Author Topic: Did anyone hear about Oprah's Golden retreiver ? What a shame....be careful  (Read 1833 times)

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
Hello Everyone,

I haven't been on BPO in such a long time but, I hope all of you, yours & your pups are all doing well.

I just read the article about Oprah's poor little Golden named Gracie.  Apparently the dog had choked to death on a small plastic ball that was one of her Cocker spaniels' toys.  What a shame.  Gracie had just turned 2 the end of May.  Between this tragedy & the article I read about the Newfie choking on a tennis ball, I am definitely only going to buy the extra large tennis balls from now on for our pups.  It makes me worry to think that stuff like this happens so quickly & tragically.  The article is on Oprah's web site if anyone is interested in reading about.  Please be careful & check your dog's toys to help prevent a tragedy like this.

Keep well.

Anita & the 4 Newfies from NJ

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
I have heard a few stories about big dogs choking on tennis balls too...I use the larger ones, or other large toys too.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
I read this recently on CNN (I think) and it's so tragic.  We think of small toys posing a choking hazard for our skin kids, but sadly it can and does happen to our furry kids, too.   :'(  I thought that I was also very careful, but not an hour ago Sammy came into the living room with something in his mouth.  We made him drop it and sure enough, he had one of the kids' toys that is disc shaped (flat & circular) and about and inch and a half in diameter in his mouth.  Yikes!  :o  I had the kids check over the playroom for anything else left out, just in case.  It's enough to give me (more) gray hairs!  I feel so badly for Oprah.  RIP sweet Gracie!   :'(
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Icerotti

That is so sad. Poor girl.

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
ya i heard about this on the news, it's sad, she was so adorable too. and was the closest to oprah of the 3 :( she realy loves her dogs too. i bet she's having a tough time right now.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown