Author Topic: Neighbor Question for Pyr or Other Owners  (Read 3773 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Neighbor Question for Pyr or Other Owners
« on: July 23, 2007, 08:09:32 am »
So, I was just curious if any of you have had puppies raised around the same neighbors and if so, once the dog was grown, what their attitude towards them was. Did I make that complicated? :P Basically this is why I'm wondering. We have some new neighbors that moved behind us a few weeks ago that have 2 small girls (4 and 6 I think) that adore the puppies. The adults seem to love them too. Whenever the adults are in the yard, they will come over and give the dogs pets and everything. Whenever the kids come out, which is generally unsupervised, they run straight to the fence to look for our dogs. If the dogs see them, they run straight to the kids and stand up on the fence to be petted. When hubby and I have talked about how they will be when grown, he seems to think the dogs will view them like us and not like intruders, but I really don't think so, seeing as they aren't part of their pack or their family. I can't see them really being protective of neighbors, at least that's not at all what I've read about the way Pyrs or other guarding type dogs do..but maybe it depends on every situation. I know they are just puppies now and they go to anyone for love but I think that will change eventually (especially when we aren't around). Tonight when their kids went out in the yard, I was watching through the window and the youngest again ran straight to the fence to call the dog, and she automatically puts her whole hand and arm through the fence to wait for them. I saw that and had to think hmm.. is that such a good idea? As they mature I mean? It just made me wonder and ask you guys what your experience has been with dogs that know your neighbors.

I know Pyrs are supposed to be excellent with kids..I also know they are supposed to be well socialized with them because they could also view them as a threat. Just didn't know if one day in conversation I should bring up maybe asking that their kids don't stick their hands and things through the fence. I'd like to think they'd never hurt a child or someone that wasn't a threat to us, but I know that dogs will be dogs. What's your opinion?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 08:11:54 am by mama2many »

Offline bhender254

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Neighbor Question for Pyr or Other Owners
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 10:28:34 am »
Our Pyrs have been raised around the neighbors kids and dogs. They will bark to say come pet me, or bark to let us know one of the kids is doing something they shouldn't be or their dogs are out of the yard. They even bark when a new car pulls into the neighbors driveway. They look at them as an extension of their pack.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 11:47:54 am »
Our Pyrs have been raised around the neighbors kids and dogs. They will bark to say come pet me, or bark to let us know one of the kids is doing something they shouldn't be or their dogs are out of the yard. They even bark when a new car pulls into the neighbors driveway. They look at them as an extension of their pack.

That's just what I was about to say Kristina.  Ours have always particularly loved kids of all sizes regardless of whether or not they already knew the kids.  A child that they've been around regularly they will treat like one of our kids and protect them in the same way.  If a child is a stranger to them, ours will still be extremely friendly with them.  I'm sure that each dog differs, but our's have never been a problem with kids at all.  I would encourage the neighbor kids to pet & love on the puppies now and I'm quite certain that you'll have no problem later on, especially since Yukon & Yiska have kids of "their own" so they're so kid friendly already.  You may want to encourage the adults to also pet the dogs now, so that they'll bond with them and be friendly to the neighbors as they grow into their guardian instincts.  One thing though, if the dogs ever see someone in the neighbor's yard rough housing with those kids, don't be surprised if Yukon & Yiska start to bark an alarm b/c they think that "their kids" are being harmed.   ;)  ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 12:22:11 pm »
they will see the neighbors as friends of the pack, in other words people who they recognise, and are not strangers. it sounds like they like them, so i would expect a good relationship between the neighboring family and the dogs. they are not part of the pack and the dogs know it. but they are part of the every day community your dogs come incontact with. dogs know the difference between family and friends, and that's how they will see it, im sure. i would encourage a good relationship, it will give your dogs that much more social knowhow. always under moms watchfull eye of course. and im sure the childrens parents wouldnt let them play with huge dogs if they didnt know how to treat them. but i could be wrong.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 09:41:45 pm »
Okay thank you. I really didn't know what to expect. The kids seem to be really loving to them and when the dogs have had enough they just run off and play with eachother again. They are funny in how they love attention yet when they are done, they are done ..kinda like cats. ::) The neighbors have never once seemed intimidated by the dogs or seem concerned the kids are out in the yard and at the fence with our dogs when neither we or them are outside, so who knows. They also have 2 mini Aussies that are outside a lot and I think our dogs like them even more than the kids haha.

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 12:13:14 am »
wow i wish i had neighbors like that! mine...well... .i wont go there ::)
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 02:15:18 am »
Rasputin will chase adults while barking, especially ones that he doesnt know, but get him around kids (3-12) and he goes crazy!!!! Loves the crap out of them.  Any child can walk right up to him and pull on his ears or lay on him like the rug he is, and there are no problems.  If an adult he doesnt know tries the same shanagins, its a no go.  I have to socialize him with every adult that comes into the house, but not the kids...go figure.