Author Topic: Im at my breaking point  (Read 7645 times)

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Im at my breaking point
« on: August 16, 2007, 01:58:09 am »
With Mack's digging. I have tried simply everything, but he just contines to dig and dig and DIIIIIG. I have tried filling the holes with poop, and water, a ballon, a chair, hot sauce, burying mack, spanking mack, yelling at mack. If i cover in one of his holes or do something to it, he just starts digging again in a new place. My neew backyard looks like a war zone. I dont know what to do :'( I am very down on Mack right now :'(
When the last fish has been caught and the last tree has been cut down...Only then will man realize that he cannot eat money.

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Im at my breaking point
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 01:59:53 am »
What do you do when you catch him?

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 02:21:32 am »
Usually i just go out and grab him by the collar and say "Did you do that? bad mack!" in an angry tone. Ive given up getting mad at him....
When the last fish has been caught and the last tree has been cut down...Only then will man realize that he cannot eat money.

Offline 8BIGPAWS

• Gnawer
  • Molly (black) & Murphy (white)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 02:26:07 am »
 ???how long is he alone outside unattended? if you stay out with him and stop the unwanted behavior or redirect it when it starts he might get the idea.  A bored dog is a bad dog....they will always find something fun to keep them occupied.   

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 02:49:48 am »
hes usually only out for maybe 15 min...time to do the business and have a stretch.

Thats the funny thing about Mack. He doesnt care if Im watching or not. I could he standing right there and he will come and dig a hole beside me. Ill give him crap for it and he will take off with a case of the zoomies around the yard....look to see if I'm watching (like it matters) and dig another hole! He just doesnt care if he gets in trouble, or anything! I think he just likes to dig. Hes not doing it for any real reason, I think he just likes it! :-\

Lyn

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 03:20:28 am »
How old is Mack? It sounds like he may be going through the adolescent stage. Could also be boredom. Lola can be rotten when she's bored.

Maybe try redirecting him with a toy when he starts to dig? Or put in a sandbox and train him to only dig there?

Bubba and Lola are not diggers *Knock on wood*, lol. The only time I've ever seen them dig is in snow.

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 04:04:09 am »
Mack is 17 months old. So you may be right he could just be going through the puppy version of terrible twos....cause he sure sure has been terrible lately. Digging, not listening, getting up on the couch and bed (big no nos) and just being a general pain in the butt. He is going to get neutered in the middle of next month. Hopefully that will put his attitude in check!

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 11:17:00 am »
We have a digger here, too so I feel for you.  Sammy (aka "Pig Pen" the dirty kid from the Peanuts cartoons) digs holes b/c he's a Pyr and that's what they do   ;)  ;D but also b/c it's summer and the ground temp is cooler than the air temp (even here in the cool Pacific NW).  So if Mack is finding summer to be hot, he may be digging more to find his own form of AC.  My patient husband just filled in Sammy's latest earthmoving project b/c it was about to undermine the foundation of our garage.  DH filled it in with 4"-6" diameter rocks and Sammy isn't amused, I'm afraid.  However, he hasn't tried to dig there again yet.  The rock method also worked wonders with Cara, our Pyr/backhoe from years ago.  Our pups have loved to dig along foundations or under shrubs or trees, so rocks have looked good in those locations, too.  If he digs in the middle of the yard...well... .have you considered turning his projects into koi ponds?   ;)  :D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 08:43:48 am »
Thanks everyone.

I am going to try the digging area...Im going to get some of those things you make soup...OXO cube things and  mix them till they are liquid and pour it over the digging area, someone told me they will dig there cause they are looking for a bone

eh ill try just about anything right now.