Author Topic: Well I bought Bubba a 'Gentle Leader'...  (Read 5547 times)

Lyn

Well I bought Bubba a 'Gentle Leader'...
« on: June 25, 2007, 05:38:40 am »
AND... He hates it with a passion. LOL

Normally he walks really well with a regular collar. But there are times where he will yank when I least expect it. Like last summer when he yanked me onto a busy road to see a child that was on the opposite sidewalk. :o I'm *hoping* the GL will give me more control and in turn make me less nervous to take him out in public.

Now my problem is that I have a vet appointment for Bubba this week and well my hubby is usually the Bubba 'wrangler' (lol) But he is leaving to go up north to do a roof tomorrow and will be gone all week. So I need to get Bubba used to the GL so I can take him there myself.

Any tips to get him used to it? Basically it's the nose strap that he hates.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Well I bought Bubba a 'Gentle Leader'...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 05:49:24 am »
I haven't tried the gentle leader, so I don't really know, but my instict is to say have him wear it frequently and give him lots of treats when he does
RIP former BPO

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 06:31:19 am »
That's what I figured too, but he wouldn't take any treats while it was on. He was too busy trying to take it off. Plus Lola being the knob that she is was trying to 'help' him pull it off. So in order for him to wear it she can't be in the same room. :-\

So I basically got it fitted properly on him, had him sit and stay.. and then I took it off and gave him a boatload of treats.

I think I might just have to take him outside and make him walk with it. Maybe it will distract him long enough for me to shovel in the treats. LOL Plus he loves going out for walks.. with any luck I can get him to associate the GL with walkies?

His vet appointment is in 2 days.. so I need to get cracking. LOL

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 07:05:53 am »
i've gotten Grace almost all the different kinds of GL's or anti pull leashes or bras.  she hates them but they are needed.  so now i have a runway's worth of fashion accessories as i call them to change up once in a while...she tends to get used to one and work it.  once she gets too comfy with one i dress her in a new one and we get our control back.  it's a process.
of course we only have the pulling issue in the city.  At Rob's house in the country we can walk with absolutely no problem. 

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 08:31:54 am »
There is a widely adopted introduction process for the gentle leader that is taught by animal behaviorists.  How well your dog accepts a gentle leader depends on how you introduce it to him, so just be aware that if you did not provide any de-sensitization period and immediately snapped the leash on then the process could take longer and will require more patience.

I will try to summarize here, but just know there is much more written guidance to this process:

The halter should be introduced gradually and associated with something positive (yummy treats).  He will need time to adjust to having something around his muzzle since this is extremely foreign and a significant sign of control by you.

Begin in your house or yard where there are no noises or activity to distract him.

Day 1: 

A half dozen times or so, hold the nose loop open with a treat behind it so your dog has to stick his nose through the loop to get it. Use a cue marker such as click, or "yes". Repeat this exercise three or four times during the day, for a dozen reptetitions. Use a cue marker each time you begin (like "halter") to teach him a phrase that means putting the halter on.

Day 2:

Follow the same procedure as day 1, except now when the dog has his nose in the loop, pull very gently on the halter to put a little pressure on the nose loop.  Wait a little longer each time before you click/yes and reward. Repeat 5-6 times throughout the day.  Do not reward if he struggles or paws the halter.

Day 3:

Continue the same process, except after the dog has done the nose in loop two or three times, snap the buckle closed behind his ears. Let him wear it for several seconds while feeding him treats and keeping him in a positive state. Unbuckle it as long as he is calm. Don't teach him that struggling or resisting results in the halter being removed.

Day 4:

Put the halter on following the same process. Let him walk around the room, using reward markers and treats. When he is calm, attach the leash to the ring under his chin. Try walking him a few yards. Use gentle pressure only. ALWAYS ensure the leash goes from under his chin directly to you, never behind his head or over his neck. Any time he gives to the pressure of turning to you, use your reward cue and treat. Also, click/or cue lots of times when he is near you and not pulling to teach him that not pulling gets rewarded. Remove when he is calm, and not resisting.

Day 5:

Begin the same as day 4. If your dog is accepting the halter and leash well indoors, go outdoors in a controlled environment like your backyard. If you started outdoors, expand the area. As a safeguard, attach his leash to a regular collar so if he slips out or is going to hit the end of the leash hard, you can use the second leash as an emergency stop, and regain control with the halter. This avoids damage to his spine.

Day 6:

Graduate to walking up and down your street. Be prepared for his anxiety level to increase as the environment expands. As always, reinforce with reward cues and treats.

If your dog balks at any point, slow down and back up a step for an extra two or three days. It is normal to occasionally rub the halter against you or paw at it - if he does - then distract him by moving forward, talking to him, and rewarding with forward movement. Reward when he is not resisting.

Day 7:

If your dog has progressed well, you are ready to tackle the world now. Avoid moving any faster than this as you will cause aversion to the halter and situation with you making it longer to address and build a positive relationship.

For those who make the mistake of putting it on their dog and going right out, they can require up to 14 days to adjust with this process.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 08:35:16 am by sc.trojans »
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 10:56:08 am »
did you watch the dvd that comes with it? i just got one for max when we were on vacation. the video says that the shape of the leader should be a v for victory  not an L for too loose! it also says that while they are getting used to the gentle leader on their head you should not baby them or make a big deal about it. just ignore whatever they are doing or try to sidetrack them. eventualy they get used to it. some sooner than others. max went for about 3 walks before he became realy comfortable with it. and even then a couple times. i think with us its just going to take some practice. make sure the nose loop is not too loose or too tight the part that goes around the neck should be very very high and very tight (cd says that when you think that it's too tight then it's just right). good luck!
oh! the dvd says to never try putting the GL on the dog from the front, always do it from beside or behind him. because it looks more harmless to pup that way.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 08:57:15 pm »
Well after reading sc.trojans post I figured I better reschedule Bubba's vet appointment. If I want the GL to work for him I have to give him time to get used to it.

Lola has an appointment for next week, so I think I'm just going to switch. I'll take Bubba next week and Lola tomorrow. Although taking Lola to the vet is a pain in the rear too with her dislike of other dogs. But I can leave her in the truck with the air conditioning until they call us in. ;) *sigh*

Forgot to add... I didn't get a dvd with the GL. Just came with a book with fitting instructions.  :-\
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 09:35:03 pm by Lyn »

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 11:59:53 pm »
Hi Lyn. Bella wears a gentle leader for the same reasons! Great and calm on the leash 95% of the time, but then we'll encounter something unexpected and in her excitement she's off and I go for a ride. It had to stop!!! Bella hates her gentle leader too. She spends the first 15-20 minutes of our walks each day trying to rub it off in the grass, or on passer-bys.   I have considered trying a harness of some kind, but haven't yet. One thing I will say is that gentle leaders come in two types. The nose band can be thin or thick. I was told by my behaviorist that because Bella's muzzle is so short and so... thick that the thick band is the only way to go. I am not sure if you have the same one or the thin one, but apparently the thinner band is far more irritating and rough on their nose and they tend to notice it more. Bella is getting better and better with it, but she still doesn't like it. My trainer suggested I make Bella wear it in the house with nothing pulling on it every day for a little bit before trying to use it on a walk. That might be a little tougher for you with Lola around. Good luck!

Angeleen
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Lyn

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 03:42:07 am »
Thanks, Ang. I do have the one with the thick nose band.

I think we are making some progess. I have put it on him and taken it off a couple times today without too much protest.

I do however have to shut Lola in another room while I'm working with him. ::) She has taken to nipping him when he tries to remove it. She's alpha with a capital B. :-\

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 03:21:37 am »
I just read an article "THE PROBLEM WITH HEAD HALTERS" by Suzanne Clothier.
Several comments from her:
"Head halters, like ALL training equipment, need to be used carefully. "
"NO training equipment can substitute for a strong, mutually respectful relationship."
"On a physical basis, the halter is probably the one piece of training equipment that appalls me most - the potential for injuring the dog is simply too high."
"NOTHING in the dog's physical construction or his nervous system prepares him for the force of an unexpected, externally directed, sideways and upward movement of the head while his body is still moving forward (sometimes at considerable speed!)."
"In some situations, head halters might be a suitable choice, but should be viewed as a temporary phase, not a life long solution."
For the whole article(long):http://www.flyingdogpress.com/headhalters.html