Author Topic: boog is sick  (Read 4630 times)

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
boog is sick
« on: July 02, 2007, 06:32:38 am »
i took boog out to go potty today, and was very alarmed when what came out the back end was red! so we went to the vets and they took his temp which is 103 they said that it's prabably a bacterial infection. so he's on antibiotics for the next week. thank god it wasnt parvo. but since this has happened ive been wondering 'what if he would get realy sick and loose a bunch of weight'? he's just skin and bones as it is. so i asked the vet if i can give him anything to eat in addition to his puppy food (were still working on the last bag of science diet before we switch to innova)to help him gain some weight. and he recomended another bag of science diet. which of course i didnt go for. so i would like to ask all of you what you would recoment for me to mix into his dry food to help him put on some pounds.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: boog is sick
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 07:21:37 am »
If you are just looking for a dietary supplement to help with increasing calories then Nutrical is a good supplement.  You can get it from the vet or from vet supply stores and I think Drs Foster & Smith carry it also. 
Do you give him any wet food mixed with the dry?  My guys get a can of Merrick mixed in with their Evo.  Maybe a can of Innova in with the SD until the change over. 

Modified because I'm a dork and forgot to add that I hope Boog feels better really soon.  My pups have had a couple of bacterial infections.  It's always loads of fun.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 07:23:04 am by kathryn »
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 07:46:58 am »
oh, by the way i forgot to add that other than the infection booger looks like he's growing good, and he weighs 26 pounds :)
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 11:33:33 am »
You probably don't want to use Satin Balls.  They are super rich and really meant for underweight adults, not pups.

I hate to tell you, but I'd recommend ditching most of the rest of the SD (or maybe donating it to the local shelter) and saving just enough to go ahead with the switch to Innova.  I have had several fosters who came to me on SD and had nasty intestinal problems (two of them chronic, as in months and months of nastiness).  Taking them off the SD and putting them on Innova not only cleared up the intestinal problems within a week, it started putting the weight on them right away.  I think a lot of dogs just have huge problems with SD, even the prescription formulas.

alright, ill do that tomorrow then. it just worries me thinking about what would happen if he lost his appetite, he doesnt have any fat stored up the beanpole!
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 12:31:35 am »
Aww poor Boog  I hoep  he  gets  better  quick.
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 12:36:50 am »
Poor little Booger... 
lots of hugs and kisses for a speedy recovery :)
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 05:53:44 am »
ok just got back from the only store in a 60 mile radius that sells innova (according to posted website) and im realy disapointed. i wont be able to switch the boys over to it after all. i got to the shop that 'carries it' and there were 3, count em 3, bags on the floor. all the wrong kind. oh by the way, how much does your dog food cost. this store was selling innova 20 lb. bags for a little over 65$!?!.......... cannot afford!  ;)-holy- ;)  cow! so even if i would be the riches person in town, they still didnt carry the the right kind. so in forming of plan b please give me any other ideas....

we seriously have no pet specialty stores in the area and are limited to walmart and vetrinary offices and farm stores for dog food. so the choices start with eukaneuba, which max's stomach did NOT agree with, science diet which we are on now, iams (no), maxum, purrina, and of course the store brands  ::) i am mixing boog's dry food with canned food to help him put on some weight. main ing. are beef,beef broth, beef lung, beef liver, fresh sweet potatoes, fresh carrots, peas. in that order.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 06:15:29 am »
It sounds way too expensive!!! I buy Raw Instinct for $50 for 25lb bag. I know that Innova is a little cheaper. Why don't you call places before driving there. Sometime they can order  it for you ahead of time. Good nutrition is very important and you will save tons of money on vet bills!!!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 07:10:16 am by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline happiday

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All I ever do is SMILE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 06:51:25 am »
Have you tried Diamond Naturalshttp://www.diamondpet.com/
They have retailers all over US and Canada.  Easy to find and it's been good for our dogs.  No by-products and no corn.  Not too expensive, either, ($20-25 for 40lb.) Just my 2cents.  But I definitely agree: DITCH the SD asap!  It was what the shelter had Annie on when we brought her home.  Yukky (gas and bad poops!)
Poor Boog!  We hope you feel better real soon!
Salli, Annie's mama!