Author Topic: Does the weather affect a dog's joints?  (Read 1883 times)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Does the weather affect a dog's joints?
« on: July 19, 2005, 08:09:13 pm »
You know how in the movies you see old guys in the country who say things like 'there's a storm a brewin', I can feel it in my bones'. I always thought that was a joke. But ever since I tore my knee cartilage a few years ago and had surgery, I actually can feel changes in the weather in my knee. My doctor told me it was because of changes in barometric pressure.

So anyways, I was just sitting here thinking about how my knee is killing me because of the storm in town today. And then I was thinking 'do zoey's joints hurt too?'. Like a lot of big dogs she has bad hips, and I am wondering if the weather is making her hips hurt the way my knee hurts (I hope it doesn't).

Does anyone here know enough about animal anatomy to tell me if her cartilage would act the same as a humans? Has anyone noticed a change in the amount of joint pain their pet displays in certain weather?

These are the things I think about. I am such a worry wart.
RIP former BPO

GR8DAME

Re: Does the weather affect a dog's joints?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 08:21:52 am »
My older dobies have all had arthritis to varying degrees, and they were definetly stiffer and moved more gingerly in the Chicago winter than in the summer, or during high humidity.  Raven is freaked out by storms, and I can tell by the way she acts if there is a storm on the way, even if it is sunny and not a cloud in the sky. The weatherman may say clear skies, but if Raven is hiding under the endtable in the corner, it will rain/snow within the next three hours or so.
Stella