Author Topic: Nature's Variety  (Read 3973 times)

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Nature's Variety
« on: August 05, 2007, 09:03:36 am »
I was thinking about switching Phelan to a raw diet and was wondering if anyone had any experience with Nature's Variety? We have been giving him the beef shank bones since he was little and just today tried him on the neck bones which he destroyed readily. He's just not overly enthused with kibble. The Nature's variety offers kibble, canned and frozen raw in many different meats. I know ThatDuckyBoy feeds raw and i think mentioned feeding kibble in the am? Really and experiences with raw foods would be much appreciated. Thanks, Ann.

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Nature's Variety
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 02:56:01 pm »
I use the Natures Variety Raw Frozen patties and turkey necks along with kibble. Adak loves it. We have not tried their kibble yet, but we use that with Solid Gold (use to be Eukanuba, but not anymore). I feed one meal kibble and one meal raw, his coat is wonderful and his poo looks good.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 03:48:22 pm »
Ann, I have been feeding Nature's Variety Grain Free for 6 months now and it is great! Also, Lily has been fed raw since she was 3 months. Lily doesn't like to eat in the a.m. or afternoon and only eats at night so I can't really separate kibble abd raw.  It doesn't seem to be an issue. She doesn't have any digestion problems.  Sometimes I buy little bags of different kibble to change it up and it seems like after 2-3 days she wants her Nature's Variety back! I do buy Frozen patties sometimes BUT 1. they are expensive 2. I think they have too much bone in it and not enough organs and meat and therefore not balanced ( Lily has very dry, sandy poops after she eats it). I think it is so much better just to buy whatever is on sale in the grocery stores.
PM me if you need more info on raw feeding  ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 12:40:28 am »
I looked at the website and i really like that you can alternate between meats, canned, kibble & raw, but it has no info on what kind of rotation it recommends. Also I would probably feed the patties as the raw portion but need more info on what kind of cycle i should use for the different meats. Do you stick with say beef until the pack is done and then go to fish or do you alternate daily/weekly?? I just want what's best for Phelan (possibly the kitties too, although they like the innova evo) and he is definately a dog that would prefer a raw diet. Do you add veggies at all? Are there things I shouldn't feed him while on the raw diet?
I was just told yesterday that there should be a 2 hour gap between giving him bones and kibble to prevent any potential for calcium build up. What else do i need to know? Thanks, Ann

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 01:02:21 am »
I believe that patties already have veggies in them. If he likes veggies you can always add some more, just make sure you blend it (dogs don't digest it other way).

Rotation doesn't matter. The variety is the most important. He has to get all kinds of meat such as rabbit, beef, pork, chicken, turkey, etc.

If he eats twice a day that kibble in the morning and raw at night would work wonders! You will be surprise when you see results after 4-6 weeks! ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 04:56:55 pm »
Like Julie (Dahlie Juju)- Ellie and Blu have been on Nature's Variety Raw Instint for about six months and they are healthy and looking great... and their poops.... well let me tell you, they are solid and small - which is a complete bonus to the pooper scooper in a house with seven dogs (that's me!)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 04:57:52 pm by EllieAndBlu »

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 04:49:34 am »
Thanks guys, much appreciated, I think we will be switching over in the next couple of months. Ann