Shepherds > German Shepherd Discussions

Hi everyone Back again with a new big paw. Sarge a GSD.

(1/2) > >>

Sargesmomma:
Well we sorta had this amazing fella fall into our laps and  am really excited about making it work.
He is a breeder dog that lived in a kennel.
Very well socialized very sweet and soft and amazingly smart.
My issues are jumping on us and pawing us.  2 big NO NO's considering I would love to do therapy with him.
Never owned a Shepherd before buthave had various dogs.
My very fav was a Mastiff that we put down in Jan.
Hopefully I can bond with this lover the same way.
So any hints or ideas to help integrate this big guy would be awsome.

Sillygoose:
Hello, When your dog jumps or paws at you you must ignore him. Very important that he figures out that as long as he is jumping and pawing he gets no attention. If you"re pushing him down or patting him when he does this you are just encouraging this behaviour. Once he stops pawing or jumping praise him and tell him he's a good boy. Walk away from him if you have to. He will eventually make the connection that his jumping and pawing gets him no attention. Good luck, it will work if your cosistent with it. Also have your family members treat him this way too.

Ice Blue:
Welcome to BPO!! I'm Caitlin, my crew is below, and I must say I'm partial to GSDs, I just got one as well and have completely fallen in love with the breed! Remy really swept me off my feet. As for jumping up, you can do one of two things, you can ignore him so he get no attention when he jumps up, which is the more common method; Or you can do what my friend did, she would hold her lab's paws when she jumped up(not hard just so she struggles a little) and the dog hated it, and therefor no long would jump up. Again welcome, I hope you  enjoy the site!

navarre1316:
Welcome!!  With some GSD, as with others as well, the ignoring doesn't work, it just makes them more determined to get your attention!!  I think when Sarge realizes that he gets a lot of attention when he's on all fours and relatively still, a lot of this will subside.  Until then....the holding of the paws works well, especially with the pawing.  With Navarre, when he would jump up I would just take a step back and he would miss and eventually he did stop.  As he got older he would still jump up sometimes but he would never touch me!!!
I'm going through the 5mnth stage with Issabeaux and since I want to try her in Schutz or agility I can't let her think that what she's doing is bad (like the lovely nipping/chewing on me) so I have to take a deep breath and redirect which is sometimes hard when there's not a toy within reach!!!  Good luck, you will love the breed and chances are will have one from now on! 

GoldenPyrs:
Hi & welcome!  Congratulation s on your new furry baby.  I don't have any GSD experience, so this may not work with Sarge, but I'll tell you what we did anyway in case it helps at all.  When we adopted Cassie (mostly Pyr) this Feb she was one wild little girl.  She jumped up on us constantly and mouthed our hands roughly.  This wasn't occasional, it was literally constant.  Since she was 21 mos old and 70#, and she could knock our youngest son flat, it wasn't ok with us.  We were very consistant with her saying "no jump" and "no mouth" firmly and then we'd turn our back to her until she settled down.  It seldom took more than 15-20 seconds and she'd stand still and look puzzled.  Then she would get lots of affection and treats.  We also did a lot of short obedience sessions with her (NILF) type work and within a couple of weeks she was doing great.  In retrospect, I think that a lot of what she was doing was stress induced.  She didn't know where she was or why and she was scared and missing her previous family, poor baby.  My point is that I think that with time and consistant, loving training that Sarge will settle down nicely.  Please give him a hug for me.

Oh and BTW, Cassie is now the sweetest, gentle-ist snuggle bug that we could have ever asked for.  One of our son's has had problems with reading and she's become his own private reading therapy dog.   :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version