Author Topic: I'm full of questions today  (Read 4070 times)

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
I'm full of questions today
« on: August 09, 2007, 06:12:25 pm »
First set ?- Butt is always humping poor Tub ie: back, front, sideways, just any way he can.Sometimes he gets Tub in ackward positions where I think he is going to hurt him.Why does he do this,they are both fixed? Is it something I should stop or just let be dogs? Should I get a girl dog for him to hump instead?

2nd set ? - If I was wanting to add a 3 rd dog does it would it be better to add a male or female? Butt has never been overly fond of other dogs that is why I choose a puppy when I got Tub,so should stick with only puppies? Would it mess up the bond the boys have adding another dog?

3rd set - My ex husband has a dog(Great Dane & Coon Hound mix) which I don't see very often,but when I do and I pet him he pees ???  I feel so bad that now I just give his treats to him I brought and dont' pet him.Is it me or the dog?

I'll stop with the ?'s now :)
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: I'm full of questions today
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 04:17:39 am »
#1: As everyone has said here, humping is mainly a dominance thing.  However......I've also seen is as an attempt to get the other dog to play. I dont' think this is the case with your dog, but I have seen that be the case on other occasions.  Once they start playing, the humping stops.  My rattie is about 1/2 and 1/2 with his humping.  He actually normally only does it to girls, but will sometimes fixate on a male.  However he's not a dominant dog so I find that odd.  Since he's not neutered and at some point after showing him may be bred in the future, I can't correct him for mounting.  However, he does get told "off", which he listens to very well (although not always for very long........lo l)

#2: Well, I have 2 males and 2 females.  I also have heard opposite sexes get along better than same sex families.  Which is why when I got Gunther I got a male dane, as I already had a female Keiko.  When my ratties came along, there were no issues, of course they were puppies.  Both Keiko and Gunther bonded with Nigel faster.  Posey is so tiny she pretty much only plays with Gunther, although when she went into heat last and her and Nigel were separated, she tried really hard to play with Gunther (he pretty much ignored her.........lo l).  Both females defnitely rule the roost........a lthough Keiko has slowly been transfering the leadership position over to Gunther.

#3:  I'm guessing he's just very excited to see you.  One suggestion that's worked well in the past is to totally ignore the dog for a few mintues until he's calmed down.  Don't even look at him.  Then call him over to you and pet him w/o speaking to him.  This also works for submissive pee'ers.