Author Topic: Nail Trimming Trick  (Read 11575 times)

EllieAndBlu

Nail Trimming Trick
« on: August 21, 2007, 05:16:27 pm »
Just had to share with y'all....

Okay - so I am obsessed with Blu's nails... they are too long and curl down and I am sure are bothersome for him...

Now the big guy is not a fan of nail trimming and it usually doesn't go too well unless my roommate holds him whuile I trim...and she is not always a willing participant... and getting Blu to the vet every week to get the nails down to size is nearly impossible...

so last night I came up with an idea and it worked like a charm...  I put an E-collar on him... the poor guy just stood there stunned... meanwhile I trimmed his nails!  ;D

Now if only it would work for Ellie... unfortunately she LOVES her E-collar and thinks it is a fashion accessory.. so it would not slow her down for one second!

Anakalia

Re: Nail Trimming Trick
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 05:20:54 pm »
That's a super good idea! lol  The visual of him standing there looking shocked/embarassed while you clip his nails is just too funny!  It took us a long time to teach Koby not to freak out when clipping his nails, honestly I gave up and let Tony take over that job.  :D

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 05:21:01 pm »
Oh that sounds like a job made easier. Merri gives me a such a hard time. Annie actally gives me her paws and Tripper doesn't seem to like it too much either. He screams like he's being killed.

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 05:26:45 pm »
That's a super good idea! lol  The visual of him standing there looking shocked/embarassed while you clip his nails is just too funny!  It took us a long time to teach Koby not to freak out when clipping his nails, honestly I gave up and let Tony take over that job.  :D

Oh the look on his face was priceless...  I will have to take pics next time! For starters the e-coller is a stunning see-through red...LOL

When I would finish a paw and lift my head... Blu's face would be right there, looking at me, defeated... I couldn't help by chuckle and give him a treat.  :)

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 05:43:42 pm »
Are all pyrs weird about their dew claws?

All mine are. I'm guessing they are more sensitive? Or because they can't really see what we're doing? Not sure but mine hate it! Annie doesn't mind the rest of her paws but the dews are always a struggle and I end up clippin gtoo much.

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 06:54:13 pm »
That's a fabulous idea. Do you supposed it would be wrong for me to put an e-collar on my 19 month old son when I do his nails?
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 08:44:06 pm »
HA!!!  I don't know which is funnier ... the picture in my head of Blu shocked with the e-collar on, or Elli thinking it's a fashion accessory! 

I think Elli and Keagan should date. He can bring his lampshade and she can wear her e-collar.  Zexy!

Ooooh ... I agree!  They would be a PERFECT match!  ;D

OMG - they would be sooooo cute together... and maybe, just maybe... if Ellie doesn't ruin her chances.... Keagan could become my dog-in-law! MUST get the "shady couple" together ASAP!   ;)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 08:44:54 pm by EllieAndBlu »

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 01:03:03 am »
An E-collar, what a great idea. Now I just need to get one big enough for Zander. He absolutely hates to have his nails cut, and at 85 lbs of solid muscle, his nails have not been trimmed in a while. ::)
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 04:23:22 pm »
An E-collar, what a great idea. Now I just need to get one big enough for Zander. He absolutely hates to have his nails cut, and at 85 lbs of solid muscle, his nails have not been trimmed in a while. ::)

I got Blu and Ellie's at PetSmart... they come in a variety of sizes and are adjustable.

(Blu doesn't look nearly as "happy" sporting his red collar, as the model pictured...lol)

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 04:30:27 pm by EllieAndBlu »

Offline newfie owner

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • molly our furry baby xxx
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 12:02:05 am »
sounds kinda silly but what is an e collar please?? l haven't heard of them,l'm in the UK
owners of
molly-6 month old newfie pup aswell as other pets

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 12:10:37 am »

Mine are as well! Trying to trim nails around here is a joke. It must have taken us an hour to trim ONLY their dewclaws a couple weeks ago. Hubby was being tossed about the floor like a ragdoll while trying to get somebody to hold still for me, then the chasing begun, he finally tried holding yiska up in the air which worked best.

I can't even lay a finger on their dewclaws without them completely freaking to pieces. Weird. Somehow I don't think an e collar would phase mine one bit, but it's definitely worth a try.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 12:10:53 am by mama2many »

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 01:12:35 am »
sounds kinda silly but what is an e collar please?? l haven't heard of them,l'm in the UK

an e-collar is a cone used to go around a dog's head after surgery so they don't chew on their stitches.... see pic below.

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 09:10:41 am »
hahaha that's a good idea, I just clip Max's while he's sleeping, Chevy's i havent ever had to clip, and Boog is easily sidetracked with something delicious to chew on.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 09:27:00 am »

Hubby was being tossed about the floor like a ragdoll while trying to get somebody to hold still for me, then the chasing begun, he finally tried holding yiska up in the air which worked best.

Yep, that's the best way to clip claws around here, too.  We call it the fork lift hold.  Hubby puts his arms under the dog's belly and lifts them up.  I sit underneath the pup and clip claws.  Kinda think of it as changing the oil while the car's on a lift.   :D  ::)  :D  It works for us....  I'll keep the e-collar in mind though, it's sounds like a great idea, especially for the heavier dogs.  Oh and for the ones that hate to have their dews clipped, I'd just clip everything else first and do the dews last.  Follow with a nice chewy for the dog and a bowl of ice cream or a glass of wine for you.  ;)  ;D  Then everyone ends up happy.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees