Author Topic: wish us luck--first day of doggy school  (Read 6217 times)

Offline heidismom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
wish us luck--first day of doggy school
« on: July 14, 2007, 11:47:04 pm »
heidi is my first dog, so i figured especially since she is a german shepherd i had better go to doggy school.  now i'm worried that she will cause so much chaos with the other dogs that we'll be kicked out of class. which wouldn't be the end of the world since she is learning very fast with just me, but it would be embarassing.  wish us luck!

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: wish us luck--first day of doggy school
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 12:04:18 am »
we took Chloe our great dane pup to class once so far. Shes very quiet and LOVES the teacher so she just sits there and watches her all class, shes the little teachers pet! but we were next to a dog named Sparks. and hes ooooooooooooon e bad egg! the woman brought him there as a last resort before she gets rid of him. i guess hes bitten her 6yr old kid before and he wont listen. he got nasty with the teacher too, but since SHE is the alpha dog there, he eventually backed down. i cant really blame sparks for his behavior because as we found out, the woman leaves him at home with her kids a lot and shes "not sure" if they hit him or not. it was kind of suspicious to me that if you went to pet him he would give a little jump like you were going to hurt him... thank god the teacher asked right out if they hit that dog... sadly her reply was "i dont know, im not home" HELLOOOOOO?!?!?! do you see something wrong here?
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 12:11:42 am »
good luck you two, i bet you wont need it though. you'll do great. if she is realy excited and energetic at school today though, an idea would be to give he a realy thorough exercise before class starts next time, that way she wont have any extra built up energy that needs spent. have fun today! let us know how she did. ;D
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline heidismom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 12:16:45 am »
thanks all..she is not a puppy though, i got her from the shelter so she is over 1 1/2 year old now, and doesn't seem to have been socialized the best to other dogs..she has made several doggy friends in the neighborhood, but if she sees a dog she doesn't know she throws a hissy-that's really the part i'm worried about

Offline heidismom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 07:14:58 pm »
well,that was pretty much a fiasco.  within two minutes of walking in the door they had me put a gentle leader on her (should have brought mine but i was really hoping this class would eventually allow us not to use it) and put us behind a blind in the corner, and she STILL spent most of the class barking and freaking out.  she was the only dog in the class that was anywhere near that wild.  oh i wish i could get my hands on whoever had her before she went to the shelter, clearly this isn't entirely normal.  by the last fifteen minutes or so she finally calmed down a little, and the trainers seem very nice and patient, but oh god that was a long hour.  hopefully next week will be better

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 07:46:01 pm »
I'm sorry school didn't go as you hoped but I think most of us have stories to tell about our babies -

I personally am an school failure with my dogs - I had a norweign elkhound who was sooo stubborn she wouldn't do anything!

Then Stoli my springer was hyper hyper hyper

and Harley is my flatcoated retriever well he mounted everything - from dogs to people to telephone polls, to the cones that you are supposed to do your figure eight on!!  When we started doing off lead work and agility he would do his routine cross the finish line and mount any dog he could find big - little - male - female didn't matter people were probably soooo glad when we left the class!!

Best of luck with you doggy - I'm sure with love and training you will have a great dog

Offline heidismom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 08:27:09 pm »
yeah, it's just my bad luck that all the other dogs in this particular class are so well behaved..it sucks having the psycho dog that has to be put in a corner...but counting my blessings, at least she didn't poop or pee on the floor, and continued her streak of being totally friendly and interested in every human being who approaches her. hopefully things will get better with time, though, since her hissy fits about other dogs are the main reason we're in class in the first place.  thanks for the encouragement, it helps a lot

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 06:17:41 am »
I'm sorry to hear class was not to great. If things are not better next week I suggest taking a few privates then after you have some control over her and can keep her attention return to group classes. Having a reactive dog is not easy.

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 07:05:48 am »
sorry to hear class wasnt so great. i actually just got home from what was supposed to be my pups 3rd class today. she only got to make it to the first class then her HOD acted up so bad she couldnt make it to the second or this one. we decided to pull her out. luckily they gave us a full refund and told us not to worry about taking the puppy class and to just enroll her when she gets better in either the beginner or intermediate class.
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 09:49:36 am »
I'm sorry that class didn't go the way you were hoping.  I started taking Kaila to socialization classes because she was having dominance issues with Cinder here at the house.  Unfortunately work and some personal issues have made me miss the last 3 weeks so I need to get her back in them.  I hope things go better for you at the next class.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline heidismom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 05:43:30 am »
well, this week went a lot better.  she didn't bark nearly as much and she did a very good job of paying attention to me and not so much to the other dogs, i'm so proud!  next week they are having us come early so i can work with her awhile before all the other pooches show up, i am looking forward to her having the opportunity to show off what a smart girl she is (when she's not being psycho)=)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 02:16:54 pm »
Congratulation s!  I think it's great that you are taking her to the classes and that things are looking up!   ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 11:26:38 pm »
Haha, poor you! I'm glad she was much better by the next class..it sounds like she's making nice improvements! I'm going to be taking the 2 of mine to class here soon, as soon as I can find out when they can start. They are just 7 months old but like you, I have the same worries about my male acting like a big dork and freaking out at the other dogs, since he does everytime he sees one (unless it's a small dog). I hope he isn't sent to a corner too lol.

Glad things are looking up for you!

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 01:49:05 am »
that's great! she'll get the hang of things. now that she's got family and trainers who care it's all  just a matter of time and patience :D i know how frustrating it is not knowing what happened to her to make her react the way she does. but it sounds like she's on the right track now. good job you 2.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown