Author Topic: Too big ;( LOL!  (Read 7980 times)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Too big ;( LOL!
« on: August 16, 2007, 06:08:29 pm »
The place wher teddy and I do obedience is have an AGILITY ClASS!!!  And we AREN'T invited!!!!!!! :o

The trainer feels so badly because she doesn't think Teddy will fit......the obsticals are about 2ft diameter and Teddy is about 32" tall.  LOL!  He's just too big!!

She said we are welcome to come and "play" any time on the things he will fit in/over.  LOL! 

I guess thats about the only downfall I've found to having a BIG dog so far!  LOL!!!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline fivestartaylor

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Scooby & Kids
    • View Profile
Re: Too big ;( LOL!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 06:29:43 pm »
Aww poor thing. Well at least he can still go and somewhat play.Being a big dog is as bad as being a big person - always missing out on something! LoL.
Mom To :

Scooby 18mo. Great Dane
          &
Lucy   7yr old Labrador Retriever

2 Kids & 1 Husband -(might as well be another kid)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 06:53:40 pm »
Poor Teddy!!! You should definitely take him there to play. Lily took her first agility class this summer and she was about 60-40lb bigger than every other dog. She had so much fun and I did too...My favorite part is seeing her eyes getting out of tunnel, LMAO She is too big for it BUT she keeps her head really low and closes her eyes  ;D  
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 06:57:05 pm »
Poor Teddy! It would be funny to see hi try to fit through the agility tunnel though.  :D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 07:33:30 pm »
Poor Teddy!  First I have to say - He's NOT too big...the tunnels are just too small!  In my opinion, a dog can never be too big.  Poor Teddy going to have a size complex!

I am surprised at how many big dogs participate in agility.  I haven't really had much experience with it, but all I've ever seen is Border Collies and speedy little dogs like that.  Sierra's obedience trainer suggested she take part in agility and I was really surprised when she said that. But now I'm thinking about it.  I think she'd like it.
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 08:07:35 pm »
Poor Teddy!  He's not too big. 

When I first started taking Kaila and Cinder to agility there was an old geriatric big dog (I can't remember the breed) there that would walk through the course.  Her parents brought her out to let her get exercise in a controlled environment.  Anyway, everytime she would go through the chute she would lay down in the back part of it where the material lays on the ground.  Her owners would have to crawl in to get her out. 

I know that they have different groups of agility where dogs just have to go over jumps and not go through the tunnels.  So I think Teddy can do it.  It will definitely be fun.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 08:44:16 pm »
When I first started taking Kaila and Cinder to agility there was an old geriatric big dog (I can't remember the breed) there that would walk through the course.  Her parents brought her out to let her get exercise in a controlled environment.  Anyway, everytime she would go through the chute she would lay down in the back part of it where the material lays on the ground.  Her owners would have to crawl in to get her out. 

Poor old pupper!  She probably was tired by that point and thought the chute was a perfect place for a nap!   :D :D

~ Stephanie

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 10:09:43 pm »
Great video on youtube of a Saint doing agility...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keaH6PkDVds

It makes me LMAO to watch - he's too cute! I'm not sure my Bear would make it through (he's a special, short-bus kind of pup ::)), but I'd love to try with Nakita. I say - Go for it Teddy!
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 10:16:41 pm »
awww.. that was a cute video. you need to take the large breed dogs to an equine jumping arena... i think they would do well there lol. i also vote for bigger tunnels... and hoops.... im sorry, all im picturing here is a large dog at the finish with half the course stuck around his belly and head lol
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 10:17:15 pm »
awwww poor guy, just get him a hoolahoop to go through!
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 05:43:37 am »
im sorry, all im picturing here is a large dog at the finish with half the course stuck around his belly and head lol

haha!!  Thanks for the visual!!  I'm cracking up thinking about it!  There's the Saint, Newf, Mastiff (insert big paw of choice here), looking pretty darn proud of himself, with the chutes and rings stuck around him.  LOL!  ;D :D ;D :D

It was so odd seeing a Saint doing that course.  I'm so used to seeing dogs run through it so fast, and the big dog just lumbered his way through.  I love how slowly he went through the weave poles!!!  Can't wait til Sierra learns how to do all that stuff!

~ Stephanie

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 03:32:02 pm »
My favorite part was the poles.  Dogs usually zoom through it, but he looked a little iffy, didn't he?  ::)
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)