Author Topic: One more thought on Koji's midget legs...  (Read 8574 times)

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
One more thought on Koji's midget legs...
« on: July 21, 2007, 08:05:14 pm »
As a few of you know, I have been alarmed at the rate at which my Aussie/Berner pups legs are (not) growing relative to his body, head, tail and feet! So, aside from the "sneaky basset" theory  :o I have one other question. I know that Koji's litter was turned over by a breeder (as it was an oops between the breeder's female aussie and male berner) to a rescue. The breeder gave up the litter way way early, like right away, so they were bottle fed. Is there any difference in puppy growth when the pups are bottle fed vs. mommy dog fed? Or, at least, is there more likely to be growth stunting or problems in that scenario? I've been looking up dwarfism stuff, but my husband thinks I'm nuts. He thinks Koji's legs will catch up later. I think Koji is a permanent Tootsie Roll and I'm trying to reconcile myself with that! His paws are certainly bigger than my greyhounds or my aussie/boxer's, so he's still a "big paw" of sorts, I guess. ???
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
Re: One more thought on Koji's midget legs...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 08:21:23 pm »
I'm not an expert, but I presume, dwarfism is not your case.

Dwarf puppies as far as I had seen them, usually grow much slower than littermates, and IF your baby would be dwarf, he would be at least only a half size of other pups from the litter, including paws. So far seems that his paws are huge, so no, by my opinion not a dwarf there.

bottle feeding soemehow may upset the pup's development, but again - not reduce legs :) Bottle fed pups usually have voulnerable immune system, more exposed to illnesses, but in general - no, they grow normally and that's it.

So a) be optimistic and wait for a growth spurt when your baby suddenly will get the legs, or - b) ask where that Basset has gone :)

But if seriously - they do have silly growth spurts and one time they are all legs with small head, then next is big nose and way too long tail and you wonder if this monster ever will grow into what he is supposed to and so on....

The main thing - do not worry anymore! I suspect that there is nothing that you must or you can do - just keep an eye on him growing, but let mother Natue sort it out! He is beautiful anyway, isn't he?

http://ozolkalni.blogspot.com/
Come and pat Grace athttp://en.uniteddogs.com/dog/16498

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 08:36:24 pm »
Thank you! And yes, he's a doll - mutant or no! He's a great pup and has fit right in to our family.  ;D
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Kai - Aussie/Dobie

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 11:12:02 pm »
OK first off...I laughed my rear off at your title of this thread "midget legs" !!!! Secomdly...I think his little legs give him character. :) It will be fun to see pictures of him as he grows... i suspect that that breeder had a basset or maybe a corgie or something "stubby" in the mix though. ;)
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 06:02:51 am »
well bassett hounds have realy big thick feet, and honestly, IMHO his legs look bassett all the way (i think they are adorable)
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 09:33:52 am »
His legs DO look exactly Basset like to me too, only black..how weird! He is too cute for words and so unique looking. It just adds mystery. ;) BTW, I cracked up at the tootsie roll comment personally. :D :D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 09:34:39 am by mama2many »

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 10:00:35 am »
Well, he certainly is a cutie, whatever the length of his legs.

One question here though.  Are you sure of his parentage?  I'm only asking b/c he's mostly black and short haired, and aussies and berners are neither.  I mean berners have black in them and aussies can too, but not in the amounts Koji is.  I'm wondering if there was more than one father for the litter, or the berner wasn't the father at all.

Whatever the case, I love his face.  He seems to be a very happy pup.  How old is he?

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 07:05:08 pm »
Well, I'm as sure as I can be of the parentage. I got Koji from a rescue, Georgeanne's Homeless Hounds, in Brookesville Florida. All I really have is her word. I have even called her back and asked her if she was sure about the parentage. She swore up and down with absolute certainty that the breeder she got the litter from ONLY breeds aussies and berners, and there's no question. But really, all I have is her word, and I don't personally know her. I was able to find pics onling of all black aussies, but certainly not berners! It's a bit mysterious! The story behind how and why we got Koji is kind of long and would be boring to anyone but us, I think. He's 17 weeks old now, and is super smart, laid back, and very sweet. His nickname around here is "The Fatness", and I wonder if his belly weren't so big if maybe his legs would look longer! He's growing well and gaining about 2 pounds a week. He's 23 pounds as of a couple days ago. His legs look a bit longer than when I took the photo in the avatar, but he may not end up being the leggiest pup on the planet! I'm curious to see what he ends up looking like, that's for sure! Oh, btw, it doesn't show in the pic, but his hair is kind of medium long and wavy on his back.
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Kai - Aussie/Dobie