Author Topic: Afraid of the rain and wind  (Read 6488 times)

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
Afraid of the rain and wind
« on: July 20, 2007, 03:03:28 am »
Any one else's pups afraid of the rain?  IF it  is  just  spitting a little  we have a hard time  getting  zeus outside.  LAst night it  started spitting and the poor guy  freaked right out howling at the door to let him in. For potting in the rain I end up having to run out with him and stand tin the rain  just to get him to go pee.  He woudl  seriously hold it in if we didnt take him  out.
He is also afraid of the wind!!!
Any one else's pups afraid of Rain and wind?
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline cynsheis

• Ankle Biter
  • KD baby
    • View Profile
    • KD the Cane Corso
Re: Afraid of the rain and wind
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 04:13:58 am »
Razz the fearless hates the noise that normally comes along with the rain here. We resuced him from the pound and he came this neurotic. He also has piccia which is a whole other story. But he is older and I dont worry too much, he can "hold it" during a storm  ;)

Our baby KD (picture above) has been pretty good about the rain and noise. Some times if it is just drizzling I will take out her fave toy to chase (empty gallon milk jug) and throw it for her. She hesitates but cant resist chasing it down, rain or not.

Keep telling your pup it is ok, be encouraging and keep a happy voice, try to make it fun. You may have to get wet now, but in the long run it will be worth it..

cyn
KD - Cane Corso
Razz - Melinois mix
Lobo - Little paw chichi

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 04:24:48 am »
Razz the fearless hates the noise that normally comes along with the rain here. We resuced him from the pound and he came this neurotic. He also has piccia which is a whole other story. But he is older and I dont worry too much, he can "hold it" during a storm  ;)

Our baby KD (picture above) has been pretty good about the rain and noise. Some times if it is just drizzling I will take out her fave toy to chase (empty gallon milk jug) and throw it for her. She hesitates but cant resist chasing it down, rain or not.

Keep telling your pup it is ok, be encouraging and keep a happy voice, try to make it fun. You may have to get wet now, but in the long run it will be worth it..

cyn

Thanks  for the advice. He hates water  its just  terrible  Seriously  if he didnt  get  thurst  he probley  wouldnt  even  dip his nose in the water.
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline Jas2Cats

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All my babies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 08:47:52 am »
Well, Maple is made of sugar, so she melts if she gets rained on, or sprinklered on LOL  Of course, she swims with no problem (what a whacko?)  She doesn't like thunder or lightning, and will growl at it, like she's telling it to go away.

Woody couldn't care less about rain.  He doesn't like thunder, I think it sets off his eppilepsy.  He'll get really nervous and try to hide/cuddle with me :)
Alyce

Woody  (aka Big Dog) (12 1/2) Shorthaired Laberaimer (1/2 German Shorthair, 1/4 Lab, 1/4 Weimaraimer)
Maple (aka Princess Poo) (7 1/2) Boxer/ GS mix
Fuzzy (15 1/2)long haired tabby cat
Trouble & Double 3 1/2 year old African Leopard Tortoises.
Ed (17+) and Cris (13+) skin kids

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 08:53:04 am »
cyn

I disagree with saying "ok" because I think it is saying it's ok to be scared, it's ok to not like the rain.

I have always been more along the lines of YAYA it's water!!! Woohoooo what is that?!?! Let's go outside?!?! Wanna treat, come follow me in the rain!!!! I try to make it as fun as possible.

Gweck and Beans both are not rain fans BUT they LOVE water. If they had the choice, they would not go out in the rain but I take them if it's time for them and they will go to the bathroom. Take em to the beach and I can't get them to come in! hahaha

Ill try that  next time it rains hopefully it will work, There is no rain in  the forecast for the next  couple  days but  yet again the weather amn is usualy wrong lol
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 09:14:30 am »
well since we havent got our fence up yet i go out with each one every time no matter what :) i dont mind...except for last week i wasnt watching where i was going and the sprinkler got me right in the stomach at about 5 in the morning ::)
i would do what julie suggests. boog is afraid of loud noises, and so is max but if you get all excited about the noise and curious with him "oh what's that!! what is that good boy?! lets go see!" then their tail will start to wag..however slowly, it takes practice like every thing else. but the more they are used to it the less of a big deal it will be.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline cynsheis

• Ankle Biter
  • KD baby
    • View Profile
    • KD the Cane Corso
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 02:49:16 pm »
Well, Maple is made of sugar, so she melts if she gets rained on, or sprinklered on LOL 

Heeehehehehee, this made me laugh...
Maple was named properly!
KD - Cane Corso
Razz - Melinois mix
Lobo - Little paw chichi