after that. i tried so hard, for three days in the recovery room i worked with her and the lactation consultant. and finaly i had to bottle feed her because she just couldnt do it. so make sure that all nurses and doctors know you are breast feeding ONLY. and if they have to seperate mom from baby, just send hubby with baby so that he can be there to look over. i know it prabably sounds silly. but i had my heart set on breast feeding. but seeing her struggle so much and still fail broke my heart. so dont let those nurses decide things for you!
so i am a bottle feeder exclusivly.

Thanks ladies. I was actually warned about this by a friend of mine who had the same scenrio work out as you did Christina, and I'm sorry to hear that happened to you and your little one! >:(

I actually have a piece of paper I'm bringing into the hospital with me, so I don't forget anything (as I'm sure at some point I'll be a little out of it) :D ;) It says what I do/don't want... I've instructed Eric that should a c-section be the end result (and I be a bit out of my mind) that I would really appreciate if the nurses could bring baby to me after they're done with their testing and stuff to try and feed, within the hour. I truly hope (natural birth or c-section) that this happens, cause I really, really want it to work! :)

Also, Eric's Mom is a nurse in the NICU. I asked her the protocol at the specific hospital I'm delivering at, and she said if "veries" depending on how busy they are. I guess sometimes the nurses just don't have the time to hang around with Mom and baby after a birth. Ugh - this makes me a bit nervous. BUT - she did say if ever they have a mother that is adament on breastfeeding (but can't at the time for whatever reason) that they try to feed the baby formula using a Dixie cup, so they don't get used to bottles...

Thanks ladies - I will definitely speak up! I really want to breastfeed, that's certain! ;)

angelsmama

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2007, 10:26:51 am »
just state you want the baby in your room not the nursery. if you dont have a c-section , then nurse soon as they are finished chevking her , weighing , measuring etc . within just a few mins she was nursing after i had her :)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2007, 12:25:57 am »
I just saw this and being a fellow BF'ing nazi I had to reply too. ;D I've breastfed my 3 as well. My first was for 8 mos (she was taken from me by her dad, LONG story), I nursed my 2nd for 16 months until in my 5th month of pregnancy with my 3rd baby, the milk finally dried up. :( And I'm still nursing my 14 month old during this pregnancy too. I do it because I believe it's their right, my obligation, I LOVE it!!! and wouldn't have it any other way. I was 20 when I had my first baby and never even considered formula. Like Amy, I've been through Thrush, Mastitis, the cracked bleeding HORRID pain thing, but I too stuck it out. Sure it can be tough at times, and every baby will nurse differently, better- worse, but I don't believe in 'can't' when it comes to that so formula just was never a consideration. My kids have been as healthy as horses. I believe in it 200%!!

BUT I have friends that tried it and weaned very early on etc..for various reasons, and I never judge them for their decision. It's just not my place.