Author Topic: UGH- need to vent  (Read 5738 times)

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
UGH- need to vent
« on: July 17, 2007, 12:07:50 pm »
about 3 years ago, we made friends with these nice people. who were at that time, a couple. they had a shep/pitty mix and some other husky mix maybe? we had doggy play dates and hung out ALOT. well... they broke up. and we moved away. i still keep in touch with the girl, but not with the guy. but occasionally he will MSG me on MSN.
anyway, about a year ago, i got a msg from him saying he just paid 1500 for a bullmastiff! how cool!  he had no pix or anything to show me (we live kinda far from eachother so never see eachother anyway). anywho- today he comes online and says "I got a pic of my pup for you" so he sends me two or three pics. and says "we're gonna get a female.." and i ask "is he neutered" he said "No" I said, after seeing the pictures, "You're not going to breed them i hope" he said "Why not" I said "well, as nice as this boy is. he is by far not to standard" and hes all going on about coloring etc. i said no. so i proceeded to send him some info on the bullmastiff standard. he says "well it doesnt matter, hes not registered so im not going to show him"  Then he says "i will be keeping ALL the puppies for myself" i said "what if they have like 11 puppies" He didnt say anything... so i keep sending him tidbits on the standard. he got SO upset with me said "Well, i like my dog, i love the breed. im going to breed him. Good bye" and either blocked me, or got offline... now i know it does sound harsh, me telling him the way i did. but hes one of those people who if u dont tell him right to the point, he'd be lost for days!  So, now, im going to guess he WILL Do as he pleases. and i really  hope nothing for the best, but it still really ticks me off. I didnt even get to question him about "what happens if the mom needs to have C section? Or if the mom dies durring birth? Or..." U KNOW? i really hate when people think of dogs as puppy making machines. i mean, i do alot of work with dogs, training, learning, showing... and it just rattles  my chain...
Sorry, had to vent.
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: UGH- need to vent
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 12:28:49 pm »
If he paid $1500 for the male I would think he got him from a reputable or somewhat reputable breeder, so if you know where he got him you might want to give a heads up to that breeder or any breeders in his area. Phelan is on a non-breeding contract (and neutered ;D) but there is still a clause that states if I were to breed him that they retain some rights to the puppies (I will find it for you later)ie. They get choice pup and perhaps some of the money from sales... I imagine if he gets a female the same would go for her as well. I hope he at least plans on allowing the female to get to an age that it would be appropriate to breed. The trouble of keeping them apart that long may change his mind about breeding.
I really don't understand how people "love the breed" but want to just breed any two dogs, it's very upsetting. Perhaps you should send him pictures of dogs that aren't standard so he can see the possible outcomes.
I can definately understand your anger.

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 12:52:15 pm »
Unfortunately, as we all know, people will breed just for the money and say it's for the love of the breed!  If he paid $1500 for an unregistered male, he's probably seeing dollar signs but didn't want to say anything after you told him the dog wasn't within standard.  That drives my mom crazy too, she tells people all about the standard, etc and they look at her like she's lost her mind because most of them don't even know what "the standard" means!  Weims are her breed of choice and before Shade died she was looking at some pup sites and was infuriated when some of the sites were advertising the dark grey color as if it was acceptable.  She thought OK I haven't been in the showing/breeding arena in awhile so she looked up the standard, and the only recognized shade is still the soft grey.  I can't even tell you how many emails she sent off to these "breeders"!!  Hopefully your friend will rethink his plan, or at least research a bit more!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 01:01:27 pm »
I think that it's great that you tried, but I agree with everyone, if all he's seeing is $$ signs and he has no ethics, usually nothing that the rest of us is going to say is going to get through, but you can try and I'm so glad that you did!  Hopefully, it'll sink into his thick skull before he breeds the dogs.  People like that really tick me off, too!   >:(  ::)
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 01:07:00 pm »
well, all i know is he got the dog from someone who DOES NOT Register. so- that tells you ALOT. it was a so called "friend" of his who sold it to him too.
Thank you all for the comments. it really helps knowing that im TRYING and its not sinking in. and that more than few people try! UGH it just ticks me off soooo much
I know its def. not nice to say. but i really hope if he does breed, something will make him go "What the %@$# am i doing!? WHY did i start this? he is my age (so hes about 23)plans to BUY big land, with his girlfriend and 3 kids, and what? breed Bull Mastiffs for his own benifit? I just dont understand at all!? anyone get where im going. Soooo confused  ??? ??? ??? ???
im goin to bed. thinking too hard gives you wrinkles ;) heehee
Jo
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 09:57:48 pm »
My BIL is the same way. He called us a few years ago because he got a pair of "statfordshire bull terriers" from someone. He said these dogs usually sell for $1000...and I got this pair for $500...then he went and bought a second female. The dogs were not up to standard...and he knows NOTHING about breeding. He saw $$$. Well for some reason they didn't breed and the dogs were aggressive with his kids etc. so he sold them off. I don't understand it either.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 10:49:21 pm »
I am soooo with you Jo! And I have a story about my friend who doesn't see $$$

She has a nightmare silky terrier which she purchased from a puppy store. He has a very bad temperament and attacts her boyfriend all the time. He also has some knees problems which are genetic. Soooo, refuses to "fix" him because she wants to breed him and get a puppy for her aunt!!! How about that? Is there any logic? 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 10:50:29 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 06:58:58 am »
OMG does she not realize what she is doing by breeding her Terrier? It amazes me at what the almighty Dollar can do to  people. These people have no morals.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 07:40:17 am »
OMG does she not realize what she is doing by breeding her Terrier? It amazes me at what the almighty Dollar can do to  people. These people have no morals.

She does as I explained it to her billion times and it's been months and months and he is still not fixed  ??? And she doesn't care about the money at all. I am just hoping that she wont find any females to breed him...Who would want him?
Mary W. Crane

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 10:56:58 am »
hmmm, ya that would tork me too. we're looking into breeding boog later down the road, and breeding is a VERY TIME AND MONEY CONSUMING COMMITMENT that takes tons of patience and a crap load of knowledge. and lots of things can go wrong along the way even if you do every thing right, it's too bad that he wasnt willing to listen to you, he might sorely regret it down the road......
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 11:37:43 pm »
Oh, I forgot to mention that I have another friend who has a boxer and she wants to breed him "ones" because her boyfriend wants to see "how dogs do it"!!! Idiots!
Mary W. Crane

Offline heidismom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 12:22:25 am »
Oh, I forgot to mention that I have another friend who has a boxer and she wants to breed him "ones" because her boyfriend wants to see "how dogs do it"!!! Idiots!
wow.  y'know, there's probably something on the discovery channel or at least the internet for people who are into that sort of thing.  seriously, where do people get the idea that this is just an experiment or a hobby that has no responsibilite s or consequences? 

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 02:56:53 am »
wow.  y'know, there's probably something on the discovery channel or at least the internet for people who are into that sort of thing.  seriously, where do people get the idea that this is just an experiment or a hobby that has no responsibilite s or consequences? 
YOUTUBE IT ! hahaha

no all serious... I know how people are. We have a BYB of spaniels, Cocker/springer Mix. she sells them 100 each, with tails done. Anyway. she come to my yard, while i was outside with zero, jigs and reba, stood at the fence with her IN HEAT FEMALE. Ok. zero is INTACT! i told her, she is making zero crazy! she didnt listen. when zero finally calmed down. she asked me "Since zero is still 'all there' are you breeding him to the girl" I said, "No. I kept zero intact for showing purposes... to get jigsaw higher in shows (we have no BTs here other than my two) shes like "Well they are so gorgeous, i bet you can make a fortune off them" I said "well, IF we breed jigsaw, its to a CH health tested male, when she is over 2 years old and had all her testing done, and been shown. IF i breed her, all PET puppies will be spayed/neutered before going to new homes. The price of a bull terrier is approx 1000$...." And she said "WOW, you WOULD make alot off her."
OH MY GOD! people!
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 03:04:47 am »
YOUTUBE IT ! hahaha

no all serious... I know how people are. We have a BYB of spaniels, Cocker/springer Mix. she sells them 100 each, with tails done. Anyway. she come to my yard, while i was outside with zero, jigs and reba, stood at the fence with her IN HEAT FEMALE. Ok. zero is INTACT! i told her, she is making zero crazy! she didnt listen. when zero finally calmed down. she asked me "Since zero is still 'all there' are you breeding him to the girl" I said, "No. I kept zero intact for showing purposes... to get jigsaw higher in shows (we have no BTs here other than my two) shes like "Well they are so gorgeous, i bet you can make a fortune off them" I said "well, IF we breed jigsaw, its to a CH health tested male, when she is over 2 years old and had all her testing done, and been shown. IF i breed her, all PET puppies will be spayed/neutered before going to new homes. The price of a bull terrier is approx 1000$...." And she said "WOW, you WOULD make alot off her."
OH MY GOD! people!
Did you mention to her how much genetic and other tests cost? Not forgetting showing and training expenses!
Mary W. Crane

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 03:14:17 am »
oh i tried. i told her that the price of the male we have picked out was 2000! she said "WELL YOU SHOULD SEND YOUR BOY OUT FOR BREEDING" i said "uh no! hes got issues and he had heart problems. and he has OCD. i dont think so!!!"  ugh.
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo