Author Topic: boog's too nutzy*  (Read 6340 times)

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
boog's too nutzy*
« on: July 24, 2007, 08:16:07 am »
hubby and I have been so supprised that Boog is turning out to be a dominant dog! he was the runt' of the litter and i would've never thought. so i have a question to ask. if we got him neutered now ( i think he's 12 weeks) would it make a difference in his behavior already? or does neutering only effect the behavior after 6 months old or so. Max and Chevy are both neutered, and boog always seems to have his teeth out when he's around them. ive tried squirting vinegar in his mouth when he uses his teeth. and he hates it but will go right back and do it again ::) so i was wondering if it would make a difference even though he's this little. just wondering...
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: boog's too nutzy*
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 08:57:13 am »
Is Boog just puppy mouthing and chewing on his brothers or does it look more like he's being aggressive?  How do his brothers react to this?  If they're still patient with him then they may just be giving him slack while he's under the puppy passport.

When Halley was a puppy, she drove Daisy nuts with the chewing and mouthing.  With time, training and Daisy finally putting her paw down and letting Halley know that it had better stop, it did.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 08:38:50 pm »
I would also highly recommend getting him a kong (and Max and Chevy) and filling it with peanut butter and freezing it. Get a rope toy, get it wet and freeze it. Don't forget teething is painful and he's also look for something to soothe it. Everytime Gweck bit us when he was teething we just grabbed a toy and shoved it in his mouth. Also bully sticks are great for teething and for older dogs.

Good luck!

Freezing a rope toy for teething is a great idea!  I'd never heard of that one before and now it's getting tucked away in my mind for "future reference", thanks Julie.   ;)  ;D   BTW, I wanted to second the frozen PB in Kongs.  They love it and it keeps them happily occupied for quite a while.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 07:02:42 pm »
thanks for all the advice, maybe posting in the middle of the night isnt the best idea :-\. let me give more info. i know about the puppy teething stage, and what to expect and have experience with it, and boog is teething, and does act like a teething puppy, and i expect nothing less. but what im talking about, is agression. ill give 2 examples...whe n he went in for his shots at the vets, he tried to bite the vet durring his exam. not play bite, and his body language was very tense. boog also tries to "attack i guess?" when he's given a bath, i only gave him one once since the experience was so bad, but by the time i was done washing him both my hands were bloody! NOT kidding! i definatly know what to expect with puppy behavior and such, what im talking about is not. ive been holding him down every day for dominance, and he's slowwwly struggling less over the days i am seeing improvement. im not refering to the carpet and windowsill chewing, and everything else chewing...haha . he has also shown agression (not play) toward max. you know when dogs fight they make the RAARRRR RARRRR RAR noise? boog does that at least four times a week, when he gets mad at max. he's such a sweet little lovie, id like to fix this other attitude that he has before he gets any bigger. as far as the kong i dont have one, but ill get one next time im at the store, and ive been freezing rope toys for years! it is something they all love to play with. i use strict NILF with all 3 of the boys, and boog does do training. he does very good, hes a smart little guy, so is max,....chevy's a little slower though  :D. boog can do sit, stay, come, and knows his 'go get em' command to eat dinner.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 07:07:19 pm »
look at that face guys :-*.... i cant let him down!
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 12:49:46 am »
bump...
anybody???
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 12:51:31 am by Duramax »
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 05:19:52 am »
thanks Jenn, that's good to know, like I said, Max was prabably too easy, and i got spoiled ::) and wow i wish i would have posted this earlier, ive never heard that holding them on their side can be bad. :-\ all ive ever heard was the plusses about it. good to know!! darnit I should have asked about it earlier. :(
well....onward and upward from here!
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog