Author Topic: Thomas the cat has passed  (Read 8551 times)

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Thomas the cat has passed
« on: August 18, 2007, 05:58:33 am »
My cat, Thomas, who had been fighting cancer since December, had to be euthanized today. He originally had three tumors-one on each kidney and one in his intestines. The tumors were very large, and he was given 2 days to 2 weeks to live and placed on steriods to help with pain management and to stimulate his appetite.

Thomas proved everyone wrong, though, and by early March, the tumors on his kidneys had shrunk and the one in his interestines had disappeared completely. I took him to the vet about a month ago, and he checked out fine. We agreed to do another ultrasound just to see how the tumors were doing (b/c they weren't noticeable during his physical exam).

On Wednesday, Thomas seemed lethargic-this was nothing new for him, though, b/c he was kind of a bum, but I kind of worried about it. Then on Thursday, I dropped by the vet and scheduled his ultrasound for the end of the month when his normal vet is due back in town. I told them that he was lethargic, but I was keeping an eye on him. That night, he didn't eat. I went out and bought him his favorite treats, offered him dog treats, etc. This is the same cat that broke into a new bag of dog food over the weekend and was meowing for dog treats when I was training the dogs on Saturday. So I took him in on Friday morning. His kidney numbers were all elevated, including his phosphorus, which I was told indicates end stage kidney failure. They gave him a catheter for fluids and said I could take him to an emergency vet to continue fluids for the night or I could take him home and bring him back today (Saturday). I chose to take him home. I didn't want him at the vet 24 hours a day for his last couple of days. The first vet thought he'd make it until Monday, and they'd recheck his blood then. She didn't sound optimistic, but she did make it seem like he had a little while left. The vet who was there when I picked him up on Friday told me she didn't think he would recover and that his kidneys were failing.

Last night, he hardly moved around at all. He slept curled up in my arms for about half the night, only moving under the bed when I got up in the middle of the night. He looked like he was finished, though-his eyes said it. My ex-boyfriend was coming down today to see him, though, so I took him in this morning for the fluids for the day. I got a call around 2:30 from the second vet saying that he was worse and that they could let me do subcutaneous fluids and take him to an emergency vet tomorrow if needed. The implied "or" was that we could put him down. My ex and I drove over to the vet, and I chose to let him go. We got to sit with him for a while and the vet techs, who absolutely adored Thomas, set up a buffet of tuna, treats, clams, and even a plastic bag (his favorite thing to eat...). He didn't touch any of it, but they tried. They let me choose clay for his pawprints, and he sat on my lap while the vet cleaned his catheter then injected the anesthsia and the medication to stop his heart.

Thank you to all of you who wished him well before. It definitely worked out for him, and we were lucky to have another 8 months of good, quality time. He felt fine, acted like a normal cat... He was a lucky little guy. The vet told me during his last visit (his normal vet) that now when he gets a cat with a mass, they think maybe they'll try steriods and the cat will "do a Thomas". This is the vet that cried about him doing so well, too. I wish he had been there today, but the rest of the staff at the hospital was great.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 06:12:59 am by macybean »

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas the cat has passed
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 06:00:08 am »
More pictures of my baby...

He was the most mellow, laid-back cat I've ever met. You could take him to Petsmart, and he'd let you carry him around or sit on the conveyor belt at the checkout and just roll along to the cashier. Anywhere he went, he thought he was the king and owned the place. He loved to sit on his butt-even when he wasn't cleaning himself-and watch the world around him. In the last couple of weeks, he decided he'd try to become an escape artist and get a look at the great outdoors. He turned his nose up at canned cat food but would eat any type of plastic bag left within reach. He was a vet favorite, too. He would put up with anything.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 06:15:53 am by macybean »

angelsmama

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 06:03:44 am »
oh im soooo sorry :( we had bee nthere and done that with our old cat heidi who passed a year ago,, she was sick and the vet said she wouldnt make it through the night we brought her home to die and heidi made it another 2 years, RIP sweet thomas :-*

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 05:34:07 pm »
OMG, that is a heart breaking story. I am all teared up for Thomas right now! What a wonderfully unique kitty personality he had, and how awesome that you got to share your home with him! Cats are really cool, and I've had cats that do cool stuff, but what you describe of Thomas sounds just extraordinary. What great memories, and your pictures really tell the story! I love the mirror one, the car one, and the one of him by the laptop where he looks like he's saying, "Uh - do you MIND? I'd like a little PRIVACY please??". So sorry for your loss...meow Thomas kitty - you'll be missed...
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 06:27:59 pm »
I am so sorry for your loss. The time they/we have with them is never enough  :'( Sending hugs, take care
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 03:20:33 am »
I'm so sorry to hear about Thomas.  The pics of him are awesome.  He's so gorgeous.  Big hugs to you.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 11:39:26 am »
I'm so sorry!  RIP sweet Thomas.   :'(
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 03:56:24 pm »
awwwww.. I am so sorry to hear about Thomas.
RIP sweet boy

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 06:17:22 pm »
so sorry for your loss  :'(  he sounds like he was a great friend
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 10:56:12 pm »
im so sorry, thomas looked like such a sweetie. it's a realy neat story that you have about the last year of his life, you can realy give other people hope that were in your situation of having only days left with their loved one. hes such a doll baby, sending great big dane hugs your way.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown