Author Topic: anyone know Grand Paw Newf farm?  (Read 4256 times)

Offline kpatton

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
anyone know Grand Paw Newf farm?
« on: July 22, 2007, 08:31:22 pm »
We are about to buy our first family puppy - from Grand Paws Newf Farm in Michigan. But I am leary of shipping a dog I havent' met, but Newfs are so hard to find close by. Website has nice pics, breeder says all the right things, but one never knows.... Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with these folks?
Thanks!

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: anyone know Grand Paw Newf farm?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 07:01:31 am »
Hi kpatton and welcome!  I don't have any experience with  Newf breeders, we have a Golden mix, a Pyr and a Pyr mix.  Over the years, our dogs have come from breeders, rehoming or rescue and I learned something the hard way, I'm afraid, so I have a suggestion for you.  I have found that the breed rescue organizations know their local breeders inside & out, and they will know if the breeder is *really* reputable or not.  Since they rescue the homeless Newf's in your area, they will know which breeders are breeding healthy dogs, and who honors their word and rescues any dogs from their own breeding that are homeless.  If a breeder won't rescue their own dogs, then personally I would never buy a puppy from that breeder.  To me it indicates that breeder is in it for the money and not for the betterment of the breed, much less the love of the dogs.  I'd call the Newfoundland Club's rescue coordinator that is nearest this breeder that you are considering.  Here is a link to the Newf Club's Rescue and it should give you names and phone numbers to contact to check this out:

http://www.ncarescue.org/pages/rescuemap.html

I would ask the rescue contact about the breeder that your are considering and also I would ask them for a list of Newfy breeders that they recommend.  They may also be able to suggest a Newf breeder that is closer to you that you can go visit to meet the people and the dogs, see the facility and check out throughly before you decide to buy.  Another bonus is that if you find a local breeder that you like, then you'll have a local contact person for advice and suggestions as you raise your new baby. 

Please let us know what you decide.  I'm hoping for a healthy, sweet Newfy puppy for you, soon.   ;D

Modified to add:  I just re-read Tina's post and I wanted to clarify that I don't know the breeder that kpatton is asking about or any other Newf breeders for that matter.  My suggestions are only as a general idea of how to check out *any* breeder before you choose to buy a puppy.  So, I hope that it was ok to post this.....  :-\
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 07:06:55 am by GoldenPyrs »
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 10:53:09 am »
Thanks!  That was what I'd thought, so I wrote and posted, then I reread your post and wondered if I should've just PM-ed that suggestion to kpatton.  I don't like cat fights either.  There are plenty of nice things to say and nice pups to say them about!   ;)  ;D 

Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Lula The Goofy Newfie

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 12:23:16 am »
Did this person end up adopting from Grand Paws? I am from Michigan as well and am looking for a second Newfie.  Just wondering where the poster ended up.
Hills — Sir — and the Sundown — and a Dog — large as myself, that my Father bought me.

Emily Dickinson, responding to an acquaintance's question in a letter: "Who are your companions?" She went into reclusion when only 32, preferring her Newfoundland's company to that of humans.