Author Topic: Love Stingy Newf  (Read 4607 times)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
Love Stingy Newf
« on: July 19, 2005, 10:31:33 am »
Sarah and I are so frustrated with Drake.  He is so stingy with his love, he never gives us kisses unless we have been gone for a while.  Then its one little lick on the face, if we're lucky, and that's it.  Even after we had been gone to Fiji for two weeks, we got home and Drake was really excited to see us and gave a few licks, but that's it.  HE IS SO FREAKIN' LOVE STINGY!!!   He wanted to play ball, but forget hugging or nuzzling. Yogi gives lots of love licks, so I know it's not a Newf thing.  We try forced love on him and sit nose to muzzle with him and all he does is grunt and turn his head.  ARRRRRRRRRRRR!  He's just not very needy and not very affectionate I guess.  Many dogs won't leave you alone, but not Drake!  I think it's so frustrating because Newfs are so huggable.  Does anyone else have this problem?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 10:34:22 am by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Nicole

Re: Love Stingy Newf
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 10:37:20 am »
YES!
Cabeza NEVER EVER EVER gives kisses. Occasionally, he'll give a little half lick on the back of your leg or something, and then he gets this look on his face like, "Um, why did that happen? Oops!" But, to be honest, we like it that way! haha! Neither my boyfriend or I are very into super kissy dogs.

But, Cabeza does give nuzzles. He likes to lean into you and he'll force his head under your hand for pets when he wants them.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 10:54:55 am »
Samson isn't a jump up & lick your face kind of dog either...When we come home is he has to be left we're lucky if he opens an eye to greet us!...lol!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 10:57:57 am »
Bear is like that with me whenever we are apart. For example, he left me to go camping with his daddy this weekend and when he got home he completely ignored me. I waited a bit, got close to his muzzle trying to kiss & cuddle and he would turn his head from me. Eventually he comes around but it takes a while. Once he is better though he is all about cuddles, rubs and sitting close together. On a regular basis though, he gives me quick kisses cuz I don't really like face licking but will love on Michael. Good luck with Drake.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 11:06:03 am »
I have the opposite problem. Zoey loves - I mean LOVES - to give us doggy kisses. I hate when dogs lick my face but I've pretty much had to get used to it with Zoey, because she is obsessed with kissing and 'grooming' me. She licks us every chance she gets. I mean, seriously, she spends at least 2 hours a day licking either me or her puppy-daddy, even if it is just our feet while we are sitting on the couch.
RIP former BPO

Nicole

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 11:14:19 am »
hahaha! We fostered a Saint that was like that, Shangrila! She licked and kissed and loved all over everyone! She especially loved to give Cabeza big drooly doggie kisses on the top of his head. He loved them!

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 11:24:19 am »
It's not just the kissing stuff, which I'm kinda glad he doesn't do too much (i.e. DROOL).  It is a bit annoying when a dog wont stop licking you.  But it's the hugging/snuggling/cuddling stuff.  I just like to hug him from time to time, but Sarah is constantly trying to get him to snuggle on the couch or on the bed or even on the floor.  He puts up with it for about 1 minute and then he gets up and goes over and flops on the the floor with a disgusted grunt.  He likes being pet, having his chin and butt itched but that's about it.  He's not a cuddly dog and from some of your responses, I guess that's better than having a overly needy dog who wont leave you alone.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 11:29:36 am by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 01:50:33 pm »
I'd have to say my dogs are on the side of over-affectionate. If it were up to Zoot, every moment would be filled with snuggling and face licking, and if you sit down on the couch you can expect a dog in your lap in less than 30 seconds. Nigel isn't quite as extreme, but if you hug him he will not only hug you back but basicly push you over and lick your face and neck until you can struggle your way out from under him. Both love to lay right next to me in the bed, even though it is the middle of summer and pretty freakin hot, they are still touching me all night long. Lucky for me I think I am as needy as they are for affection so we have a nice deal going on here!
 :D

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 01:52:30 pm »
Lady is affectionate right when you get home...and then she's pretty stingy too.  She'll snuggle when she's tired and that's about it.  I try not to take it personally.  Now Grace on the other hand is hard to peel off you sometimes.  :)  It's a personality thing.

Icerotti

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 01:58:18 pm »
Puck the rotti is a licker and a under the arm nuddger. He pratically dislocates my shoulder trying to get a pat on the head.
Farley the Vizsla gives his puppy love nips right now.LOL He would rather cuddle. When he gets tired he comes over and wants up on my lap so he can goto sleep. I am sure he will be trying this still when he is 60 pds. ;)

Offline TwoNewfies

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2005, 05:31:25 am »
Bella is a little lover girl all the way. She can give kisses all day BUT once in a while if she isnt happy about something, and you want her to give a kiss she will look right at you and then turn her face away. It drives me MAD!!!  I know that's her way of saying, "um, I don't think so!"

Rocco on the other hand is now learning to give kisses. He's becoming a little Cassanova. But when he kisses he still nibbles so it sometimes hurts because he kisses and nibbles at you at the same time. I guess he has to start somewhere :D
Gina

All dogs are pets.  Newfoundlands are family!

GR8DAME

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 07:55:00 am »
I have both. Raven will sit on your feet as long as you are petting her and paying attention to her, but if you stop she is history. Merlin will not snuggle if you tied a pork chop around your neck and took a bath in gravy. Strider is too hyper to really snuggle for long, but he will snuggle for a moment or two before rocketting off to his next misadventure. In those two minutes you will be thoroughly mugged and tongue lashed.
Stella

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2005, 08:10:29 pm »
mine are all over me, sydney gives very light feather touch kisses, morgan to, but not much, tasha will throw u off balance with the force of her kisses, and penny jumps up to kiss.
they all are very affectionate, but some more than others.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505