Author Topic: Thinking about taking on another Dane  (Read 8251 times)

Offline fivestartaylor

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Scooby & Kids
    • View Profile
Thinking about taking on another Dane
« on: July 26, 2007, 09:09:32 pm »
OK so I was reading about this Pitbull who was found wandering the streets after someone set it on fire here in Indy today and in the article they mentioned a female great dane that animal control had picked up , someone chained her to a tree and let her starve almost to death shes 3 years old and so emaciated she can barely walk but I called animal control and offered my time and money to get her back up and going ok again, they told me I could have first bid on adoption if I helped now... my only concern is for a dog that has been so mistreated i kinda feel iffy because of my little kids... what if she snaps and gets aggresive? She seems sweet as can be but I am just concerned. Watcha think??

P.S - the pitbull is gonna be fine after some major treatment... she has almost all of her backside burnt down to the muscle but they are working hard on her and she is happy and licks your face if you'll let her... she has a great chance at being someone's forever doggie

Mom To :

Scooby 18mo. Great Dane
          &
Lucy   7yr old Labrador Retriever

2 Kids & 1 Husband -(might as well be another kid)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about taking on another Dane
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 09:59:12 pm »
I would definately meet her and see!  Our Sammy is 5-6 y/o and he was intentionally starved nearly to death by some monster.  He was literally just skin & bones when we first met him.  He'd starved for so long that his body had even used up most of his muscle mass.  After he'd go out in the rain to go potty, we'd put a towel on his back to dry him, and he'd start to collapse from the weight of the towel.  I can't tell you how angry it makes me to think that someone would do this to him and to do it on purpose is just unfathomable to me.  Still, Sammy is soooo sweet!  All he wants is to be loved, non stop!  Oh and to be fed, we laugh that he's more reliable than an atomic clock.  Every day at 10AM and at 8PM he asks for his food.  He is food protective (after being starved who wouldn't be, right?) and he will growl if another dog comes near, but he doesn't bother any of the people in the family if we get near his food.  So, we feed the dogs all seperately, but we would anyway.  He came home to us the last week of February and he's up to normal weight now (I need to take him in for a current weight).  We adore him and he's very good with the kids.  We've told them to leave him alone while he eats "just in case" and they do.  We haven't had any problems.  He sits and takes treats very gently from your hand and doesn't fight with Daiz or Cass over treats, so it's all been fine.  

I should add that we'd also been afraid to rescue up until now b/c of the kids and then we adopted Cass & Sam within weeks of each other.  I really don't know if we'd have ever done it w/o reading all of the success stories on BPO.  I would really, really encourage you to meet her.  Despite all of the abuse she's suffered, she might just be the best addition to your family that you could every imagine.  Sammy is!  ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline fivestartaylor

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Scooby & Kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 10:27:23 pm »
Going to go after work tonight to have a look and sit with her for awhile.Pup needs lots o lovins, so I may be out late tonight smoochin with the poor thing.
Mom To :

Scooby 18mo. Great Dane
          &

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 11:31:40 pm »
I'm so glad that you're going to meet her!!!  Please let us know how it goes, I'll be sooo curious.  Oh, and give her snuggles & kisses from me, too!   :-*

P.S.  My hubby just said to mention that Cass seemed pretty squirrely with the kids when she first arrived (jumping and mouthing us constantly), but within a week or two of working with her (just hubby & I) she was so calm and sweet that she's just wonderful with the kids now.  I'd probably trust her with the kids the most of all of our pups, and all three dogs are great, Cass is just extraordinaril y sweet & gentle now.  She was just really stressed and sad at first over being rehomed.  So don't be surprised if this little girl seems stressed and agitated at first, I'm sure that I would be if I were her.   ;)  ;D
Marie

And my pups:

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 11:40:01 pm »
Going to go after work tonight to have a look and sit with her for awhile.Pup needs lots o lovins, so I may be out late tonight smoochin with the poor thing.

Yeah! I am soo glad you are going to meet her. Poor girl. It's probably a good thing she is there and not here...I am wanting another girl Dane BADDD...but till Mr. Beau is healthy and finds a home, I will have to wait.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 01:01:23 am »
I would go for it, it seems to me that it is way more likely for a neglected dog to act almost gratefull to it's new family. I bet she'll be a sweetie.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 02:18:54 am »
Pretty much everyone of my rescues have been abused and under weight. My rescue Danes are uncomfortable around small children but I really think that it is because we do not have small children in our household. After you get to meet her and get comfortable with her- can you take your kids up to meet her? See how she reacts? Also all of my rescues here are the most grateful sweet dogs ever. They KNOW, they know that you have saved them and that they are finally loved. Its special to be able to share your home with that much unconditional love.

chaosndestruction

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 03:44:55 am »
Pretty much everyone of my rescues have been abused and under weight. My rescue Danes are uncomfortable around small children but I really think that it is because we do not have small children in our household. After you get to meet her and get comfortable with her- can you take your kids up to meet her? See how she reacts? Also all of my rescues here are the most grateful sweet dogs ever. They KNOW, they know that you have saved them and that they are finally loved. Its special to be able to share your home with that much unconditional love.

I agree here. I'd see if before you make the final decision, once she's back up on her feet, if they'd let you bring your kids in to see how she's reacts to them.

Otherwise rescued animals are usually the most grateful and loyal pets you can ask for!

Offline fivestartaylor

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Scooby & Kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 03:56:23 pm »
Oh she's a sweety alright, she is a blue merle (what i planned on getting next) she is skin and bones... mostly bones but she is so sweet. I knelt beside her and she started licking my ear and i couldn't figure out why ( my kids and I were making cookies b-4 we left and apparently I had residue in my hair and around my ear) she is pretty pitiful right now, but i gave them $600 and told them to get her as good as they could and then I would come get her when she was stable enough- after all if I can get her home I can always take her to our reg vet if needed for anymore special care

Hubby is so gonna shoot me but he'll get over it!!!
Mom To :

Scooby 18mo. Great Dane
          &

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 04:48:44 pm »
Oh she's a sweety alright, she is a blue merle (what i planned on getting next) she is skin and bones... mostly bones but she is so sweet. I knelt beside her and she started licking my ear and i couldn't figure out why ( my kids and I were making cookies b-4 we left and apparently I had residue in my hair and around my ear) she is pretty pitiful right now, but i gave them $600 and told them to get her as good as they could and then I would come get her when she was stable enough- after all if I can get her home I can always take her to our reg vet if needed for anymore special care

Hubby is so gonna shoot me but he'll get over it!!!

Whoooo-hooo!!!! You are wonderful for helping this girl!!! I am sure she will be a great adition to your family, the rescue pups usually are. I can't wait to hear updates and see pictures!!!!
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 07:56:02 pm »
awesome im so excited!!!! this is going to be a great addition to your family, im so happy for you!
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 09:15:01 pm »
I am so happy for you and for her.  ;D  ;D  She sounds like a snuggle bug and it is *wonderful* of you to help her.  It sounds like you're going to be her angel.   :-*

How long will they need to keep her at the shelter before you can take her home?  Will your kids & hubby get to meet her soon?  Pics, please!!
Marie

And my pups:

Offline fivestartaylor

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Scooby & Kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 10:16:12 pm »
Dunno yet ... she's still pretty touch and go at times, but they think they can get her to pull through this.

Husband is giving me the cold shoulder ... kids are happy though. I am taking them tommorrow after my sons B-Day party.
Mom To :

Scooby 18mo. Great Dane
          &

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 10:57:01 pm »
when my mother brought Lady home from the shelter my dad gave her the cold shoulder too. but now he cant get enough of lady.  sometimes our hubbies dont know what's best for them :D
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog