Author Topic: Dog Food Quandary. Who can you trust? (LONG)  (Read 3662 times)

marypyrs

Dog Food Quandary. Who can you trust? (LONG)
« on: August 16, 2007, 03:30:59 am »
I've been trying to post this all week. GRRRRR Stupid computer!!! >:( >:(

A lot of you know that I have fed Solid Gold for many, many, years. And I was always thrilled with the results in my Pups. When they came out with the Wolf King I was thrilled. When they came with the Wolf Cub - even more so. I have always supplimented with Solid Gold Seameal. NEVER EVER had a problem of any kind. My guys have grown healthy, strong, and beautiful.

About six weeks ago, after I started feeding Rainbow a new bag of Wolf King she started having diarreah and that had never happened before. A day or so later she was vomiting. I admit to being a worry wort when it comes to my babies - so I went back and bought another bag. (saving the original just in case I need it.)This bag had a different date. (Let me say that my supplier would have taken the first back in a heart beat.) I fed strictly a home made formula for a week before starting the kibble again. SAME THING!

I have called, emailed, and written Solid Gold eight times with NO RESPONSE!! I was extreemly concerned about cross contamination with other foods on "THE LIST" that they manufacture.

Needless to say. The second bag is now taped up with the first. And I will probably be sending them in for testing on my own.

OK. Here's the deal Guys. 1st. After all the contacts I have attemped to make and some were threatening if I didn't get a response, = Solid Gold now has a statement about a change in formula and it's quite interesting!
http://wwww.solidgoldhealth.com/news/

Still, I have not been contacted personally.

More research as to the Diamond Foods who processes Solid Gold and OTHER DIAMOND pet foods! They have STOPPED ALL MFG of canned and possibly dry foods. No recalls have been announced as yet and they have not taken any products off the shelves. But they WILL NOT PRODUCE ANY NEW FOODS UNTIL ALL EQUIPMENT HAS BEEN TOTALLY CLEANED~!?????

I don't know about you. But it's a red light to me. And I don't want to start something that isn't true. But. As I have stated before and anyone who knows me. No Body Messes With My Kids and My Fur Kids!!!! Period!

I'm not done with this yet. And I have now switched the Pyrs to a totally natural diet. I'm NOT going to take a chance anymore!

Check out Diamond. Make your own choices. I have made mine.

(Geeze! I didn't mean to sound so ornery to you guys!?!?  :-\ But I'm really MAD!)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 04:15:46 am by marypyrs »

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Food Quandary. Who can you trust? (LONG)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 04:22:15 am »
WOW now what do I do???  I will return that bag of Diamond Naturals what should I switch to we spent way too much money to mess around with this.  It makes me wonder about our Molly Girl who died we switched her to Diamond about a month before she died of a splenic tumor it could be totally unrelated but it's upsetting to us.  Right now Phoebe is on prescription diet ID I will need to do some work and find her a new kibble I have 2 boys and I dont have the time to make my own at this time of my life unless its really easy.  I saw Oprah had a show about Dogs today I have not watched it yet its TiVo'd.  Any suggestions I live in Minnesota the Minneapolis area alot of the brands that have been mentioned I havent heard of or seen.
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 02:01:29 pm »
Ironically I started feedind Adak Wolf Cub, I use to love it, his poop was never good and is not water, I had to take him to the vet this week for a full out worm test which was neg. I am swtiching him again.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 02:54:18 pm »
Wolf Cub is the first food I put mine on when I brought them home and they had very loose bowels until I got them off of it. :-\

marypyrs

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 05:48:11 pm »
Becky,
Can you take the bag back if you decide not to feed the Diamond? The reason I ask is that my Groomer/Supplier has always been great about that. She'll give a refund or replacement. I know the homemade/raw isn't right for everyone and raising two little boys is certainly a full time job.  ;) Do a google search for brands. They'll usually show a list of dealers/suppliers. I'm in the Two Harbors area so choices are kind of limited too. But Groomer brings stuff in for me from Duluth (she has another shop there) Mpls area should offer quite a bit. You could try some Groomers around where you live.

I'm glad to hear your Molly is feeling better.

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 05:58:45 pm »
Becky,
Can you take the bag back if you decide not to feed the Diamond? The reason I ask is that my Groomer/Supplier has always been great about that. She'll give a refund or replacement. I know the homemade/raw isn't right for everyone and raising two little boys is certainly a full time job.  ;) Do a google search for brands. They'll usually show a list of dealers/suppliers. I'm in the Two Harbors area so choices are kind of limited too. But Groomer brings stuff in for me from Duluth (she has another shop there) Mpls area should offer quite a bit. You could try some Groomers around where you live.

Its funny because we purchased the diamond from a groomer/supplier in town here and she has pyrs also so she recommended it to us.  My husband is just pissed about this he is convinced that this is what killed our Molly Girl in June we will never know but it is odd that a month after we switched her to the diamond she was bleeding internally and had to be put down.  I was thinking of going with Canidae I have read good things on that. Any thoughts Phoebe is pooping normally now so I need to start switching her back to kibble.  I never thought dog food culd be so complicated.  Thanks for your help.
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 07:51:23 pm »
Becky,

Its funny because we purchased the diamond from a groomer/supplier in town here and she has pyrs also so she recommended it to us.  My husband is just pissed about this he is convinced that this is what killed our Molly Girl in June we will never know but it is odd that a month after we switched her to the diamond she was bleeding internally and had to be put down.  I was thinking of going with Canidae I have read good things on that. Any thoughts Phoebe is pooping normally now so I need to start switching her back to kibble.  I never thought dog food culd be so complicated.  Thanks for your help.

Canidae is excellent. That is what I put mine on when I took them off of Solid Gold. Believe me, I feel your pain, I had to throw out a bunch of that food when they just weren't doing well on it. The company was really no help to me when I called and asked how long I could expect them to have issues. I had been looking at the Canidae and switched them over to that pretty quickly, their bowels improved quickly as well. I know at least around me, it's one of the more affordable premium foods too, depending where you buy it and I like that it comes in 40 lb bags verses a lot that only come in 30 lb.

This is the one I have my pups on: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=528&cat=3

Like you, I wanted to do a homeade/raw diet with them but it's just not right for our situation right now either. A step above Canidae would be grain free food but you can't feed that until they are much older.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 07:53:07 pm by mama2many »