Author Topic: I need to vent!  (Read 3315 times)

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
I need to vent!
« on: August 13, 2007, 02:10:48 am »
I have been looking at rescues etc. for a female dane... just keeping an eye out. Well anyway I found one that is yanking my heartstrings, she is less than a year and has had a very rough start at life. The funny thing is she could be a twin of my Sweet Tisha. Well..she is in another state, but my friend at the local Humane society makes trips there with the rescue wagon every so often, and she could bring her back...anyway I think the woman has ruled me out because I sent her pics. of Tisha and said I couldn't believe how much they looked alike. She started in with "I hope you aren't trying to replace her...no 2 dogs are the smae" WTF??? I am not 3...I want to adopt a dog in need rather than buy a pup.

I look at the local dane rescues and they say " a fence attached to the house so that the dog exits into it is required"?? again WTH??? I live on 4+ acres!!! I am not fencing  around my house. I have 2 kennel areas if I need to use them but my dogs are with me either inside or outside. Never lost a dog....I guess they are better off shoved out in a yard all day, or staying in the VERY crowded shelters than living in the country being spoiled!!!!! Oh and the one rescue says they WILL NOT adopt a dog into a house with kids under 10 years old!!! I guess it is off to the puppy mill/BYB I go.....

Then I get on Craigslist tonight. someone in Columbus has a 2 year old dane female (merle) she is getting rid of her because she is pregnant and no vet will cut the dogs tail off for her!!!! WTH!!!!!!! She already has 4 kids 10, 8 , and 4 years old. What the h*ll does she think chopping a 2 year old dogs tail off is going to do????

I am sick of people today....
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline heidismom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: I need to vent!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 02:25:13 am »
wow you have had a crappy time of it.  the yard thing is annoying, i guess the morons that let their dogs run loose in the city have ruined it for folks like you who could provide an acceptable alternative.
 i am also mystified about why you would chop off a dogs tail in the first place, let alone what being pregnant might have to do with it.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 04:29:26 am »
Sorry you are having such a hard time trying to rescue a dane.  That first lady you emailed is just plain crazy.  So what if you think the dog resembles a previous dog?  She must think people are real idiots if they think b/c a dog looks like another they will act the same. (of course I'm sure there are those kinds of people out there)

I had issues with the fence thing too.  Not sure exactly what your fence rules meant, but mine was the fence had to be at least 5 ft high.  I lived on base at the time and the fencing wasn't mine to change (fencing was 4ft, 5ft and 6 ft depending on which side you were referring to)...........so I ended up looking at breeders.

As for the pregnant lady?  Real idiot but I bet I know why she wants the tail cut off.  Since the dog is 2, she got it after her last child was born.  She is now pregnant again and doesn't want the tail hitting her in the stomach injuring the baby inside.  Stupid I know, but you all know how some people think.

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 04:47:04 am »
It's not because of the tail hitting her..the ad says she is due in a month. I think she is afraid of it hitting the baby maybe??? Who knows.

As for the fencing...I don't know if the rescues have exceptions or not. I haven't even tried filling an application out. The fence can be a regular 4' according to the website, but "the exit of the building/house they dog lives in must enter into the fence". I am not going to put up fencing in my yard...so if they are strict on that oh well...I have vet records that show my animals have always been cared for, my female dane was 11 when she passed...I even have a credit card just for animal emergencies (we haven't used it yet because we hate plastic...but in the event that something catastrophic happened we have it). I volunteer every week at the pound spay/neuter surgeries...an d monthly at the Humane society spay/neuter clinic, plus helping out where ever else I can. And this week I am going to look at vet tech schools. The right dog will find me when it is time. I am still trying to find Beau, my foster a home and until then I really don't need another big paw. I am just in a mood today and really annoyed.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

chaosndestruction

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 07:43:00 pm »
I'd do what Holly said and contact them anyway...

I know the fence thing seems ridiculous...b ut after encoutering idiots like the ones that own poor, Aiden, I know why they have that rule.

The ferret rescue I went through when I adopted Pixel, had a policy that stated something about not placing ferrets in homes with recliners...wh ich is understandable because they are VERY dangerous to ferrets... But after I explained how the recliners on the couch aren't EVER opened and how we are very careful with the furniture when they are out...they let us adopt:)