Author Topic: Undergroung fencing  (Read 6223 times)

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Undergroung fencing
« on: July 26, 2007, 03:31:20 pm »
we are thinking of rescuing an young adult pyr. versus purchasing a puppy which we have put money down on.  I would love some feedback on what kind of succes people have had or have not had with underground fencing we currently have underground fencing which worked great with our Pyr mix who we lost suddenly to cancer a few weeks ago. :'(
The rescue groups are hesitant to adopt out to people with non visible fencing.

Thanks
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
Re: Undergroung fencing
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 04:53:55 pm »
Welcome to the board. You're going to love it here. I'm mom to 3 Pyrs.

If I'm not mistaken underground fencing requires a collar? Pyrs have such an urge to wlak their territoy that if they see something beyond that fence they will go and see what it is. I personally don't think the fencing would work on a purebreed Pyr. It's breed into them to wander and if you don't have a secure visible fence I can garantee your dog will be wandering.

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 04:57:00 pm »
Hey there and welcome to BPO ! I don't have a Pyr , but I do have experience with underground fencing , and while our's worked on our Newfie/Border Collie mix , it did NOT work with our Newfie girl , Allie , at all . She is just too stuborn and ran straight thru it every time . I've heard from other's that they've all had problems with invisible fencing and Giant Paws ....
Hope this helps !
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 05:44:05 pm »
Hi,

One thing on Invisible fences, they don't keep other dogs OUT and if yours does get through, they may not want to cross it to get back into your yard!!
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 06:07:34 pm »
I have a pretty visible 6ft privacy fence for Lily!
We were in CT once and she ran away, away, through someone’s invisible fence, yapped, kept running, turned around...ran through it again, yapped...and kept running! It seemed like it didn't bother her too much!
Gosh, with Pyrs willpower they can do anything they decide to do!!!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 12:33:49 am »
Lol poor Lily, that cracked me up though. :D I think too that invisible fencing wouldn't be the way to go with a Pyr from all I've read and heard. They need to have their own perimeters and I'm quite sure a zap would not hold a Pyr in that was trying to protect and guard..I would think it might make it a little crazy. It also wouldn't keep things out of your yard, correct? Which would be a major problem. Besides that, I've read and been told of their very high pain tolerance and that it simply won't work on them. My breeder warned me about those types of fences before I got my pups and made sure I had at least a 4 ft and then gave me tips to strengthen that as well, if ever the need be. Her Pyrs continually got out of their invisble fence when they tried it and ended up with bloody necks, but still got out.

Welcome to the group! I'm Kristina, mom to Yukon and Yiska who are brother and sister Pyrs- 7 months old. :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 12:35:32 am by mama2many »

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 01:04:24 am »
welcome to BPO! i dont have an underground fence, but ive heard of several complaints when using them with a large breed, from what ive heard they will go through the fence to get to their destination, but then cannot enter back in because they get shocked when they go near the fence line. and end up wandering around because they cannot reenter the yard.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

marypyrs

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 01:42:05 am »
Hi there and welcome. So sorry for your recent loss.

I'm Jane. Mom to Rainbow & Whisper (Pyrs).

A sturdy visible fence is always a requirement for Pyr Rescue and solidly advised for any and all Pyr People. These lovely bears are very strong willed and an invisible fence will just not do it. They cannot be trained to boundaries. Which is a part of who they are and have been for thousands of years. The guarding instinct is too great. And part of why we love them so much.

I really commend you for wanting to Rescue. Sure wish there were more out there. Perhaps you could start with a smaller fenced area and add on as time and such goes on. You can often find GOOD used chain link fencing that looks like new.

:D Again  :D Welcome!
(hope this isn't a double post. My computer is going wacky!)

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 03:01:33 am »
Boy with all these replies I am starting to reconsider this breed for us we just are not in the situation to fence in our yard it would be over $10,000 so a iron fence and that is the only thing that would look decent here we back up to a large pond and don't want to block the view.  our puppy will be ready to come on Aug. 6th and we have set up the pickup I was thinking that if we got her as a puppy we could train her on the fencing but it doesnt sound like so.  The breeder told me that they have heard that they work fine with the dogs.  I don't want to spend $700 on a pup and have this fail.  I am bummed about this.  I am glad I found this site to help me make a decision.  I welcome any feed back.

Becky
Becky

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 08:04:23 am »
Hi Becky, I'm glad that you found BPO, welcome!  I'm mom to Daisy our Golden/Lab, Cassie a Pyr/? mix, and Sammy a Pyr and we've had two sweet Pyr girls that at the bridge now.  We've had Pyrs since 1989 and I'm sure that we'll have a Pyr in our family for as long as we're able to care for them. Our first Pyr could go over a 6' dog-ear fence, and it took some really extraordinary precautions to keep her in, but that's not the norm.  Our second, third & fourth Pyrs have all been fine with normal privacy fencing, but I wouldn't trust any Pyr ever with underground fencing for all of the reasons that everyone's explained.  On top of the fact that they're bred to guard large territories, they also have extremely high pain tolerances and I seriously doubt that a shock would stop them from crossing the fence if they were determined to guard (which is what they do).  However, they are really smart, so they will remember that it's there (once they're outside it) and they probably won't go back in, so it's doubly dangerous for this breed, like everyone's said.  You can be sure that they'll cross it to guard or to roam, it's just in the genes.  BTW, I have serious questions about any breeder that says that underground fencing will work with this breed.  :-\  This may just be the tip of the iceberg (as it were) with this breeder.  I have never spoken with any good Pyr breeder that doesn't require strong, visible fencing with this breed, so personally I would be afraid of what else might be wrong.  :-\  Do they show the dogs, are the parents checked & clear of all major genetic defects, do they guarantee the pups, do they sell pups with a spay/neuter contract, will they rescue dogs from their breeding if they ever end up in Great Pyrenees Rescue?  The best way that I've ever found to determine all of this is to contact the Pyr Rescue Coordinator in the breeder's area.  They will know if this is a good breeder or not.  Here's a link to GPCA's Rescue contacts, you'll find names & phone numbers here.  I have a hunch that they'll be able to give you some good insight.   

http://clubs.akc.org/gpca/gpcaresq.html

Please let us know what you decide.  The most important thing is that you find the dog that will be right for your family, so that it has a happy, permanent home.  I'm sure that you'll figure it all out with a bit of research.  Again, welcome!   ;D

Modified to add: I'm sorry, I read your original post early this morning and I forgot some important points by the time I responded this evening!  My mind is going to mush, I think. 

I am so sorry for your loss.  We lost our second pyr last year to cancer at 3 y/o and we miss her so much.  :'(  We just never have long enough with them, again I'm so sorry.  I also just noticed that you are considering a rescue dog.  I think that is wonderful!  Though our first 2 pyrs came to us from breeders, Sammy came to us from rescue and Cass was rehomed to us by an elderly couple that couldn't care for her any longer.  I think that rescue is a great way to find your new family member and save a life!  I think that this sounds wonderful if you can work out the fencing questions.  Agh, sorry this is soooo long!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 08:36:23 am by GoldenPyrs »
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 02:45:06 pm »
Thanks Goldenpyrs I have been in contact with the local rescue group in MN and WI and I am waiting for a answer on whether or not they will have a pyr for us.  The group in WI has a very mellow 2 y/o Male that she said that MAY work with the invisible fence.
As for the breeder we are going with I have researched them and they do guarantee their pups free of genetic defects, they have both parents on site and they are a working sheep farm.
I am sorry for your loss too what type of cancer was it?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 05:38:24 pm by EastJenn »
Becky

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 12:53:44 pm »
Hi there,
We have a 1.5 year old male pyr and the underground fence we put in was the best thing we could have done. He hasn't once left the perimeter and he is so happy to have the freedom to run without getting tangled in rope around trees. There are multiple settings that can be used based on your dogs resistance. We are lucky and he hears the warning beep and retreats from the line.

Good luck.... but I can't say enough about how wonderful it has worked for our pyr.  :)
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 02:07:20 pm »
I've always wished we could have invisible fencing.  We have 6 acres and the big square of chain link in the backyard is rather ugly!  However, our Samson made it impossible.  #1 he was a Malamute...not oriously stubborn and loved to wander so I didn't think it would keep him in the yard.  #2 he was epileptic...if he broke the fence barrier and got shocked it could have sent him into a seizure.  After he died my husband talked about replacing the chain link with invisible fence, but after all these years I think we would have a tough time training the other dogs to it!

We have more than 1/2 an acre fenced in, and it only cost us about $4500.  You can also get chain link that has a green rubber coating....it blends in more with the grass and is not as ugly.  I would recommend any fence be at least 5' high....giant breeds can jump a 4' fence with no problem.  I would also recommend using tent stakes to further secure it to the ground....we have a few diggers who can tunnel out under the fence! 
Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 04:38:49 pm »
Hey! I was totally in your position-- I have a newfie and a golden retriever.  I felt totally guilty/scared/anxious, etc. about an underground fence.  I honestly didn't think that it was going to work with Winston-- He's the most stubborn, meat-headed dog I've ever met.  I mean, if he was a person, he'd be some frat boy who'd love to crush beer cans of his forehead!!! And, Winston is that kind of dog that if he sees ANYTHING in the distance, he TAKES OFF....I mean, there's no stopping him. 

Buuuttt, we decided to give it a chance, as our neighborhood has a ton of fencing limitations. 

Anyway, long story short, we took A LOT of time to train them CORRECTLY.  I think that Pyrs might be a bit different, but I wanted to give you my experience with a VERY stubborn dog that responded to it very well (he was only "corrected" twice and its on the LOWEST setting).  Honestly, it was a great decision for us......
Good luck!

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 05:35:52 pm »
I have placed a total of 7 Pyrs into homes with invisible fencing and it has worked with each one.  One home has 7 acres in underground fencing another has 2 acres in underground the rest of the homes have smaller yards  All of them stay in their fencing  I also have placed several PBGVs in homes with underground and they are even harder than Pyrs but they also are staying in  Training is key to success