Author Topic: My Little Shy Berner...  (Read 2185 times)

Offline Bernertomboi

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
My Little Shy Berner...
« on: July 12, 2007, 10:56:15 am »
I am sure that we all remember the kid in the back of the class that wouldn't talk to anyone, would never speak unless forced to, and would walk away as soon as someone tried to talk to them.  This is Maddax he is so shy around people, we take him everywhere with us and he still runs away anytime someone tries to pet him. He will go up to them and sniff, but the minute they try and give him a pet, well I didn't know berners could run so fast.

Now don't let him fool you, when he gets around his friends (he has a full grown berner "sunny" down the street, a minature dachsund "whimper", and a terrier "ariel") or is at home with his brothers he is a different dog.  He can't get close enough.  He has taken to back hugs(paws over sholders licking my ears) when I am leaning over my computer on the couch. 

So how can I have him become friendlier around people?  We were hoping to get him involved in Therapy work, but can't if he stays this shy.

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
Re: My Little Shy Berner...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 07:01:23 am »

This is a major problem in Berners and there are several national health efforts to breed out shyness in the breed. Until then, it continues. Most shy Berners are so by lineage and you can improve it some, but will not eliminate it. Shy dogs should never be bred, so talk to your breeder for assistance and information on the parents and their shyness.

For many Berners, they are such a sensitive breed that they can become shy through experience and the fear imprint periods. If something traumatic (and it can be really small in our view) occurred during one of the fear periods, a Berner will never forget. Berners commonly generalize their fears, so if a man scared him during a fear imprint period, he could eventually start generalizing to all men or all strangers.

What you are describing is serious shyness with a high flight instinct - I have a rescue here that I am fostering and rehabilitating until we can place him and he has the same fearful behaviors. I have been working with him for 6 months to counter condition carefully and he has come a long way. I am working on a second Berner, a female right now with a less significant shyness issue but she will likely take just as long.  It is critical not to take them out into heavy public places and allow strangers to approach with outreaching hands - every time this happens, you reinforce the fear and make it harder to correct. So it is important not to "practice" the fear so to speak. Never try to force him to endure the scary strangers and put him in a fleeing position - this is called flooding and is very detrimental to long term recovery.

Understand the patterns and triggers - is it men? small children? all strangers? strangers with sunglasses? etc. so you know what to avoid. Don't allow the two of you to get blindsided either. For my foster, it is small children (he is now over men) and I step in front and put my hand up to politely stop any and all children from approaching him.  I explain that he is scared and ask them to all stay still, avoid eye contact, and hand them treats. They stand at whatever distance is necessary for the dog's comfort. They throw the treats on the ground in front of the dog. If the dog will take the treats, then they can start throwing them closer to themselves so the dog advances a little. If the dog is willing to approach, I let them hand the treat out in their hand.

I strongly encourage you to purchase Patricia McConnell's "The Cautious Canine" for a solid counter conditioning program and guidance to overcome this:

http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/books-retail.php

She walks you through everything including exercises as home you can do with a stranger coming to your door etc. as well as outline the pace to work so you don't push the dog too fast and venture out into the scary situations. Her program has a phenomenal success rate.

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar