Author Topic: Hmm.....  (Read 9363 times)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
Hmm.....
« on: August 21, 2007, 07:54:19 pm »
Miles has been sleeping ALOT the last couple of days ( I mean, he IS a puppy, but a little more than usual)......and he has seemed to turn his nose up at his food!

Yesterday my boyfriend fed him before he went to work and there was a little left over. Then, he wouldnt eat for me th rest of the day!

I've tried feeding him twice today so far but he just looks at it then goes and lays down. He is still drinking water, and when he is awake, he's playful.

Do you think he's just not hungry, or what?

We're going to the vet today and I may bring it up, but I think I'm just worrying too much. haha

If he wasn't a puppy, I wouldnt care so much that he wasn't eating. They usually eat when they're hungry I suppose? ???
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

marypyrs

Re: Hmm.....
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 08:42:03 pm »
I would certainly ask. I always make a list of questions to take along to the Vet. Otherwise I forget until I'm on my way home.  :-\

Pyrs eat very little for their size when they mature. And while certain growth spurts stop for a while. But at this young age he should be eating three smaller meals a day rather than two. What are you feeding him? He's such a Doll!  ;) A real sweetie.  :-*

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 08:50:18 pm »
Well, I just moistened his food and showed it to him, then he ate it.

I feed him Canidae. I feed him 1/2 cup three times a day (except for yesterday since he wouldnt eat).

He did have hookworms when I took him to the vet last. I wonder if that could be causing this. His gums are sort of pale to me. hmm.....
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 09:02:17 pm »
Well, it sounds like he is a tipical Pyr pup to me. At this age they sleep a lot...I mean like 23 hours  :o
He is not hungry because all he does is sleep. Just give him sometime and don't worry. As long as he is playfull when awake and drinks water he is fine  :-*
What a cutie! Please post more pictures  ;D
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 11:28:47 pm »
Well, we just got back from the vet. He said he is probably anemic because of the hookworms. Those blood suckers! >:(

He didn't seem TOO concerned. He gave him some vitamin supplement that I need to give to him for the next 3 weeks. I didnt bring in a stool sample (since he hasn't been eating), and I asked if he wanted to give him another dewormer and he didn't! I'm sure he still has those things though. Otherwise, don't you think he'd be getting better instead of worse?

The vet said he'd give him a dewormer next time if he still had them. But, that's not for a month. Do you think that's too long to wait? I guess we'll see what happens with this stuff I am supposed to give him....

My poor baby boy :(

On a side note, I guess maybe he's not hungry because he sleeps all the time too. haha
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 11:49:16 pm »
Well, we just got back from the vet. He said he is probably anemic because of the hookworms. Those blood suckers! >:(

He didn't seem TOO concerned. He gave him some vitamin supplement that I need to give to him for the next 3 weeks. I didnt bring in a stool sample (since he hasn't been eating), and I asked if he wanted to give him another dewormer and he didn't! I'm sure he still has those things though. Otherwise, don't you think he'd be getting better instead of worse?

The vet said he'd give him a dewormer next time if he still had them. But, that's not for a month. Do you think that's too long to wait? I guess we'll see what happens with this stuff I am supposed to give him....

My poor baby boy :(

On a side note, I guess maybe he's not hungry because he sleeps all the time too. haha
Yes, puppies only need to be dewormed ones a month for the first 4 months. Then, only ones a year. What kind of vitamin supplement did he give you?
Mary W. Crane

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 12:27:44 am »
He gave me Pet-Tinic Pediatric Drops. It "is a palatable oral iron, copper, B-complex vitamin, and liver supplement." He said if he is indeed anemic (which to me, he seems to be), it should help him alot. Glad to hear the dewormer is only needed once a month.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 02:50:08 am »
Yes, puppies only need to be dewormed ones a month for the first 4 months. Then, only ones a year.

So does this mean that the medicine for the worms that he got two weeks ago are still effective and working? Because it seems he has gotten worse than better. Ya know?
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 04:48:50 am »
Actually puppies should be wormed at 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 5 weeks and then 7 weeks and monthly thereafter until they go on Heartworm meds (which suppress further worms) But for hookworm our vet uses Drontal or Panacur 3 days cause the normal puppy wormer pyrantel pamoate is not really effective for hook or whip.

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 05:44:13 am »
Hmmm. Do you think I should go back to get him wormed again in a few days if he doesnt get better? I mean, I think the wormer they gave him didn't work much. He got the yellow stuff (if you know what kind that is. haha I have the name of this somewhere.) The woman I got him from said she wormed them 2 or 3 times with an otc wormer....hmmm m.I am assuming he was wormed at 2, 3, 5 weeks. Then 7 weeks when I took him to the vet. All I know is that he is not feeling like himself and I need those nasty blood sucking things to go! He probably needs a different type, like the Drontal or Panacur as you suggest, patrick.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 03:42:15 pm »
Hmmm, I know my breeders vet used Drontal just before she shipped him to me. At his first vet visit here I brought in a stool sample and all was clear. I suggest trying the Drontal. Call your vet and see if he can be treated again so soon after the last treatment and if so get it done. It will put your mind to rest too.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 04:08:53 pm »
Actually puppies should be wormed at 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 5 weeks and then 7 weeks and monthly thereafter until they go on Heartworm meds (which suppress further worms) But for hookworm our vet uses Drontal or Panacur 3 days cause the normal puppy wormer pyrantel pamoate is not really effective for hook or whip.
Yes, that's what I meant...monthl y after you bring them home  ;)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 04:09:12 pm by People Whisperer »
Mary W. Crane

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 06:05:28 pm »
when axle got whip worms and hook worms, i believe he got the Panacur (is that the white powder you put in their food???  our vet gave us a white powder to give them for 3 days) for a 3 day treatment.  it worked really well.  not sure how that would work with puppies though, as when that happened none of our neighborhood dogs were puppies (i paid for it all b/c some people couldn't afford it and i wasn't going to have a round robin going on because of that)
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 05:10:31 am »
Thank you everyone for all your replies.

Miles is feeling a bit better now it seems. He is still not his old self, but getting better.

Today I got some Merrick Puppyhood canned food and mixed a bit in with his Canidae and he actually ate! FINALLY! For the first time in a good 2-3 days. I was (and still am) so excited!

I understand pyrs don't eat as much as they look like they would, but since he is a pup, I would expect him to be eating much more than he was. He needs to gain some weight. Those worms have alot to do with him not gaining weight I'm sure. Behind all that hair he seems pretty slim to me. He has only gained 2 pounds in two weeks! The vet said that is much better than a loss though (and of course I agree.)

While I was at the pet store purchasing a can of that food for him to try, I also got him his first bully stick! And boy does he love it! It seems it has certainly perked him up alot! He was chewing and chewing and chewing on that thing! I've never seen him like a chewy/bone os much before! Thanks DOG for bully sticks.  ;)
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees