Author Topic: Big Brag- my dog has a new trick!  (Read 3979 times)

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Big Brag- my dog has a new trick!
« on: July 22, 2005, 12:26:31 am »
My Earnest is Lab and Great Dane. In addition to standard commands, he knows how to close doors from both sides, ring the doorbell, ring a brass bell with a rope tied to the clapper, put his toys away, and put empty pop cans in his wagon (the command is "recycle").

Today he learned a new trick, my son Levi helped him.

Earnest is soooo clever! The other day we went and helped a friend of ours on a job, cleaning out a senior citizen's yard and garage. One of the things in the garage was a mailbox on a post, so we brought it home. Levi sunk it in front of the dog's playhouse today. Now Earnest watched him digging the hole, and examined the mailbox where it was laying in the grass. He started jumping around when Levi got the box standing up in the hole, and he kept pushing at the dirt with both front feet, like he was helping Levi tamp it down.

Levi tied a piece of string to the latch on the mailbox, and put Earnest's "calling all dogs" vinyl newspaper toy inside.

I SWEAR this is true, Earnest saw the string on the latch, knew what that was for from other tricks, and when Levi said "Get the mail" and pointed Earnest opened the box by pulling on the string, grabbed the toy, and brought it to Levi.

It is truly becoming my belief that Earnest is a 5 year old human trapped in a dog suit!

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Big Brag- my dog has a new trick!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 12:39:40 am »
That's 22222222222222 222 cool! :)  Samson knows "drop that burger you stole off of the grill"!....lol!

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 05:42:58 am »
He sounds like a wonderfully smart and entertaining dog.

You should be going around to schools teaching kids basic dog safety and responsible dog ownership.

He would be a great instructor.

:D

You can find some info on how to get started at AKC. Search for their "Best Friends" program  at http://www.akc.org

You have to share some pictures of your smarty pants doggie.

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 07:00:27 am »
That's 22222222222222 222 cool! :)  Samson knows "drop that burger you stole off of the grill"!....lol!

Dixie and Sugar Bear know eat the burger you stole off the grill.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 07:50:13 am »
LOL!!!...In Sammy's defense he only did it once...& the drop it is something I felt like I had to say...He ate it. :-\

Nicole

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 08:02:55 am »
HAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAH! Doesn't every dog know that command, Gyp? They're BORN knowing that!

Mixedup- That is AWESOME! Totally brag-worthy! Redrye is right, you should be showing that doggie off in PUBLIC! And kids would LOVE it and be so inspired!

Actually, Redrye, maybe that's another topic....hmm.. .thanks!

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 11:49:13 am »
HaHa, that beats Niki, I tried to teach her to open the mailbox but she was afraid the lid would hit her in the face.  You have room to brag. Mine can carry a 12 pack into the house and put it on a shelf in the kitchen. (not a high shelf).  I am glad that someone else shares the joy of having your dog do all these little jobs.  It is unbelievable how much these animals LOVE doing these things.  I suppose we all need to be needed.  :D
Peggy

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005, 11:57:59 am »
BTW mixedup, I cannot see your avatar.  Just an x.  Could others see it?  Sometimes it is so frustrating because I really wanted to see the photo. hmmm
Peggy

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2005, 12:02:21 pm »
Ah Peggy...Niki is such a smart girl. I love seeing her in action!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.