Author Topic: Finally got Bubba to the vet and got his weight.  (Read 7065 times)

Lyn

Finally got Bubba to the vet and got his weight.
« on: July 29, 2007, 03:01:13 am »
AND.. I'm reallllly disappointed. :'( All this time it looked to me that he was putting on some decent weight.. Nope! He's almost 30 months old and weighs 123 pounds. :o I stood there looking at the scale thinking it's not seriously going to stop there, but it did.  :(

He only weighs 11 pounds more than Lola and she's only going on 15 months old. WTH? Plus all of Bubba's littermates including his sisters weight more than he does. The males are in the 170-180 range, and the females are 140-ish. It's like he got the scrawny genes. LOL

But, my vet said he's perfectly healthy. No parasites and his blood work all came back fine. While we were there I also proper hips x-rays this time and no HD! So thankfully I did get some good news.

So I'm to bring him in and weigh him monthly from now on to make sure he's continuing to gain weight. I also asked him about feeding 'satin balls' to get some weight on him and he told me leave him alone and let him fill out on his own. While he's underweight he's not emaciated and probably just has a high metabolism and if it would make me feel better I could increase his food a bit. LOL

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Finally got Bubba to the vet and got his weight.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 03:09:04 am »
Awww...well I know you hoped he'd be huge boy but try to think on the positive side. Big dos are prone to problems, etc so being on the small side could be a blessing in disguise.  ;)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 03:16:40 am »
Very true. Height wise he's on par with his littermates. The boys are 32-33 inches tall. But they are almost twice the width of Bubba. He doesn't even look like he's related to them. LOL

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 07:24:22 am »
awwww i think he's hansome, skiny or no. Max is pretty small yet for his litter average too. but like every one else said, there's a pluss side, and he may also be a late bloomer too!
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 06:49:33 pm »
Kate moss.. hahahaha

I honestly hope he is a late bloomer because I'm going to go postal on the next person that decides to stop me and tell me that I'm starving him. >:(

I just want his body to look in proportion to the rest of him.  ;)

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 12:13:35 pm »
Please, do not worry! He still has time to mature and even if not - just thing how good it is for his joints! Longer life, better joint and hip conditions later! Yes, I can see you asking for BIG saint but there is a very bright side of him being so light. You know that he is in perfect shape so what else you can wish?
http://ozolkalni.blogspot.com/
Come and pat Grace athttp://en.uniteddogs.com/dog/16498

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 02:35:25 pm »
I posted this back in July so I was surprised to see it back at the top, LOL. But I might at well give an update. ;)

Bubba's has gained just over 10 pounds.. So he's nearing 135 pounds now.

I know alot of his weight problems stem from his digestive issues. He gets flare-ups of colitis and whenever he has a flare-up he loses weight. Since he's been switched to a grain-free food (Orijen) it's helped alot. No more colitis flare-ups! I think that's why he's finally putting weight on and keeping it on.

Seriously though I don't care what he weighs as long as he doesn't look 'starved'. I'm tired of the feed him more comments.. DUH if it was that simple. LOL

Offline goldensaint25

• Ankle Biter
  • My babies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 10:40:18 pm »
Cujo is very slender to. Had his hips checked by the vet everything came back clear. Hes 130 at a year and 3 months I dont think h*ll grow much larger. Is that to thin for a saint?

Lyn

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 05:29:34 am »
At 15 months Cujo still has quite a bit of growing left to do. I thought Bubba was done getting his height by 18 months but by the time he turned 2 he was an inch taller and his chest and head filled out more. He's also gotten alot 'thicker' this past year in the body and he'll be 3 in Feb.

I wouldn't worry.. for his age I think Cujo is a good weight.

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 07:22:08 pm »
well, he's got his twin beat!  wango is just 110.  HA, st bernard my bum lol
NICKI