Author Topic: uh oh...puppies.  (Read 8919 times)

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
uh oh...puppies.
« on: July 04, 2007, 10:46:54 pm »
Ugh...This place is only about 30 min. from me. They have 4 female black danes w/white paws..... I'm not ready for a puppy, or am I??? I wanted to rescue my next Dane...but these are sooooo tempting. She also said she would discount the girls because everyone wants boys now and she just wants them to go to good homes. Whaaaaaaaaaaa they look so much like my Tisha when she was a pup.

**Modified to remove breeder link**
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 11:40:00 pm by Holly »
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline Ice Blue

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: uh oh...puppies.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 10:55:19 pm »
OMG too cute!!!! I've always wanted a Great Dane, if they were close to me, I couldn't resist!!! hahaha I have no will power when it comes to puppies, but then again, who does?
Caitlin

Remy - German Shepherd (7 mths)
Copper - Shetland Sheepdog (14 yrs)
Birch - Lizard (Mali Uromastyx)

Offline Jas2Cats

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All my babies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 10:59:16 pm »
How adorable~!  You could get one of these, AND a rescue LOL  I'm glad their not close to me, I couldn't resist.  I've always loved Danes  ;D
Alyce

Woody  (aka Big Dog) (12 1/2) Shorthaired Laberaimer (1/2 German Shorthair, 1/4 Lab, 1/4 Weimaraimer)
Maple (aka Princess Poo) (7 1/2) Boxer/ GS mix
Fuzzy (15 1/2)long haired tabby cat
Trouble & Double 3 1/2 year old African Leopard Tortoises.
Ed (17+) and Cris (13+) skin kids

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 11:03:05 pm »
awwww...

Those puppies are super cute...but I'd be a little leery. There was one big red flag that popped up at me. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not even close to an expert on Dane genetics...not even close to a novice, really. But they've got that one dog, Bandit, she's mostly white with a few harle spots. They're saying that she is going to improve their breeding program. But, she's super mis-marked. I just thought breeding a mostly white Dane is asking for problems down the road.

Just my two cents. You can find an awesome rescue Dane, I'm sure!!! I'd just be kind of wary of supporting this type of breeding, hon. :)

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 11:25:07 pm »
Aww they are sooo cute. I want one  hehe.. way 2 cute THe females  rimind me of mY  ol dane Duke  growing up  he was  pure black  with  white
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 12:13:59 am »
 I didn't even see the white dane till you mentioned it...I found a good article explaining the whites. That type looks to be classified as a recessive/piebald white, Black on the head and a large spot on the ribcage and base of tail...
Under the category of Recessive (piebald) white, three basic genotypes (for the same phenotype) exist: sp/sp sp/sw & sw/sw. None of these "double recessive whites" are of ANY use to any harl breeding program--they are "affecteds" who spread the genes for undermarked, white bodies dogs (i.e. white-factored harls and mantles) which confuse the issue in harlequin breedings while making all their offspring carriers of mismarkings.

Very Interesting... .

-Jodi
Mom to:
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup

1996-2007

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 12:39:07 am »
Aw wheres the pics??????

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 01:28:13 am »
Ugh...This place is only about 30 min. from me. They have 4 female black danes w/white paws..... I'm not ready for a puppy, or am I??? I wanted to rescue my next Dane...but these are sooooo tempting. She also said she would discount the girls because everyone wants boys now and she just wants them to go to good homes. Whaaaaaaaaaaa they look so much like my Tisha when she was a pup.

**Modified to remove breeder link**

pm link plz!
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Nicole

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 01:35:44 am »
I didn't even see the white dane till you mentioned it...I found a good article explaining the whites. That type looks to be classified as a recessive/piebald white, Black on the head and a large spot on the ribcage and base of tail...
Under the category of Recessive (piebald) white, three basic genotypes (for the same phenotype) exist: sp/sp sp/sw & sw/sw. None of these "double recessive whites" are of ANY use to any harl breeding program--they are "affecteds" who spread the genes for undermarked, white bodies dogs (i.e. white-factored harls and mantles) which confuse the issue in harlequin breedings while making all their offspring carriers of mismarkings.

Very Interesting... .

Yeah, and my understanding is that not only will they not contribute to a good breeding program for color, there are also some genetic defects associated with this type of mismarking.

Anyone else, feel free to chime in here, because like I said, I'm FAR from an expert on Dane genetics!

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 01:45:31 am »
recieved link* puppers are very cute!
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 03:40:06 am »
Here is a pic for one of the pups for those that wanted to see them:
-Jodi
Mom to:
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup

1996-2007