Author Topic: HE IS STILL A PUPPY!!! HE LOVES PEOPLE!!! I find myself saying....  (Read 12201 times)

Offline SirdanceAlot

• Ankle Biter
  • Im to sexy for this floor.
    • View Profile
Hello everybody.  Spazz is coming up on 6 mo on the 6 of July.  I will definitly post some more pictures here soon. 

My lil baby is growing up so fast.  When I look at Spazz I still see a little innocent puppy.  He really doesnt look big to me at all.  Maybe because he is mine, and I LOVE HEEEE.  :P  Im in Germany, and most restaurants allow dogs.  It is very comman to see a dog laying next to his owners chair in a nice restaurant. 

Spazz is still in his puppy-I love people-phase.  So he wants to run and see and talk and get touched by all Everybody and everything that moves.  When spazz was small everybody wanted to touch him and see the little puppy.  Now he has put on a couple of pounds and a few inches and people are actually afraid of my Little Puppy.

Where I see a little harmless puppy people see a big scary dog.  Am I the only one?  Is my perception all messed up, or does this just come with being owned by a Big Paw.  ;-)

Also Spazz is almost 6 months, should i be able to have his full attention when there are distractions like people and or dogs around or is it still to early. 

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: HE IS STILL A PUPPY!!! HE LOVES PEOPLE!!! I find myself saying....
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 02:10:43 pm »
I really envy you the ability to take your pupper into a restaurant, we can't do that here.   :(  I know what you mean about people's reactions as they get bigger but are still just big puppies.  It was a different situation, but when we first adopted Sammy our Pyr from rescue we wanted to gradually socialize him but people shied away b/c he was shaved down and extremely thin, so people weren't inclined to approach us.  We put a snazzy bandana & matching Flexi leash on him and we noticed that more people asked to pet him.  Since Spazz is a baby and has those cute puppy eyes, maybe something like that would help break the ice for people, too.  I'd love him up in a second if I could!   ;D  :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 07:26:59 pm »
Sounds like Spazz is behaving just like a 6 month old puppy should! There are probably some good techniques you could use to teach him to sit by you and be less distracted, though. As far as people, though, they will always run screaming from your sweet puppy because they are clueless dorks. I may have posted this anecdote on here already, but here ya go: I recently was visited by a friend that I had'nt seen in years. She came to my house, and was greeted by Tani (aussie/boxer in my avatar) who came flying down the stairs to say hello. Tani doesn't even jump on people, but this girl, as soon as she saw my well behaved pup, screamed "OH MY GOD YOU HAVE A PIT BULL!!" and jumped back out my front door onto the porch! I put my dogs in my bedroom so she could come in, but I regretted it the whole time she was there, and I wish I hadn't done that. My dogs, my house. She should have just stayed on the porch and gotten over herself!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 08:33:39 pm »
Because we have a bit of bias (okay, it's really unboundless love) for big dogs, which not everyone has, it's reasonable that others may be weary of such a big dog. Factor in the extra drool, the larger teeth, and their more powerful physique, and some people will be scared altogether.

Putting more 'cutesy' stuff on Spazz might actually be a good idea as it's more inviting when they see a dressed-up dog. That with some good behaviors like sitting and staying when told would probably put others at ease.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 08:55:36 pm »
I have had the same issues with my IW pup Morgayne. She is a baby, but as tall as a lab. I actually had someone ask me if she was an old dog. LMAO I guess because she is grey? Who knows. Anyway it seems like kids see she is a pup, and want to come pet (when we are at a park etc.) but parents look at her like she is going to eat them. So I say she is just a baby, 5 months old you can pet her if you want. Once they pet her then they have all sorts of questions and love her.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 09:08:39 pm »
I have had some people already shy away from Sierra.  She's about as tall as a lab and she too wants everybody to pet her.  She truly thinks everyone she meets is her best friend.  It's funny, but any dog me or my family has been bitten by has been a small dog.  People just think big = dangerous.  That's why I socialize Sierra like crazy.  If I see someone looking at her I go up to them and  say"do you want to pet her, she's friendly".  I'm not doing it to show off my dog, (ok.  who am I trying to kid, yes I am), but I also want people to realize that a big dog isn't necessarily dangerous.  I also want Sierra to love everbody because I would be so disappointed if she ever did anything to confirm that line of thinking.
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 03:56:25 am »
Hmmm.. I have to try that with Sierra...  I swear my poor pup has ADD...

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 04:41:41 am »
Rosie has a tendency to bark at strangers too, which doesn't help. We've tried distracting her with treats, but she's still persistent about shoving her nose in all the inappropriate [private] places. Most people are understanding, but we should probably still ween her from that behavior.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 10:53:49 am »
I loved it at our old house when sales men came to the door...I would get my 2 Danes all excited with "who's here? who is it" then when the doorbell rang all heck would brek loose (bark bark woof woof). Then when I opened the door a very shocked person would be standing there...Once an older man looked at me and said "never mind...you don't need it" and walked away. LOL he was selling home security...hah aha
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 12:47:42 pm »
LMAO!! Phelan is my greatest weapon against the persistent salesman ;)

I went to the dog park today and we played with a female Rhody, until i talked with the owner i didn't realize what a bad stereotype they had. I would never have thought they would be grouped in the BSL group or appear scary to people. Apparently just the ridge appears threatening to people ::) The things you learn at the dogpark. I'm in the process of learning that people who don't want to be educated about your breed or have a preconceived notion of what kind of dog you have are not those who you want approaching your dog anyway. Trust me it's taking some time for me to grasp the concept :P
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 12:48:58 pm by MeandPhelan »

Offline SirdanceAlot

• Ankle Biter
  • Im to sexy for this floor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 03:47:01 pm »
BSL group???  Is there an Acronyms List or something. Im still pretty new.

The watch me command sounds like a good idea.  I need to try that.  Spazz is actually a good boy (most of the time)  his training is comming along good.  Lil man (my fert) fert=Ferret, and Spazz get along pretty well.  Spazz Loves to play with Lil-man.  Lil man likes it to for the most part.  Spazz gets excited and forgets that he weighs a couple pounds more than lil man does, Actually lil man forgets that he too weighs a little less than Spazz does.
Spazz loves to chase and pounce on lil man.  He also likes to take lil man in his mouth and toss him.  Its hallarious to watch but scary because i worry that lil man will get hurt.  But lil man always runs right back and jumps at Spazz.  Sometimes Spazz will whine when lil man gets a hold of him and sometimes lil man gets a little to much paw on him.  So I watch them very close but they enjoy their little time they get together.  Been trying to get Spazz to sit-stay and or down-stay while lil man runs around.  Out of a good 150 tries he's managed twice.  ::) . He is improving :D

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 10:29:55 pm »
Bella has this same problem. She gets sooooo excited when she sees kids, but sadly the parents interpret her excitement as strange for an "adult dog" and literally will turn and walk the other way. If they knew she was still young, then maybe her behavior would seem more normal. I too, find myself saying over and over and over again, "She's still a puppy. She's very friendly but gets excited to meet people". Even with that disclaimer many people walk around us and give Bella huge space. They're not really interested in trying. I suppose it's just part of the Big Paw experience.
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 04:44:56 am »
They're not really interested in trying. I suppose it's just part of the Big Paw experience.

It's their loss.  They don't know what they're missing.

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline happiday

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All I ever do is SMILE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 05:21:32 am »
BSL group??? Is there an Acronyms List or something. Im still pretty new.

Breed Specific Legislation

Here's a post that will help  :)

http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,18455.0.html
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 05:23:21 am by happiday »
Salli, Annie's mama!

Offline happiday

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All I ever do is SMILE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 05:26:37 am »
I REALLY need to check the dates on posts before I try to be helpful. 
DUH!    !!!
Salli, Annie's mama!