Author Topic: It's a 1st for Samson!!!...YYIIIIIIPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!  (Read 4892 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

It's a 1st for Samson!!!...YYIIIIIIPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
« on: July 18, 2005, 07:44:16 pm »
I had visitors today...A lady I am friendly with & her 2 young children...2 girls ages 1 & 1/2 & 4...I don't know if you all know but Samson is exceedingly wary of people...even frequent visitors to my home...Up until a couple of months ago he would growl pretty much the whole time they were here & if he thought they were trying to approach him he'd literally knock over barstools & chairs trying to get under them & away from the people...Well today he did his initial barking & then LOW & BEHOLD he started sniffing the baby all over her face,then the 4 yr. old & then the mom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...The baby was able to hug & love on him as was the 4 yr. old...The mom was really happy because she'd been here one other time with the kids & Samson wouldn't come anywhere near them...I really think we reached a turning point today!...By the end of our visit Samsonw as grinning ear to ear & you could tell he was lovin' letting go of the fear It was awesome & I got pics!...Now if I can get my scanner to work I'll post them after I have them developed! ;D ;D ;D

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: It's a 1st for Samson!!!...YYIIIIIIPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 08:04:53 pm »
I am sooooooooooooo oooooo happy for you and Samson. 

Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

ann

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 08:51:01 pm »

your so proud of your boy and well you should be........does he do drive by sniffings still

ann

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 08:59:22 pm »
Yay!  Samson is a GOOD GOOD boy!
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 09:11:24 pm »
Thanks all!!!...& yes Ann, he does an occasional drive by sniffing...lol ...but he is getting past that! ;D

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 08:12:57 pm »
Good boy Sammy Whammy!!!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 08:19:51 pm »
You go Sammy........ What a good boy. I am sure things will be a lot easier for you now Gyp, when you feel you can relax, and when you do Sammy will feel that and will have an easier time to relax too.

Give him a big slobber kiss

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

BabsT

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 07:17:22 am »
Congrats,  What made samson fearful of people? Regardless of that it is good that he is starting to trust again.  Have you tried over kill on people coming over and having them give him a tidbit of a treat?...so he can desensetizize from being afraid of people

I have the same issue with my boy but he doesnt try and get away, he will go right after you and potentially bite and isnt fearful.  For that reason, I will either leash or crate him if strangers to him are coming over.  Door is always locked so people just can wander in.

Good luck with continued success with samson...gutta love those LGD's

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 07:22:28 am »
Thank guys!...I got Samson at 14 weeks old & he ahdn't been socialized AT ALL!...I mean no petting or anything!...The breeder raises the dogs for gaurding livestock & many of these breeders think no socialization with people makes for a better lgd...His sister was still there when we got Samson but I do have to say that she was more friendly...I don't know if it' something inside of Samson in addition to the non-socialization that did it or if there is more to it...I don't think he was abused in any way but from watching his sister interact with him I do think he was the picked on puppy in the litter.

BabsT

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 08:12:24 am »
I get ya, Zero came from a working ranch as well 100 acre one in California.  I think the difference is I got him at 9.5 weeks and those weeks in a pup is a critical period.  The other thing was Zero was temp tested and only 2 out of the 11 pups were suited to live within a family.  Zero wasnt the Alpha male but he wasnt picked on either.  he was the biggest male of the litter though

I do know that the breeder kept two girls but then decided to not keep them and now they are zero's age and NO socialization.  Poor things, :(

I am glad that sampson has a good home!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2005, 10:06:38 am »
I get ya, Zero came from a working ranch as well 100 acre one in California.  I think the difference is I got him at 9.5 weeks and those weeks in a pup is a critical period.  The other thing was Zero was temp tested and only 2 out of the 11 pups were suited to live within a family.  Zero wasnt the Alpha male but he wasnt picked on either.  he was the biggest male of the litter though

I do know that the breeder kept two girls but then decided to not keep them and now they are zero's age and NO socialization.  Poor things, :(

I am glad that sampson has a good home!
Had Samson been temperment tested as a family pet I am 110% sure he would have failed miserably!!!!!!!!!!!...I knew I shouldn't have picked him even but one look at him cowering in the corner my save the world instincts kicked in & I just thought who else will want him???...After a very quick argument with myself..."I am home 24-7...I have all the time in the world to spend with him"..".But, (self) he's your first dog...Is this a good idea"?..."Who else will want him...I mean what if he gets an owner who won't love him as much as I will"?..."Are you sure this is a good idea self"?...Well, he's not going to make it as an LGD...I mean what if he saw a strange rock in the field"?..."He'd be eyeing it & barking at it while the sheep were carted away by wolves"!!!..."But self you have never had a dog much less a dog with obvious issues"..."OH SHUTUP ALREADY"!!!...Right after the argument in my head I grabbed Sammy, carried all 43 lbs. of him to the van (he'd never had a collar or been on a leash) as I yelled over my shoulder to my hubby, "Honey pay the lady"....lol...The rest is history! ;D

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2005, 10:15:55 am »
LOL That is the best story ever Gypsy

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

BabsT

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2005, 10:23:11 am »
It is hard...my sister in law took a 6 week old weimeraner (sp) that was sick and all...she couldnt leave her...jenga is now turning 9 and has some seperation anxiety but other wise she is 100% ok

Sammy is lucky to have you

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2005, 10:57:55 am »
It is hard...my sister in law took a 6 week old weimeraner (sp) that was sick and all...she couldnt leave her...jenga is now turning 9 and has some seperation anxiety but other wise she is 100% ok

Sammy is lucky to have you
Oh contrar!...lol...It is I who am lucky to have Sammy!!!!! ;D :D