Author Topic: Where'd you get your dog?  (Read 10775 times)

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Where'd you get your dog?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2005, 03:14:44 pm »
One of our customers at the video store came by with a litter of rottweiler,lab. mixes from her ranch.  She was asking $50 for them and Niki ran to me licking and shaking her whole body, especially her backside like rotts do - I lost control.  Offered her $50 in free movie rentals to seal the deal.  The rest is history.  I never let her have any pups because that is the way I feel but I really am sorry  :'( because she would have been a very happy mom.  She adopted baby kittens and would not let anybody near them.  Now also if a ewe abandons her lamb, which they do sometimes, Niki adopts them too. 
Peggy

Offline Legends & Sassy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Don't Forget To Hug Your Furbaby Today & Everyday
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2005, 01:45:19 pm »
Where I got my furbabies
Katie JoJo (Brat) I rescued from near death Sept 2003 in  Missouri..The trailer Park I was living in she was tied outside with no food or water or shelter just skin and bones...I took her home with me and fed her some bread and gave her some water shortly after there was a knock on my door it was the police asking if I stole a puppy I answered truthfully that I did take a puppy and then asked him if he wanted to see her, then her previous owner come up and stated"She stole my pup!" well I showed him Katie and he turned to the other lady and stated "Ma'am if you don't want to go to jail for animal cruelty if I were you I would forget about even having this pup" so she left and he asked to hold Katie and I allowed it and he stated to me"Ma'am you're a great person for rescueing her from near death" after the police officer left I packed Katie up and went into town to Dollar General to buy her some puppy food then I took her to the vet....Oct 18th of the same year we moved back home to Indiana and she's one healthy puppy & celebrated her 2nd birthday in July......Kati e JoJo is my life

Sassy I rescued in Wildwood Florida about 13 years ago..I came home from work one night and my room-mate told me there was funny sounds coming from outside so I went to investigate and I discovered a black trashbag moving when I opened it up I found Sassy in it with her eyes still closed....I took her to the vet and the vet stated she's 3/4 pit 1/4 lab....She's also my life and I love them both dearly
                              DFTHYFBT&E
                                               Love
                                                        Legends

GR8DAME

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2005, 10:20:58 pm »
Raven my dobie was owned by some aquantances of ours that were neglecting her-11 months old, 36 lbs of bones and hide, kept in the basement in a crate except when their granddaughter came over to tease and torment her. I blackmailed them into giving her to me, and have not regretted it once in the last 9 years...
Merlin, our dane came from a breeder.
Strider, our dane/wolfhound was rescued from a high-kill animal control at 7 weeks old on his last night on this earth. They found his IW Momma in a ditch on a county road with 10 puppies, and when they tried to track down the owner found that he had moved to Florida, and left the pregnant dog and the dane Dad in the care of a developmentall y diabled nieghbor. When the nieghbor figured out that the owner wasn't coming back to get them, and he didn't want them he let them go, figuring that they could fend for themselves. Dad was found nearby on the side of the road, victim of a traffic fatality.
Some people really suck.
Stella

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2005, 10:43:12 pm »
Cowboy was rescued by a friend of mine from a couple who kept him in a crate at their condo in the desert so "he wouldn't get the condo dirty".  They had been "water training" him at the Salton Sea (a putrid lake).  He has arthritis in his front knees and has cluster-seizure epilepsy.  The breeder wanted him shipped back to NY, but I convinced her that I would love him like no other dog on the planet....and I do!  Chester, we got from a breeder in Texas and I carried him home on my lap on the airplane.  I think all the flight attendants thought I was a weird woman who loved stuffed animals (TRUE!) The two of them are the best things to happen to us since the last kid went to college ;D

Kiahpyr

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2005, 11:39:59 pm »
I got Kiah from a breeder by St. Louis, MO. We drove to get her and she did very well in the car. It was an eight hour drive for us. She was in the passenger seat with me on the floor and in my lap. She spent most of the time sleeping with her head behind the middle consel. The air conditioning vent was back there. She loved it!

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2005, 03:03:30 am »
K from oldest to youngest...... .

Blue (Bluetick Coonhound)- Came from a local animal control shelter. We went to an area adoption event (Meet your best friend at the Zoo) to get a cat to add to our Rottweiler and cat we already owned. While I was filling out the paperwork for the cat my husband, son, and nephew went "looking". They came back and asked me to look at the dog they had saw. My husband had always wanted a Bluetick... We went and talked to the AC found out they had picked him up as a stray over 9 months before and this was his last chance at a home. He loved the kids so home he went...12 years later he is a happy 14 year old dog.
Lucci (Vizsla)- I met Lucci at a local pet supply store when she was 6 months old..after researching the breed for over a year, as soon as I saw her I cornered her owner to ask who the breeder was. Being in the time before finding a puppy was as easy as a click of a mouse Vizslas where hard to find. Ended up he was the breeder (not a BYB either imagine that)and he was looking to place her on a co-own. All it took was her getting in my lap and a kiss and the deal was sealed...she is now 9 years old.
May (Vizsla)- I got wind of May being available from a friend. She had been contact by Mays owner in hopes of finding her a home since he was no longer able to care for her and had sold the others. We went "just to look" ...after seeing the conditions she was being kept in she went home that day. She has been here 7 months and is the best looking I have ever done:)
Cruiser- (Rat Terrier... not a big paw but thinks he is)- We were given Cruiser from a local Petstore due to he had severe pneumonia and was almost to the no sell age. He is now 7 years old.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 03:05:37 am by VdogLover »

henrysmomma

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2005, 08:15:10 am »
I guess you could call Henry a rescue too. ;) We really wanted a bully, but we couldn't find one... I had done my research extensively and got nowhere. So one day I went to buy some food for my two "mojos" ;) and there he was! The space they had him in was really cramped and I really didn't want to leave him there. So we took him home and he's been a great dog, I still regret where he came from,  but the store assured me over and over that he wasn't from a puppymill... ::)

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2005, 08:26:56 pm »
all our ridgebacks are either our breeding with a good friend who breeds top RR's, and we bought Tsavo to inprove on our line here. top RR,s but differnt backgrounds.ne ed to outcross for strength. our line is getting too tight for my liking, some say it's fine but i will have sounder pups, as i out cross and the match will pull faults,,,,,,,,hopefully.   we chose tsavo over many other breeders, and spent many hours going over all the family tree and other pups in the litter. we had pick # 1,,,,,,,,i think we did a great job, he is very handsome and even temperd dog, with lots of spunk and playfullness.a nd has already learned that a sofa is not only for humans,lol.
he is wonderful and not so little any more. his older brother is 29 in and 125 lbs. finnished ch. as a pup
very nice lines, and our tigre the fila, was a rescue, sort of. the former owner could not controll her, but would only give her up to a good home
so   tigre lives with us and ummmmmmmm multi ridgebacks
we over socialized her, and she is pretty calm for a Fila
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2005, 01:04:24 am »
Most of mine have either been foundlings, orphans or rescues.  Of the 3 that I have now, 2 are from rescues and 1 showed up on a neighbor's door as a very young puppy (probabaly just weaned).  In order earliest to latest order and with 2 special mentions at the end:

1) Puck - the foundling; he showed up on a neighbor's door not quite 4 yeas ago (can't believe it's been that long).  I had Spot (very dog aggressive) at the time and Carol (the neighbor) thought he might do well with a puppy, since I was considering getting a second dog with Spot aging.  Well, spot did take to him, so Puck stayed.   We think he's a Rott-Chow mix.  Puck is my ADHD dog... completely scatterbrained and bouncing off the wall, though at about 4 he is starting to settle down some (whew! finally).  Loves to swim.  He is very dog agressive and although he likes to dance a round an show off to people, he quickly get over it and moves on to other things.  Knows all the major commands and will do them if he is in the mood -maybe. Puck's pic:

2) Feste - All Dane All Heart.  He came from a rescue in Ft Walton Beach, Fl (about 2 hours east of Mobile).  Is apparently a well -bred boy, as he has a breeder's tatoo in his ear, but I've not been able to learn which breeder the tattoo goes to.   I had just lost my previous G. D. a couple of months before, and I was looking through petfinder.com, not intending to actually get another dog at the time, when I came across him.  He was so goofy looking in the picture that I couldn't resist.  I had to go see him.  He had been through 3 homes in less than a year with 2 trips to the local high-kill shelter in between.  All this and he was less than or right at, 1 year old.  Was scared of his own shadow when I met him but he has a charming personality and sweet disposition that still managed to show through.  I adopted him and brought him home that day (yes, I had gone to 'just look').  Feste's pic:

3) Chance - the foster Great Labra-Dane Retriever.  - I am fostering Chane for the same rescue that Feste came from.   He is a Charmer of the First Order.  Just as sweet as you would imagine a lab-dane mix to be and very playful... also digs lots of holes and chews up stuff left and right (though this seems to be waning (yay!)).  If we find him a good home then I will be happy; but everyone here likes him, so if we don't that is fine too.  Chance's pic:

Special Mention 1: Spot:  My sweet boy.  He was adopted at about 3 years old from a pet adoption at a local grooming/boarding facility.  He was 1/2 Lab and 1/2 Australian Shepherd.  Absolutely adored going to the beach.  Totally devoted and protective of me. The only thing he was afraid of was thunder.  When he passed from cancer at 10, it broke my heart.
Spot's pic:

Special Mention 2: Alexander: My 1st Dane- I got Alex from a vet in Louisiana who had rescued him.  Alex only lived to 3 1/2 years old.  The 1st 2  1/2  years of his life were terrible.  He had been abused (burns and someone tried to yank his tongue out of his head) and neglected and when the people finally took him to a vet, when they were informed that he had stage 3 or 4 heartworms, they advised the vet to euthanise him, as they weren't going to pay to treat him.  The vet refused and got them to sign over custody of him.  She then treated him from her own pocket and when he was strong enough began to look for a home for him.  A mutual friend brought us together.  Alex still had some recuperating to do when I brought him home, but he was so gentle and trusting that he stole my heart and that of anyone else who met him.  He loved to go anywhere where there were people and other dogs.  Because of that he ended up on the TV news and in the paper.  My friends all called him the newshound because of that.  He loved having his picture taken and would search out any camera wherever he was.  Unfortunately, the heartworms had left him with an enlarged heart and in the end, it just couldn't hold out.  He died of heartfailure the day before my birthday this year.  His pic was taken the day before he died:

O.k. for some reason the pics didn't post  the way I inserted them, so here they are in order:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 01:13:18 am by nohesnotahorse »
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2005, 12:12:06 am »
Daffy (our old Newfie X) was from New York ASPCA...

Cody was from some BYB in Indiana (we got 'em when he's 3, and no longer wanted for studding)

Nikki was off www.Craiglist. org

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2005, 12:20:17 am »
Judge was a late Christmas gift from my Sister in North Carolina. She bought my little sister and I each a puppy. She picked them out and bought them and we made the 24hr trip from Northern Ontario to North Carolina to pick them up. This was in May of 2004. He was the best Christmas present ever!!
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2005, 05:11:11 am »
I found Tulsa on Petfinders.com .
There's another thread on these forums that will explain her circumstances.
She has become a Major fixture in my life, and a source of wonderful enjoyment.
She would give her life for me, and I am obligated to do the same.
I don't need a wife, I have a Real Dog!
John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline cincbcat

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2005, 05:21:15 am »
We got Sadie from a breeder about 2 hours from our home.  She puked 3 times on the way home and everytime she's in a car now, she starts foaming at the mouth and drools horribly! 

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2005, 06:11:28 am »
I'm a Pick-Up guy.
So Tulsa rides in back, secured with a tether.
When she see's other dogs, she barks and her tail goes crazy!
People and dogs that get barked at, sometimes smile and wave, sometimes wave the single digit, and curse. I just put my head out the window and shout, "Shut Up", covers most situations!
John and Tulsa
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2005, 06:55:56 am »

I don't need a wife, I have a Real Dog!
John

How funny!  I have a very good friend who has seven Newfoundlands who says the same thing about not needing a husband!  I guess you could take it that it takes seven Newfs to make one man ;)