Author Topic: The Great Breed Debate *Pictures*  (Read 10185 times)

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
The Great Breed Debate *Pictures*
« on: August 06, 2007, 12:21:57 pm »
Bailey is a mutt. Plain and simple. But I have it in my brain that he is an Akita mix. There are a lot of similarities. Not only in appearance, but in personality. I also have this thought way back in my brain that Bailey has some teeny bit of Wolf in him. Most people definitely do not agree with me, but he acts so much like every hybrid i've ever met of heard of, it is unbelievable. He is protective of his food, has a strong prey drive, doesn't like to submit to other dogs or people, he fights to kill (just ask Sammie) and he has those yellow/amber eyes. He has tiny feet however. Don't know where he got those. Must've had some Collie way back in there too  ;) Just kidding. He is a blonde/tan color (similar to BPO's late Tsu Ling) with darker ears, and very tip of his tail. He has long, gangly legs, and a light build. Yet he is a pretty big dog (not according to a newf owner though...) 85 pounds. He looks nothing like BPO's Axle, but I have seen several Ch. Akita's that look VERY similar to Bailey. I will attach a couple pictures of him, and maybe a couple of some hybrids and Akitas i know. Bear with me, i am still figuring out pictures.

The first is Bailey.
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Breed Debate *Pictures*
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 12:24:29 pm »
Here he is being pestered by Sky. Sorry it's a tad blurry.
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 12:25:35 pm »
This is a really funny pic.
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 12:28:15 pm »
Here is a wolf hybrid. His darker coloring around his ears and the tip of his tail is identical to Bailey. His head a a teeny bit longer/thinner, and he is a little heavier boned.
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 12:29:53 pm »
This is a wolf hybrid with what they believed to be an Akita.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 12:30:32 pm by Leah&Sky »
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 12:31:52 pm »
Oh dang, I messed that up. Ok, the first one in my last message is a purebred Akita. The second is a Wolf hybrid. Sorry.
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 07:32:02 pm »
His head, nose, ears, color of eyes and tail for that matter, looks to me like he might have a bit of Chow in him but those could also be the Akita.  And the wolf traits that you mentioned are traits of any working dog really!  On another board if anyone mentions getting their GSD started in schutzund everybody asks if the pup has those traits!  I think it's funny.  Either way, he's a cutie.  And so many breeds started as a conglomeration of other breeds that sometimes there's just no telling!  We need a Bailey specific breed!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Cai Li

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 10:35:23 pm »
I see defanate chow there as well! The fur and tail and the tounge give it away. He is beautifull!!
A wagging tail lifts you when life has let you down.

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 10:19:50 pm »
We thought he was a chow/akita mix as a puppy (he was all cute and fluffy..what happened?)But when he lost his puppy coat he got this shorter, very, very coarse, dense coat. Which to me looks/feels much like an Akitas. Plus (to me) he just doesn't look like a Chow Chow. He does kind of have those almond shaped eyes though. I think he may have some in the pedigree somewhere, just not like half, or anything. Most pound puppies do! I really see the GSD in him (not a ton in his appearance, but he really has some traits of a working breed. Except the brains.  ::) I highly doubt he has an ounce of Lab in him. He has the color, and that's it. And even that is very off from a yellow Lab.

I don't know...We'll never really know, will we? I love him for his goofy, screwed up, self.
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline Ice Blue

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 10:31:30 pm »
Whatever he is, he's adorable!!! I thought chow once I saw his tongue (I'm very bad at identifying breeds, I never try lol) Wait I know what he is...gorgeous! :D
Caitlin

Remy - German Shepherd (7 mths)
Copper - Shetland Sheepdog (14 yrs)
Birch - Lizard (Mali Uromastyx)

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 02:23:14 am »
I see chow too....I don't see any wolf, but possibly GSD or Akita. I had a wolf hybrid  once. They are supposed to be able to do DNA to see what mix mutts are I think...probab ly expensive though.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 03:33:21 am »
Really? That is so cool! I'm betting if i can't afford Innova, I can't afford DNA testing. Does anyone have more info in that tho? very interesting...

Ice Blue: Blue tongues can be seen in several breeds, not just the Chow Chow. I may be off here (someoone correct me if I am) but i think this is the list that CAN have the blue/black tongues.
 This is a list of breeds thatcan be knownto have black spootted/solid black tongues. (this doesn't by any means it is within the breed standard.

Airedale, Akita, Australian Cattle Dog, Australian Shepherd, Belgian Sheepdog, Belgian Tervuren, Belgian Malinois, Bichon Frise
Bouvier de Flandres, Bull Mastiff, Cairn Terrier, Chinese Shar-Pei, Collie, Cocker Spaniel, Dalmatian, Doberman Pinscher,
English Setter, Eurasier, Fila Brasileiro, Flat-coated Retriever, German Shepherd, Golden Retriever, Gordon Setter,Great Pyrenees,
Irish Setter, Kai Ken, Keeshond, Korean Jindo, Labrador Retriever, Mastiff, Mountain Cur, Newfoundland, Pomeranian,
Pug, Rhodesian Ridgeback Rottweiler, Shiba Inu, Siberian Husky, Tibetan Mastiff, Thai Ridgeback

So MANY breeds can have black tongues, not only the Chow. There is a REALLy cool site to visit if youwant to read more about black mouthed non-chows.

Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 04:32:49 am »
I was just talking about the DNA stuff for dogs.  I just heard about it this afternoon and apparently it was on Good Morning America this morning where the anchors got the results for their dogs.  Anyway, I was told that the cost of the test is $60.  But they only have 30 of the different breeds in their database right now.  One of the girls I work with had it done on her dog and she is waiting for the results.  It takes 4-6 weeks to get the results in. 

I have to say that he's a cutie. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience