Author Topic: Pyr's to be euthanized in Kentucky. Can anyone help??  (Read 36840 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Pyr's to be euthanized in Kentucky. Can anyone help??
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2005, 07:58:34 am »
I understand your uncertainy about Ranger. :) Don't get yourself in over your head even if your heart is in the right place!!!...Just let us know what's going on so we can make sure he gets to a good place whether that is with you or somewhere else. :)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2005, 08:53:50 am »
Thanks Gypsy! I know everyone is really pumped to rescue this guy, but I am having a reality check!!
Here's the scoop I just got from the shelter:
He has never had any shots. He is not neutered. He hasn't been on heartworm prevention. He's not housebroken, he has lived outside his whole life. Although he loves kids and other animals, his owners surrendered him because he "wasn't working out".
GGGGRRRRRR>>>>>>
The $65 adoption fee (no discount for a rescue group) includes neuter, rabies, 1st distemper, 1st deworming, and a heartworm test. He'll need a distemper booster and 2nd deworming, and some heartgard (assuming his test is negative) and some flea control.
Holy cow who is going to pay for all of that!!! My friends in rescue aren't ready to take on another dog, funds are tight. I'm waiting on a response from the pyr rescue group.

So if knowing all that, someone can think of a good place for him to go in a few days, I can still pick him up. Also, the receptionist stated again that a bunch of rescue groups keep calling about the pyrs. She gave me someone to contact to get the inside scoop, maybe the same guy Nina talked to? I am more inclined to let another rescue group get him who can actually pay for all his needs.
What do you guys think about all this???

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2005, 09:05:33 am »
I emailed vinny dog and she said that the no kill shelter in wisconsin will take him, just need to get him to Illinois. The shelter would have taken all three. So that is an option just need to get him to Illinois. When I was speaking(emailing) with Joe, he's a volunteer with the shelter that Ranger is in, he said that Ranger is used to the routine that they have the dogs in. He will go outside do his business and wait by the gate to come in. Its obvious that his pervious owners did not want to take the time to train him! Seems to me that he is perfectly trainable, Pyrs are very smart dogs, Dilbert new how to sit at 2 months and that only took 15 mins to teach. Think how easy it will be to teach Ranger. Joe did tell me that he is create trained, they do this will all the dogs so that is is easier on the new parents.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2005, 09:16:22 am »
Ok. It's good to know there is a place for him in Illinois, just a matter of getting him there. How hard could that be??  ;)   I can probably arrange to go pick him up tomorrow, but then I'd be bringing him back down south with me if I took him home...(wrong direction!)
But that is fantastic news about him being crate trained! If he fits in my crate!
Alright, I feel better about everything now.
Oh wait, he has to be neutered before I pick him up. I don't know how fast they can have that done. Monday maybe?
Alright, I need to actually work for a little while today, so I am going to do that and let this all sink in for a few hours.
Whew!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2005, 09:19:44 am »
Alright so I'll let vinney dog know!!! I feel much better now.
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2005, 11:00:54 am »
Alright folks, it's under way. We did an over-the-phone adoption application, (and somehow I passed!) he'll get neutered on Monday (same day as Nigel incidentally) and I will pick him up on Tuesday. Pray he doesn't have kennel cough, because then he won't be able to get neutered, and boy will that complicate things!
So on Tuesday, boy you better expect lots of pictures!
So I could sure use help with the $65 adoption fee if anyone is still willing to assist. Once he is safe with me we can figure out how to get him to Illinois!  :o
Apparently they are going to do a health check on him and I'll find out his Heartworm status. Hopefully he has a clean bill of health! Please please please!!!
And I never did find out how big he is. Well, I'll find out Tuesday when I load him up in my car!
Ahhh, adventures. I'll bring my camera and photojournaliz e the rescue mission!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2005, 11:05:38 am »
Beth filled out an application and she is willing to pick him up in  Illinois, can you some how pick him up on Tuesday and get him there and she will take him home??
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline Viney Dog

• Ankle Biter
  • Raisa-Beautiful.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2005, 11:19:44 am »
Doghealer..... please let me know about the adoption and confirm if you were the one who completed the phone application this morning for the shelter, as they did not give me a name. I will be more than happy to reimburse you for the adoption fees, no problem.  Are you sure you do not want to keep this beaty?  Please advise as to what you would like to do.  If you would like him to go to Wisconsin, and you would like to meet somewhere, please advise as to when and where and I will make the arrangements.  The shelter did confirm to me he would be neutered on Monday, etc and ready to be picked up on Tuesday.  Please advise and I will make whatever arrangements work best for you.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2005, 11:19:54 am »
For everyone who has been watching this post, this email is awesome! It's from the guy who works at the Glasgow shelter, written to me after my application was accepted...

"You're wonderful!  I just talked with Linda Kuhn at
the shelter and she is almost in tears now that ALL THREE
of these big wonderful dogs are safe.   I tried and tried to
call the shelter this morning and it is always busy - just one
line.  The response from the internet folks has been more
than tremendous.  I have been at this for 5 years and have
NEVER had so much activity and seen people try so hard!
Again my heartfelt thanks!!!!!
>>Joe<<"

WOOHOO! BPO RULES!!!

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2005, 03:34:08 pm »
For the beautiful conclusion of this story, see the topic Ranger's Rescue!! YAY!!!
Oh and here is another email from the guy at the shelter...
this sums it up!

"Let me start this message by simply saying that I am proud to walk among
you. I am almost tearful as I tell each of you that Bernice and Opal go into
Rescue via a gentleman at Campbellsville, KY.  We will open the shelter Sunday
afternoon and meet him there.  They are safe.
One of you delightful people are taking Ranger, the collie/Pyr mix and a
wonderful fellow - probably my favorite of the three as he is not quite as aloof.
I have been in dog rescue and foster for 12 years now and since my
retirement in July 2000 have worked closely with BRAWA shelter in Glasgow, KY.  In
those years I have posted a number of appeals to help wonderful pets and most have
saved that pet's life.  Usually there are two or three responses and one or
two are willing to work with me, the other is usually a comment that it looks
more like a cocker spaniel to them than a Saint Bernard... ;-)    Not to offend anyone
but at the shelter here they call me "Mr. Shindler"  after the "Shindler's List"
  movie. So I've been around for a while, doing most of this shelter's Petfinder
postings.
In all my years I have NEVER had such a helpful, good-natured, willing and
selflesss explosion of helpful emails.  The shelter had to ask for Volunteers to man
their telephone line as concerned Great Pyrenees lovers lined up for info.  The
fact that email is done from volunteer homes rather than the shelter where the
action is causes delays in responses.  I call the shelter for updates and
then respond.  For those of you that waited, I apologize as I couldn't get thru
to get info either <smile>.  Annoying?  No!   With your gracious help we saved
3 lives for 3 wonderful dogs that can't help being big dogs.    Big dogs
take up more precious shelter space so they are the first to be euthanized when
space gets tight - and it is  VERY tight.
The three dogs are safe.  I learned a lot about the breed from you.  I knew
relatively nothing about Great Pyrs  and, would you believe, the Akbash
folks were extremely helpful in my education as well.

Since there was a call for volunteers at the shelter to man the phone and
the volunteer turnout was good  I will also report that all three big dogs
have been groomed  and now they look great!   Bernice is more the people
dog while Opal is aloof, however even Opal enjoyed the grooming I am told.
Ranger just loves having people around, he don't care what they do as long
as he is in the middle of it.

I've taken your email addresses from a multitude of recent emails and if, in
scanning over the header, you don't know each other, you really should
meet, at least by email if not personally.  EVERY ONE OF YOU have helped
in one way or another, some of you have lived thru this "torture" of knowing
that three dogs were going to die - and soon- with me.  God Bless you all
for your kindness.  This from me    and  from three, now safe, big dogs.

Joe Taylor   from  BRAWA,  Glasgow, KY
www.brawa.petf inder.org"

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2005, 04:39:06 pm »
I am crying big fat tears of joy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...That's the 2nd time today...but earlier it was for the loss of a beautiful & corageous Pyr that my Arwen's breeder lost...I have to quit coming here...lol...l ol!!!...I feel SO good about all of this!!!...I can't wait until we are able to start the B.P.O. rescue!!!!!...I AM SSSSSSSSSOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOO IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline sobe

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2005, 05:03:28 pm »
I have only been a member of this board for a little while and am very proud of you guys' efforts, and more importantly the results !  3 Great Pyrs have been saved thanks to your efforts.
Seeing these dogs made me so sad , one feels so helpless being far away and wondering what to do to help. Well, you guys didn't wonder, you stepped in and saved these babies ! 
I can't wait to see Ranger pics and wish the other two a life full of love and treats !
You guys ROCK!

Offline TwoNewfies

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2005, 06:21:34 pm »
I've been following this post and have to say you guys are the bomb!  I am so proud of each of you and the committment, passion, drive and compassion you have to saving these babies!  It makes me so happy and it just warms my heart, not to sound cheesy or anything.  You should all be so proud of yourselves.  I think this shows that each of us can make a valuable contribution to the BPO Resuce!!
Count me in! 
Gina

All dogs are pets.  Newfoundlands are family!

Offline Demi

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2005, 01:09:47 pm »
I came back to find out that what I started here has turned into a miracle!!!! I am crying so hard I can barely see the screen, but I have to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart for saving these wonderful furbabies!!  When I saw the original posting for these dogs on another site, I was heartsick knowing that I'm in Florida and didn't think there was anything I could really do to make a difference.  How silly of me!  Just posting for help on Big Paws proved that there are many Angels among us willing to save the lives of the one's they can.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!  

Demi
With every moment, you have the opportunity to change things...

Offline jp111949

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2005, 02:45:54 pm »
Are the pyr's in Kentucky being helped? I am in Arizona but we have a really good pyr rescue group here. If you need any more help give me the details and I will forward it to them.