Author Topic: In the kennel.. Updated..June 30  (Read 12372 times)

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
In the kennel.. Updated..June 30
« on: June 27, 2007, 10:48:18 pm »
Well awile  back  we bought  Zeus a  xl kennel for in the house  when we are camping  traveling etc.  Wellsence  we are trying to do the switch over  from  him being outdoors we are having a big  problem.  He iwll go in the  kennel  and  lay there but as soon as  I  shut the door  he  starts  crying!!  I  feel  awfull  I  feel like he thinks  back to when we got him  at the shelter where he was  looked up  with h is  siblings in a big kennel.  What  can i do?  I have  gave  him treats  let him slowly go in  sniff it  lay in it with  the odor open with me sitting  right there. I ahve a big blankey in there now  but im  goimng to  buy or build a big  bed  to put init.  We really  cant  let  him roam around  free all night.  BUt He goes  crazy when  I shut that door.

Should I Just let  him  cry it out???
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 11:10:22 pm by Britz »
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Icerotti

Re: In the kennel
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 10:51:11 pm »
Farley was the same way. People here suggested covering most of the crate with blankets over the top/sides. It really made him feel more secure. I don't think he liked the openess of the wire crate.
It is one of those things that takes a while to get use to.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 10:52:44 pm »
YES!  Grace hated it too in the beginning.  Now all i have to do when it's time for her to go into her crate is say "go to bed, baby!"  and with 2 bones as a reward she RUNS into her crate and that's where she is when i'm not in the house.  She's at the point where she can be free at night...but she wasn't for almost 2 years.  
It's gotta be made a fun things after they get used to it being their room so to speak.  
but you will have to let him cry it out for a while.

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 10:56:10 pm »
Farley was the same way. People here suggested covering most of the crate with blankets over the top/sides. It really made him feel more secure. I don't think he liked the openess of the wire crate.

I was thinking  about that  last  night  wee use to  do that  to  are budgies growing up lol  Ill try that  today  hope it will work. I just  Dont want him to think he is in  trouble.  I plan today to bring him  in alot  more than  I have been  so once  the summer heat  really strikes he will  be fully  inside.  HE also NEed a BATH lol

YES! Grace hated it too in the beginning. Now all i have to do when it's time for her to go into her crate is say "go to bed, baby!" and with 2 bones as a reward she RUNS into her crate and that's where she is when i'm not in the house. She's at the point where she can be free at night...but she wasn't for almost 2 years.
It's gotta be made a fun things after they get used to it being their room so to speak.

Aww i hate to here him  cry  But I guess ih ave had to let my kids  cry it out  so I ll have to listen to him. Ill just have to do it when  kids arn't in bed sence they woudl  forsurely  wake up lol I was totaly  at lost  when he cried are pom loved his kennel 
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 10:57:50 pm »
a thought about the dog bed.
I went to family dollar (the equivilant of Big Lots) and bought about 3 pillows there for $5 each.  you can go to Walmart too i suppose.  Those are so much easier to wash too and cheaper than those $30 dog beds.  Grace loves them cuz they are more arrangable.  And without spending a lot at first you'll find out if Zues is a pillow chewer/destroyer in a more cost efficient way.  I remember coming home after work to find Lady in a pile of feathers or stuffing.  She would sleep at night without up her pillows, but when we were at work she would rip them to shreds.  
I know you weren't here on BPO during the Lady/Grace days...she's the Rott i had with my ex husband and he kept her and i kept Grace.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 10:58:45 pm »

I was thinking  about that  last  night  wee use to  do that  to  are budgies growing up lol  Ill try that  today  hope it will work. I just  Dont want him to think he is in  trouble.  I plan today to bring him  in alot  more than  I have been  so once  the summer heat  really strikes he will  be fully  inside.  HE also NEed a BATH lol

YES! Grace hated it too in the beginning. Now all i have to do when it's time for her to go into her crate is say "go to bed, baby!" and with 2 bones as a reward she RUNS into her crate and that's where she is when i'm not in the house. She's at the point where she can be free at night...but she wasn't for almost 2 years.

Aww i hate to here him  cry  But I guess ih ave had to let my kids  cry it out  so I ll have to listen to him. Ill just have to do it when  kids arn't in bed sence they woudl  forsurely  wake up lol I was totaly  at lost  when he cried are pom loved his kennel 
I know I know.  it's hard to listen to them cry.  but they know it will make you let them out.
did you let your skin kids cry it out when they were little? 

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 11:04:27 pm »
Thank you lin  for all the advice......  I may  make a couple  pil;lows and throw in there  for him  rightn ow  he has a blanket  to me it  dont look to  comfy.. His  dog house  looks  more comfy.. It has  3 blankies and  a pillo win it and dont forget  the cat  also in there with him.  He  loves stuffies so I have a ocuple of h is stuffies in there for  him. Im buying a kong  next time I got to town for him  Ijust  keep  forgetting lol.

As  for the human  kids  yeah I had to let them  cry it out  alot  to.. we stiill have to some nights. Bo I guess ill neeed  hubbies help with  zeus  crying it out like the kids he  practically always has to sit on me so  i dont get them lol
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 11:05:26 pm »
I am NO help on this...I hated hearing them cry, I put them in bed with me or sectioned off a spot next to my bed. LOL I am a super light sleeper, so if they woke up, I would to and I could go let them out to potty...
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 11:06:40 pm »
I have seen some really good stuff on here about crate training. Try doing a search for "crate training" and see if you can pull up some threads.

What I did when we first starting crate training was leave the house for a bit or go outside. It is a lot harder when you are in there and hear them crying. But if you leave the house for a few minutes at first (then work up the time), you don't have to hear the crying and it's a lot easier on yourself. If they are still crying when you come inside, wait until they stop, then go reward with yummy treats. In a few days he will begin to enjoy the crate.

Ill have to try that.
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline Ice Blue

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 11:08:20 pm »
You need to let him cry it out, and not let him out unless he's quiet. Even if it's only for a second that's when you open the door, he shouldn't be rewarded for making noise. Most pups hate crates in the beginning. Remy despised his crate, he would howl and make noises I've never heard before, but now he loves it. I would put two dried chicken strips in his kong and reward him for going in in crate (which we also call 'bed' ;) :D) and that's the only place he get the chicken, which he loves loves loves! Now he associated his bed with chicken. We get the chicken at Costco if you want to try it, it has worked really well, he'll just go right in at night now, so I just give him chicken when I go out.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 11:10:28 pm by Ice Blue »
Caitlin

Remy - German Shepherd (7 mths)
Copper - Shetland Sheepdog (14 yrs)
Birch - Lizard (Mali Uromastyx)

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 12:34:57 am »
throwing a blanket over the crate with boog is like pressing the mute button. it's so funny, he'll just stop crying and....that's the end of it!
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 02:10:50 am »
Im going to have to try the  Blanket  thing later today.  I  put him in it earlier  so I could  get  some  cleaning done  HE was  in there  for  10 minutes and  finally  stoped  howling BUt I think the only reason he stopped is  cuz He could hear me comein.  Well  Im going to keep on it.  THe only  way I will be alowe dto haev him in the hosue  if he sleeps in  his kennel  So Im going to have  keep on him.  IM hopping to go to  the pet  store saturday so Im going to  get a kong  for him.
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline Ice Blue

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 02:51:01 am »
I just remembered what my breeder told me to do. She suggested that I should get Remy to go in his crate for five minutes and out for five minutes all afternoon. Keep going in and out, so he would get the notion that when he goes in, he always comes out. We use a blanket over his crate as well, but that's more for light in the morning so he sleeps in a little longer that 5:30am (yuck!) It works well. Good luck with Zeus, and keep at it, I'm sure he'll love it eventually! ;) :D And I'm sure he'll like his kong too!  ;D
Caitlin

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 03:45:15 am »
I just remembered what my breeder told me to do. She suggested that I should get Remy to go in his crate for five minutes and out for five minutes all afternoon. Keep going in and out, so he would get the notion that when he goes in, he always comes out. We use a blanket over his crate as well, but that's more for light in the morning so he sleeps in a little longer that 5:30am (yuck!) It works well. Good luck with Zeus, and keep at it, I'm sure he'll love it eventually! ;) :D And I'm sure he'll like his kong too!  ;D

We are now having  a problem  he wont go in it at alllll...  I put  his  toy in and  then  he  brings it out  but  will stretch his head to get it
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline Ice Blue

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 03:54:09 am »
Remy did that too, I remember I got in the kennel with him once (and then my sister locked it, we won't get into that ;D lol) and he was much better for going in. I don't know if that's what I was 'supposed' to do, but it kinda work lol After he go a bit better, I would throw his favourite ball right to the back so he would want to and have to go in all the way. I worked up to the in/out sessions, maybe let him be a bit more comfortable going in his crate before you try that method.

(I posted this pic before, but I thought it would be appropriate)
Caitlin